U19s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 3/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Lost to Georgia today to go along with the loss to Italy the other day. Why do the SFA persist with the likes of hoofball Stark?

Yeah, I was trying to find the result. SFA very quiet on it. 2-3 loss. Stark needs to go. This group needs a proper manager. We don’t want a shambles of a set up that sees dual nationals leaving, and we need proper preparation for the first team. Arguably the best of these players most likely skip the u21s. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Lost to Georgia today to go along with the loss to Italy the other day. Why do the SFA persist with the likes of hoofball Stark?

Cheap option, I guess. Younger and/or better coaches don't see the role as career enhancing. 

19 hours ago, scotlad said:

Cheap option, I guess. Younger and/or better coaches don't see the role as career enhancing. 

They've also got the big get out clause that their "alleged" main role is preparing players for the first team rather than results. Funny as out of the last three young players to progress (Gilmour, Hickey and Patterson) none of them really played under 21s or 19s. In fact Hickey deliberately chose not to.  Anyway, young players are more likely to get in the first team through club performance rather than under age national teams. 

47 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

They've also got the big get out clause that their "alleged" main role is preparing players for the first team rather than results. Funny as out of the last three young players to progress (Gilmour, Hickey and Patterson) none of them really played under 21s or 19s. In fact Hickey deliberately chose not to.  Anyway, young players are more likely to get in the first team through club performance rather than under age national teams. 

It annoys me when they insinuate that it's about performances rather than results with the youth sides, considering the performances aren't that great in the first place. Also, I would guess that actually qualifying for tournaments and experiencing finals against the best sides are far more beneficial than just turning up for a kick about in the qualifiers

54 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

It annoys me when they insinuate that it's about performances rather than results with the youth sides, considering the performances aren't that great in the first place. Also, I would guess that actually qualifying for tournaments and experiencing finals against the best sides are far more beneficial than just turning up for a kick about in the qualifiers

I think that's been said about England a few times at non-senior level. No substitute for tournament experience.

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Billy Stark has retired!

Who will get the job - Peter Houston, Peter Grant or some other dinosaur/moron most likely?

Small bit of comfort on a wet miserable Tuesday afternoon 👍 

Let's hope Gemmill doesn't fancy his cushy number until pension 😪

40 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Billy Stark has retired!

Who will get the job - Peter Houston, Peter Grant or some other dinosaur/moron most likely?

Bound to be!

I'm torn between a highly techical coach from the  Netherlands or big John Hughes. That's not sarcasm, his sides play good passing football and I think he could get a real camaraderie going in a group of young players that would hopefully be continued as they progress to the full team. 

15 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'm torn between a highly techical coach from the  Netherlands or big John Hughes. That's not sarcasm, his sides play good passing football and I think he could get a real camaraderie going in a group of young players that would hopefully be continued as they progress to the full team. 

Big John Hughes. That would be a very very classic us appointment.

13 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Ian Cathro

I think he might be a good shout. Another name I'd thought of was Tam Courts, the ex-Dundee United youth coach and first team manager. They're both young coaches, and seemingly highly thought of - which is why they might not fancy working for the SFA at this stage of their careers 😂

Alternatively, John Hughes is someone who has a track record of success in club football and isn't working at the moment, so perhaps he'd fancy it.

On 4/3/2024 at 10:53 AM, scotlad said:

I think he might be a good shout. Another name I'd thought of was Tam Courts, the ex-Dundee United youth coach and first team manager. They're both young coaches, and seemingly highly thought of - which is why they might not fancy working for the SFA at this stage of their careers 😂

Alternatively, John Hughes is someone who has a track record of success in club football and isn't working at the moment, so perhaps he'd fancy it.

I've had a lot of coaching under him during my youths so know first hand how good he is, would be a great choice for our young players.

I think Tam Courts would suit the job and he did well with us (Utd) but as soon as another opportunity came along he jumped ship for somewhere that was hardly a step up. His ego will be too big to take the job on IMO, he'll only take it if he's desperate