Lets discuss out 23/26 man squad - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lets discuss out 23/26 man squad

Pretty much picks itself I think…

goalies - Gunn, Gordon, clarke

defence - hickey, Robertson, Porteous, Hanley, tierney, Patterson, hendry, McKenna, taylor

mid -  gilmour, mcgregor, mcginnn, Mctominay, Ferguson, McLean, Armstrong, Christie, Fraser

fwd - dykes, Adams, shankland

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

defence - hickey, Robertson, Porteous, Hanley, tierney, Patterson, hendry, McKenna, taylor

mid -  gilmour, mcgregor, mcginnn, Mctominay, Ferguson, McLean, Armstrong, Christie, Fraser

That's 24. I've got a feeling he'd drop Fraser from that lot if it was a 23, but I'd ditch Patterson. If it was a squad of 26, Doak could be a gamble. Rumours are he could be fit by the end of the season. It would be great having another striking option too, just worried he'd go for McBurnie.  

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

you say it pretty much picks itself but you have put Fraser in there who hasn't been named in a squad for a while?

Also can't see Greg Taylor going if its a squad of 23 and KT and Robbo are fit 

10 minutes ago, greigc96 said:

you say it pretty much picks itself but you have put Fraser in there who hasn't been named in a squad for a while?

Yeah, the question was who would I bring so added fraser.  The rest of the squad picks itself 😂

3 hours ago, greigc96 said:

To be honest I think he's a shoe-in and more likely KT fills in right side than Taylor getting dropped.  

17 hours ago, Malcolm said:

You read what Romanticscot had to say Malcolm ( Your selection ) 

It would be a strange world if we all picked the same 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I’m hoping UEFA announce the 26 man squad decision, will allow a bit of wiggle room for players who We or Clarke will select 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:48 PM, broraboy said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 I'm hoping UEFA announce the 26 man squad decision, will allow a bit of wiggle room for players who We or Clarke will select 

I'm a bit torn on that one. Yes we can get some potentials into the squad, but it also gives our opponents a larger pool of possibly better quality to pick from.

If I had to pick my squad today, with injuries/fitness and form as it is ...here is my squad.

GK - Gunn, Gordon, Clarke

DF - Robbo, Tierney, Porteous, Hickey, McKenna, Henry, Hanley, Doig, McCrorie

MF - Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean

FWD - Shankland, Adams, Dykes

If I can bring 26 - Gauld, Morgan, Conway

Not going to make it - Ferguson, Paterson I think both miss out. 

I won't bring Taylor, who IMO hasn't let us down, but I am investing in Doig for the future.

For my Right backs - I considered Ashby, McCrorie, Ralston and Cadden but I went with form and as I expect to be able to bring 26 I chose McCrorie he has a working relationship with Conway. Ralston isn't getting much game time. 

Fraser comes in with experience, hopefully a wiser head and for his form.

Hanley I am brining him, with the expectation his fitness improves in the next two months.

Gauld and Morgan have good form, and I am needing some different options from the beach as I think teams might have figured us out.  

GK; Gunn, Clark, Gordon

DF- Hanley, Souttar, Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Ralston

MF-Christie, McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean, Fraser

FWD-Dykes, Adams, Shankland

That makes 22 which leaves one wildcard. 

I would usually say one fewer CB but given the paucity of other options and we need cover for Tierney potentially.

If Hickey doesn't make it then McCrorie. Clarke will probably also take Taylor but I'd rather go 4 ATB than play him.

Given recent injuries, I see no real advantage for us if squad sizes are increased.

13 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

GK; Gunn, Clark, Gordon

DF- Hanley, Souttar, Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Ralston

MF-Christie, McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean, Fraser

That makes 22 which leaves one wildcard. 

I would usually say one fewer CB but given the paucity of other options and we need cover for Tierney potentially.

If Hickey doesn't make it then McCrorie. Clarke will probably also take Taylor but I'd rather go 4 ATB than play him.

