Squad For Ireland And England Games - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Ireland And England Games

wanderer

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry Ferguson was better for Scotland tbh. I know there is good reason to dislike but that doesn't take away from his playmaking ability and ball retention.

Cracking player with piss poor attitude. Had some amazing games when he could be bothered but was disruptive influence for club and country.

Hence why he played out his career at likes of Blackburn and Fleetwood. Wasted talent.

Chris burke is a waste of a jersey, and to exclude Rhodes for mcleod is just fecking shocking. No sign of Rhodes, Russell, Bryson or Cairney. I hope wgs knows what he is doing!

How could he be omitting Rhodes for MaCleod?

They're not even close to playing in the same position!!

MaCleod is the young player being called up to have a look at.

As someone recently posted, the ROI game is a must win and we should have the strongest possible squad available without bringing guys in just for experience imo

It's only one place out of 27!

If we can't get a strong enough team from the 26 others we might as well give up the ghost.

It's only one place out of 27!

If we can't get a strong enough team from the 26 others we might as well give up the ghost.

As some else said, we should be more concerned that our top scorer in the squad only has 5 goals, rather than giving a youngster a taste of the international set-up..... :wink2:

Only six pages and at least five or six posts that don't actually mention Lewis MacLeod - how I yearn for the TAMB of old.

Three years ago and we would have had a The The The The Rangers (founded in 2011 by ra way), post fest. The manager would be getting hung out to dry for even looking at a Rangers player and Scotty would be on his seventieth post about how if you add up the vowels in Lewis MacLeods name multiply them with the number of caps Aberdeen players have got in the past fifty years and subtract the number of the Cathcart Lodge you would get 11.

In saying that, Reeky and Rossy have still to get in from work, so there's time :D

Congratulations to Lewis on his first Scotland cap, here's hoping he fulfils his potential and it's the first of many :ok:

TT

Only six pages and at least five or six posts that don't actually mention Lewis MacLeod - how I yearn for the TAMB of old.

Three years ago and we would have had a The The The The Rangers (founded in 2011 by ra way), post fest. The manager would be getting hung out to dry for even looking at a Rangers player and Scotty would be on his seventieth post about how if you add up the vowels in Lewis MacLeods name multiply them with the number of caps Aberdeen players have got in the past fifty years and subtract the number of the Cathcart Lodge you would get 11.

In saying that, Reeky and Rossy have still to get in from work, so there's time :D

Congratulations to Lewis on his first Scotland cap, here's hoping he fulfils his potential and it's the first of many :ok:

TT

Let's hope you're jumping the gun a bit eh.

TT

Call up....it's a call up not a cap....yet. :ok::-))

Most depressing thing about that squad list is Darren Fletcher as our top scorer with 5 goals. :/ Equal to Steven Fletcher and Naismith combined. Grim reading.

Can not really see that changing..... Steven Fletcher might get a goal here and there, but he will probably not break any goalscoring records with Scotland.

Strachan has us playing a style where our lone striker is planted up top to defend from the front, and rather than get on the end of crosses or shot towards goal, he is there to keep the the ball up and set up chances for Snoddgrass, Nasmith and Ayna to get on the end of, rather than attempt for goal himself.

27-man squad and folk are moaning about a young player that almost certainly won't feature.

It's a good chance for the manager to see a possible future cap in training and get him used to the squad should his career kick on over the next 12-months (like Robertsons has).

It sends a positive message to young players that the manager is watching and a place in the squad is achievable.

I'd rather the manager picked players like Watt, Gauld, McDonald and McGregor than players that will NEVER make an impact at this level and has just been called up to make up the numbers.

The squad looks good to me and we can get a good result against Ireland.

This. Only change would be Burke out for a Cairney type. Like Cairney. Overall happy though

Given the players who have been called up 'for experience', I'd suggest its more likely to lead folk to think that he isn't watching.

As I said before, how will this resonate with the kids at Killie, Hamilton & ICT? Jeez, you could even suggest the kids at Hearts have the right to be a bit miffed given that most of them have played in the top division and they are currently top of the league.

in a nutshell

Given the players who have been called up 'for experience', I'd suggest its more likely to lead folk to think that he isn't watching.

