Germany tonight. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany tonight.

marinello

I think we may have to review our view of the hitherto unimpressive Germany.

Watched them outclass and outplay France in Lyon winning 2-0. Could have been more.

Solid throughout , athletic and each player knowing exactly what's expected of them.

So good were they that they resembled --- if not completely-- some of the outstanding German teams of years back.

Oh joy, oh joy!!!!

Aye when teams are aboot to play us, all of a sudden they improve, I cannae understand it, Germany looked shite until noo, Frances were ma bankers to beat the English f*****rs , but no the now…. Mind you was pleasant engerlund got beaten by 2nd rate Brazil team at home the night

They hadn't looked good before last night but they haven't played a compétitive match since the WC.

I can see it now: we play really well against Germany like we did for most of the Netherlands game but narrowly lose. We then get full of confidence that we can bear the other teams but don't. 

Could be like the last time we played the opening game  of a tournament in ‘98, narrow defeat. Going to be somewhere in Munich watching it so hope it’s not a trouncing. We really need to tighten up.

Our standard performance is opening defeat, bounce back with a good performance in the 2nd game to give ourselves a chance, then disappointment in the 3rd game. If we play like we can, take our chances and defend a bit better…If we do lose to Germany, even if it’s a bad one we have to just write it off and refocus on the other two games, maybe it’s better to get the Germany game out of the way first.

2 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Could be like the last time we played the opening game  of a tournament in ‘98, narrow defeat. Going to be somewhere in Munich watching it so hope it’s not a trouncing. We really need to tighten up.

Our standard performance is opening defeat, bounce back with a good performance in the 2nd game to give ourselves a chance, then disappointment in the 3rd game. If we play like we can, take our chances and defend a bit better…If we do lose to Germany, even if it’s a bad one we have to just write it off and refocus on the other two games, maybe it’s better to get the Germany game out of the way first.

Goal difference could be really important in the end , as you say we really need to tighten up there. Playing Germany first lets the other teams see what they have to beat. If we lose 4-0 and the rest of us take points off each other then Hungary and Switzerland just may just need to do better than lose 4-0  , plus Germany might not even need to win their final game. I am not sure playing Germany first is a help anyway whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Goal difference could be really important in the end , as you say we really need to tighten up there. Playing Germany first lets the other teams see what they have to beat. If we lose 4-0 and the rest of us take points off each other then Hungary and Switzerland just may just need to do better than lose 4-0  , plus Germany might not even need to win their final game. I am not sure playing Germany first is a help anyway whatsoever. 

This is always a problem and was probably why Ireland beat Germany in Euro 2016 qualifying. It probably worked to our advantage against Denmark in WC qualifying too.

I know it doesn't work like this, but if we have one bad performance, I'd rather it were in the first game as, even at our best, I can't see us beating Germany.

30 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

This is always a problem and was probably why Ireland beat Germany in Euro 2016 qualifying. It probably worked to our advantage against Denmark in WC qualifying too.

I know it doesn't work like this, but if we have one bad performance, I'd rather it were in the first game as, even at our best, I can't see us beating Germany.

I agree, if we have to lose to anyone I would rather it be Germany. But not by a huge margin as I feel we would be on the back foot constantly . 
Playing Germany at home in the opening game of the euros is going to be hugely different to playing Netherlands at home in a friendly. There was absolutely no real pressure on Netherlands the other night, yes , they will have wanted to win but they will not have panicked when we were the better team as there was not a huge amount riding on it.

On the other hand, if we can hold Germany at 0-0 for over an hour and also be holding our own, they absolutely will panic in such a big game. They could start making mistakes. I would hope we would not be making multiple subs like we did the other night either . The pressure may get too much for us in the end but it is very possible that any defeat is tight if we can keep the heid. 

Since 1929 the most Germany have ever beaten Scotland by is 2 goals - it happened at Euro 92

Every other defeat has been by one goal

And for everyone shitting it about facing Germany - did you actually watch their game against France ?

I know highlights don't always tell the whole story - but 99 times out of 100 Germany don't score their first goal

That was like something that happens at 6 a side down the pitz - where the other team are picking their arses whilst having a last draw on their fags

France should have been out of sight and it allowed Germany to sit in

One thing worth taking on board is the German squad for this match had an almost complete overhaul for the squad from the last matches with 19 changes between the two squads. Now that can over muddy the waters and over complicate things. It also tells me the boss is not sure of his best player/squad and also what his best team is. We have far less an issue on that front.

It's a shame this game is up first.

The current midfield options are the best for probably 30 years but Germany had generational talents in Writz and Musiala which puts things in perspective. And Kroos returning with his vast experience will also help at key points in a match.

I worry it's going to be that classic Scotland tournament scenario of giving everything v the top seeds just to lose narrowly or scramble a draw...and then have little left for the next two games e.g. France 98 or even the last Euros.

Wales had the right idea last time. Helped they had Italy last but they dug in to get a draw v Swiss and then peaked v Turkey in their must win game and they had 4 points right there and that was all they needed to get through.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:42 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

One thing worth taking on board is the German squad for this match had an almost complete overhaul for the squad from the last matches with 19 changes between the two squads. Now that can over muddy the waters and over complicate things. It also tells me the boss is not sure of his best player/squad and also what his best team is. We have far less an issue on that front.

They can overhaul their squad 3/4 times and it will still be better than ours so don't be fooled into thinking they don't know what their best team is, their quality is mad but i'm sure the manager has his top 11-15 players sorted out