Squad For Ireland And England Games - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Ireland And England Games

wanderer

Who gives a badger what he looks like? Ive said it already but there are better players at a better levek who deserve a chance ahead of him.

How would you know, you've admitted to only seeing him play once. I've seen Pawlett 3 times and Jack twice so does that make me an expert on them?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the Aberdeen lads mentioned have done enough to merit a place in the squad, and neither has Lewis McLeod. Rhodes, Russell, cairney and arfield have a right to be aggrieved at mcleods inclusion however...

Rhodes has no right to moan. Hes not playing well just now, from what I've seen and is the wrong fit for our style. I wish folk would stop banging on about him. He's not really good enough.

I feel sorry for Arfield though as by all accounts he's having another good season, although others have pointed out Burnley haven't won a game yet, so how good can he really be?

Not seen Russell this season but never thought he was up to it when he was at Utd and getting over hyped so doubt he's up to it now. Happy to hear otherwise if I'm wrong.

Squad is as expected. Pleasantly surprised with Lewis McLeod's inclusion although I'm of course biased. He is undoubtedly Rangers biggest prospect at the moment. He will be no where near the team and for me still has everything to prove at a higher level but inclusion in the squad can only help his development so I don't see the harm in it. He has also performed well for the under 21's when he has played so this seems like a natural progression.

I always chuckle when I see the squad list and the subsequent reaction on here and other sites. Words such as disgrace, shambles, disgusting being used because Strachan is taking a youngster in a 27 man squad for a bit of experience.

The daft thing is that those posters moaning like hell about this player or that player not being included how many of you actually watch these guys on a weekly basis? Ok Aberdeen fans unhappy with Pawlett or Jack not being included. Fair enough you watch them every week so I would expect that, but guys like Arfield? How many of us on here watch Arfield on a regular basis. Or is it simply a case of 'he plays for a Premiership club'? Alan Hutton never played a club game for months and was still in our starting 11 and was playing well at that time.

Our manager will be keeping tabs on all of his squad players, he will be having them watched regularly or going to watch them himself. We have made fantastic progress under Strachan so far so when it comes to squad time I think we need to trust him a little bit.

Keep in mind this is a guy who as a player won the league north and south of the border, has won a European trophy, played and scored at a World Cup finals and played for his country 50 times. As a manager he has won league titles and taken an unfancied club to the FA cup final as well as going to the last 16 of the Champion League with a Scottish Club.......and yet there are STILL dafties in our support that think they know better than him. I think it's safe to say Gordon knows a player when he sees one. Thank feck he is in charge and not some of you lot :-)):-))

I always chuckle when I see the squad list and the subsequent reaction on here and other sites. Words such as disgrace, shambles, disgusting being used because Strachan is taking a youngster in a 27 man squad for a bit of experience.

Strachan now seems to have a settled squad, with probably up to 90% of it made up of players he will call up regardless and without question..... after this you have a list of guys like Reynolds, Bryson, Adam, McDonald, McCormack, Griffiths etc who are in one squad, then gone in the next, before resurfacing further down the line in a squad, plus now and again he might pull a fast one and stick in a shocker like George Boyd, Matt Phillips, Jamie Mackie etc because they are having a good bit of form at that time, but over this year these are becoming rarer and rarer with Strachan, to the point where everyone can name his full squad and the only question mark is who will be the kid in this squad that is tagging along.

Strachan now seems to have a settled squad, with probably up to 90% of it made up of players he will call up regardless and without question..... after this you have a list of guys like Reynolds, Bryson, Adam, McDonald, McCormack, Griffiths etc who are in one squad, then gone in the next, before resurfacing further down the line in a squad, plus now and again he might pull a fast one and stick in a shocker like George Boyd, Matt Phillips, Jamie Mackie etc because they are having a good bit of form at that time, but over this year these are becoming rarer and rarer with Strachan, to the point where everyone can name his full squad and the only question mark is who will be the kid in this squad that is tagging along.

Correct

I mean I realise it's all about opinions but the way some go on you would think Strachan just gets championship manager out and picks his squad from there.

With regards the youngsters I think it's a positive thing. It's the same reasons club managers get the kids to train with the first team and stick them on the bench for games. Strachan has a duty to try and pick our best squad but at the same time he also needs to think about future teams and squads.

You would think McLeod had just been handed the Captaincy the way some folk are going on :-))

Can you imagine what this place would've been like if it was around in the 70s and 80s, considering some of the players we left out back then!...

With regards the youngsters I think it's a positive thing. It's the same reasons club managers get the kids to train with the first team and stick them on the bench for games. Strachan has a duty to try and pick our best squad but at the same time he also needs to think about future teams and squads.

I have no problem with it and think it should be applauded. Last squad it was Gauld, this squad its MacLeod... squad for the March friendly/Gibraltar it might be Jordan Archer, Jack Harper, Jordan McGhee etc..... (though for that squad I wish he would use the chance since we are effectively playing a glorified pub team to name 3 or 4 in his squad rather than just one).

Can you imagine what this place would've been like if it was around in the 70s and 80s, considering some of the players we left out back then!...

Doesn't bear thinking about. As I said already I understand it's all about opinions but I don't think there is anyone left out that would actually be pushing for a place in the team. The only player that applied to in recent squads is Bardsley IMO. He is now in so I don't really see the issue.