As I said before, how will this resonate with the kids at Killie, Hamilton & ICT? Jeez, you could even suggest the kids at Hearts have the right to be a bit miffed given that most of them have played in the top division and they are currently top of the league.

i don't think the youngsters at Hearts are at that stage yet.

In time i think there will be a few of them going on to play for Scotland, especially Jordan McGhee, but not for a while

Let's hope you're jumping the gun a bit eh.

Call up....it's a call up not a cap....yet. :ok::-))

He'll play against England, got to keep the fans happy :wink2::D

TT

That's a good squad. Arfield and Cairney might've been worth a call up, but not a huge deal. I'm not too keen on The Rangers at all, but no issue with MacLeod getting the call up. Strachan seems to like to take a young inexperienced player in each squad. Gives them a taster to then push on and work hard to get a regular call up. Plus, is it not the case that Strachan lives doon soof and doesn't really attend Scottish club games? He'll instead prioritise the youngsters that he hears are highly rated and wants to take a closer look at.

Most depressing thing about that squad list is Darren Fletcher as our top scorer with 5 goals. :/ Equal to Steven Fletcher and Naismith combined. Grim reading.

Here's a breakdown of goal scorers:

Christophe Berra a goal every 14

Grant Hanley a goal every 15
Ikechi Anya a goal every 4.5
Scott Brown a goal every 10
Chris Burke a goal every 3.5
Darren Fletcher a goal every 12.8
Shaun Maloney a goal every 11.6667
James McArthur a goal every 17
James Morrison a goal every 11.3333
Charlie Mulgrew a goal every 7
Steven Fletcher a goal every 17
Steven Naismith a goal every 8
Based on that, most likely to score is Anya, then Mulgrew, then Naismith...

Aye, that £4million fee, back to back player of the season awards for Brighton in the Championship and 17 appearances for Sunderland in the Premier League is dwarfed by Ryan Jack's bossing of bottom of the table Ross County midfield :ok:

Nae doubt you'll still be miffed at Langfield being overlooked by Scotland as well. Got to love those red tinted specs :-))

He's a Sunderland reserve. No way do i believe he's a better option than Jack.

Ross McCormack cost £11million, Rhodes about £10million. Yet neither are in the squad. Just because English teams pay stupid money for average players, it doesn't mean they are great.

Langfield is nowhere near good enough for international level.

Jack is the only Aberdeen player who deserves to be in the squad IMO. I'm doubtful as to whether Reynolds is good enough for International level.

He's a Sunderland reserve. No way do i believe he's a better option than Jack.

Ross McCormack cost £11million, Rhodes about £10million. Yet neither are in the squad. Just because English teams pay stupid money for average players, it doesn't mean they are great.

Langfield is nowhere near good enough for international level.

Jack is the only Aberdeen player who deserves to be in the squad IMO. I'm doubtful as to whether Reynolds is good enough for International level.

:ok::ok::ok:

Here's a breakdown of goal scorers:

Christophe Berra a goal every 14

Grant Hanley a goal every 15

Ikechi Anya a goal every 4.5

Scott Brown a goal every 10

Chris Burke a goal every 3.5

Darren Fletcher a goal every 12.8

Shaun Maloney a goal every 11.6667

James McArthur a goal every 17

James Morrison a goal every 11.3333

Charlie Mulgrew a goal every 7

Steven Fletcher a goal every 17

Steven Naismith a goal every 8

Based on that, most likely to score is Anya, then Mulgrew, then Naismith...

No it's not, it's Chris Burke. Maybe that's why he keeps getting picked?...

Not too fussed over the MacLeod thing. Seems that he's the token youngster in the squad in for experience, just like Gauld, McGregor, Pawlett, have been in recent times. Still think there's players more deserving of a place, but oh well.

Not many surprises other than that.

No it's not, it's Chris Burke. Maybe that's why he keeps getting picked?...

Chris Burke has a better ratio, but he isn't going to get on the pitch.

I guess Berra isn't either. Everyone else has a good chance though.

There's a positive: we might not have a proven goal scorer, but we have 10 players who're all likely to be involved that have scored in the past.

Guest faircity

I personally don't feel Lewis is ready for the squad, however, Strachan obviously see's him as part of his plans and for young players in Scotland, it is undeniable he is probably our top talent.

Who else would people have in instead?

Well is he or is he not?