Given recent injuries, I see no real advantage for us if squad sizes are increased.

Agree. If squad sizes increase to 26, Clarke will simply call on guys who’ve previously been in squads but shouldn’t be going eg Turnbull, Jack (although unlikely to be fit), Cooper rather than call up wild cards such as Conway, Doak, Gauld

In our last squad of 25 he picked 4 goalies and 1 too many centre backs, I think knowing that Hanley was injured. 

Since then Paterson, Ferguson and Armstrong are ruled out, McGregor is apparently fit and Hickey is hoping to be fit. So he’ll likely drop Kelly and Hanley to make it 23, swap McGregor for Ferguson and call up an attacking midfielder to replace Armstrong. I think this will likely be Fraser who Clarke knows and has played ok this season. 

So using that squad as a template it’ll be:

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark, Craig Gordon (both Hearts), Angus Gunn (Norwich)

Defenders: Liam Cooper (Leeds), Jack Hendry (Al-Ettifaq), Scott McKenna (Copenhagen), Ryan Porteous (Watford), Anthony Ralston (Celtic), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), John Souttar (Rangers), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Real Sociedad), Aaron Hickey

Midfielders: Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Billy Gilmour (Brighton), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Kenny McLean (Norwich), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), Callum McGregor, Ryan Fraser 

Forwards: Che Adams (Southampton), Lyndon Dykes (QPR), Lawrence Shankland (Hearts)

Only player in danger is Ralston due to lack of minutes. 

If it’s a 26 man squad he’ll probably just pick an extra defender, a central midfielder and a striker/winger

Probably Max Johnston or McCrorie as a RWB. 

Not too sure on the midfielder. He’s liked Turnbull before, Jack might be fit or he might try to tempt Anderson again. Gauld would be my pick.

Not sure on the striker/winger either. He’s liked McBurnie in the past or he might be rogue and pick Doak, but Forrest is more likely. 

If Armstrong now makes it, I'm going with the same as I wrote above plus him as I figure he wouldn't be playing full matches anyway. If Hickey is back and fit, the only big loss is Ferguson and things are looking up if McTominay isn't seriously injured. I still have a slight worry about McGinn being exhausted especially if Villa reach a European final. I expect Cooper to come in if Hanley isn't fit.

GK; Gunn, Clark, Gordon

MF-Christie, McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean, Armstrong, Fraser

25 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Struggling to add three more players to my above squad. There must be at least one wildcard. 

No doubt Cooper and Taylor will get picked 

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

No doubt Cooper and Taylor will get picked 

Of Cooper goes, one of Souttar and Hanley isn't going (assuming other CB's fit) so I don’t think that will add to the numbers. I also expect him to take Taylor especially if there are still doubts over Hickey. That leaves me 2 more spots. No ideas.

At this point we all know that Clarke loves the tried and tested. That’s for good reason tbf, but I can see 1 or 2 wildcards due to the squad extending to 26 and I would like to see Danny Armstrong from Killie called up. If Hickey does not make it I could see him starting RWB.

Edited by LyndonDykesheader9

23 hours ago, Toepoke said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDFiTi7IJQ-pLFlCL2KKJ

Though I think he generally did OK for us and had sone good performances (England, Austria away etc.), he is part of the reason I worry when people suggest SPL players for the squad. That's unless they've been outstanding performers like McGregor or Shankland. It's a big step up to go from solid or good SPL player to playing for Scotland. 

54 minutes ago, LyndonDykesheader9 said:

At this point we all know that Clarke loves the tried and tested. That’s for good reason tbf, but I can see 1 or 2 wildcards due to the squad extending to 26 and I would like to see Danny Armstrong from Killie called up. If Hickey does not make it I could see him starting RWB.

Speaking as a Killie fan I don't think Armstrong is good enough defensively to play that role at international level. Would be delighted to see him called up though, and he might offer something different in the final third. His assist numbers this season speak for themselves.