I have no problem with it and think it should be applauded. Last squad it was Gauld, this squad its MacLeod... squad for the March friendly/Gibraltar it might be Jordan Archer, Jack Harper, Jordan McGhee etc..... (though for that squad I wish he would use the chance since we are effectively playing a glorified pub team to name 3 or 4 in his squad rather than just one).

Aye not a bad shout mate and something I would most definitely support.

As I've said many times, Strachan knows what he is doing. He has a proven track record and everyone in the game agrees we are progressing as a team. Happy to follow his judgement.

Edited by Angus_Young

It was interesting to hear Strachan say yesterday that they called up Andy Robertson under similar circumstances but he played so well in training they couldn't leave him out. Albeit it was a friendly (Nigeria?)...

It was interesting to hear Strachan say yesterday that they called up Andy Robertson under similar circumstances but he played so well in training they couldn't leave him out. Albeit it was a friendly (Nigeria?)...

Poland friendly in March?

More than likely Strachan is only calling them up for just a look, but if they put the effort in at training, then naturally it will catch Strachans attention (probably nature of it being a friendly added to it, as I doubt he would take the gamble for a qualifier) as that is what probably prevented Gauld getting any match action last month (at best MacLeod might feature in the closing stages v England)

Edited by wanderer

if mcleod has no chance of being near the team hed be better playing in the under 21s and getting a call up and game in a friendly at a later date

I think Strachan is using the chance while he can..... earlier this year he was moaning in the press that he wants to call up 18/19 year old kids like Gauld to see what they have to offer in the squad, but the U21's always have a game, so he never gets the chance.

Probably Strachan feels that there is nothing wrong taking 1 or 2 players here and there (as that will give someone else a chance in the U21's in their absence).

Squad is as expected. Pleasantly surprised with Lewis McLeod's inclusion although I'm of course biased. He is undoubtedly Rangers biggest prospect at the moment. He will be no where near the team and for me still has everything to prove at a higher level but inclusion in the squad can only help his development so I don't see the harm in it. He has also performed well for the under 21's when he has played so this seems like a natural progression.

The daft thing is that those posters moaning like hell about this player or that player not being included how many of you actually watch these guys on a weekly basis? Ok Aberdeen fans unhappy with Pawlett or Jack not being included. Fair enough you watch them every week so I would expect that, but guys like Arfield? How many of us on here watch Arfield on a regular basis. Or is it simply a case of 'he plays for a Premiership club'? Alan Hutton never played a club game for months and was still in our starting 11 and was playing well at that time.

Our manager will be keeping tabs on all of his squad players, he will be having them watched regularly or going to watch them himself. We have made fantastic progress under Strachan so far so when it comes to squad time I think we need to trust him a little bit.

Keep in mind this is a guy who as a player won the league north and south of the border, has won a European trophy, played and scored at a World Cup finals and played for his country 50 times. As a manager he has won league titles and taken an unfancied club to the FA cup final as well as going to the last 16 of the Champion League with a Scottish Club.......and yet there are STILL dafties in our support that think they know better than him. I think it's safe to say Gordon knows a player when he sees one. Thank feck he is in charge and not some of you lot :-)):-))

Great Post Sir :ok:

We're obvioulsy not quite there yet, but we aint a million miles away. It wasn't so long ago that there was only a maximum of 1 or 2 players playing regularly in the EPL (D.Fletcher and McFadden) Now we have Bardsley, Adam, Arfield, Dorrans, Boyd, Philips who are playing in that division who aren't always picked. Then add in £10m and £11m strikers in the championship who don't even get a spot.

It seems every squad that crops up there is another 2 or 3 players that are staking a claim for a position. It really does show how far we have come.

Also, the fact Strachan can call up a different in-form wonder kid every squad speaks volumes about our future prospects.

None of the Aberdeen lads mentioned have done enough to merit a place in the squad, and neither has Lewis McLeod. Rhodes, Russell, cairney and arfield have a right to be aggrieved at mcleods inclusion however...

Rhodes and Russell have absolutley no reason to be aggrieved at MacLeod's inclusion given that they play a different position to him. Should they be pissed off at Matt Gilkes getting picked ahead of them too?!

Living in Aberdeen i can safely say its Not everyone but most peoples problem with Macleod is he plays for Rangers and no dons players are in the squad. Quite sad actually

That's it in a nutshell. Simply because he is a Rangers player.

Rhodes and Russell have absolutley no reason to be aggrieved at MacLeod's inclusion given that they play a different position to him. Should they be pissed off at Matt Gilkes getting picked ahead of them too?!

Is McLeod not a midfielder/striker? Is Rhodes not a striker? Is Russell not a midfielder/striker? Similar in my book. He has not really been picked for cover for the first team anyway, more to be intergrated into the squad. I only pointed out that the said players can feel aggrieved at their lack of inclusion in the Scotland squad over a player that has NEVER even played at the highest level in Scotland.

I have no problem with him being in the squad, I just think it is far too soon.

How would you know, you've admitted to only seeing him play once. I've seen Pawlett 3 times and Jack twice so does that make me an expert on them?

He is playing at a shite level and shouldnt be near the squad. There are players playing at a good level way above his who arent getting a look in. Sorry but the scottish second division is not where we should be getting inter ational players from, even if it i just to have him around the squad.

Living in Aberdeen i can safely say its Not everyone but most peoples problem with Macleod is he plays for Rangers and no dons players are in the squad. Quite sad actually

My problem is he plays at a shite level. Dont care if hes at rangers, hearts or hibs or any other team in that league, its not a good enough level