group Kitty - Scotland v Germany - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

group Kitty

stirlish

For all those that have been to tournaments before, what is the best way to go about this these days (mostly cashless I presume).

Is it best to lump everyone on one credit card (trains, hotels, meals and bevvy) and split the bill at the end of tournament, or are there better ways?

We are all there for the same duration.

Cheers in advance

1 hour ago, stirlish said:

For all those that have been to tournaments before, what is the best way to go about this these days (mostly cashless I presume).

Is it best to lump everyone on one credit card (trains, hotels, meals and bevvy) and split the bill at the end of tournament, or are there better ways?

We are all there for the same duration.

Cheers in advance

Splitwise  is a good app 

You might find for some meals and a lot of your drinking you won't be cashless. Germany still clings on to using cash far more than most other places in Europe and you'll find some places either not taking card or needing a decent minimum spend before they let you use it. 

3 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Splitwise  is a good app 

had a look at that app and the have had an upgrade, reviews are crap since and seems only any good through the paid subscription.

1 - You obtain an empty glass tumbler from the bar 

2 - You all put in £20 for starters

3 - Order drinks and take money from the tumbler to pay for it

4 - Put any change back in the tumbler

5 - If someone wants food then they pay for their own unless you are all eating which means extra can be put in the tumbler

6 - If someone asks for separate bills at the end of the sitting ask them to leave and never join the company again

9 hours ago, Barry89 said:

You might find for some meals and a lot of your drinking you won't be cashless. Germany still clings on to using cash far more than most other places in Europe and you'll find some places either not taking card or needing a decent minimum spend before they let you use it. 

Aye Munich beer festival last year was cash only amazingly 

On 1/21/2024 at 6:30 PM, Ally Bongo said:

5 - If someone wants food then they pay for their own unless you are all eating which means extra can be put in the tumbler

6 - If someone asks for separate bills at the end of the sitting ask them to leave and never join the company again

Aye tried and tested. 

Thankfully Germany still appreciates the importance of cash so pick up an extra airport toiletries bag and each chuck in a few quid for taxis, drinks, lap dances, buses and Dudley Moores etc at regular intervals

A lot of places in Germany are still cash only

Good luck trying to find a spare table! 🍺

Not so good when one of your group gets the fags, another a hooker, and you just had a bowl of soup and diet coke.

Edited by The Bunnet

On 1/26/2024 at 12:52 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

Thankfully Germany still appreciates the importance of cash so pick up an extra airport toiletries bag and each chuck in a few quid for taxis, drinks, lap dances, buses and Dudley Moores etc at regular intervals

A lot of places in Germany are still cash only

Roger Moores on the kitty.

Mein Got!

J

To seriously answer the question. Just back from a long weekend in Toulouse with my schoolmates watching Toulouse vs Bath.

One of my mates had an empty travel credit card. We just bashed everything on the card then split it once we got home. 

Food wise we all ate breakfast and had dinner. (Missed lunch and had lager instead). 

J

6 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

To seriously answer the question. Just back from a long weekend in Toulouse with my schoolmates watching Toulouse vs Bath.

One of my mates had an empty travel credit card. We just bashed everything on the card then split it once we got home. 

Food wise we all ate breakfast and had dinner. (Missed lunch and had lager instead). 

J

We have used Revolut for a good number of years now. Download app and order a card for free. Good conversion rates. £150 a month free cash withdrawals and £1,000 a month free debit card type transactions for each card year. Top up instantly when you need it from your main bank account, built in security to freeze card, turn on /off chip and pin and/or contactless through the app. Plus the split a bill function is fabulous! Once you pay a bill decide who you’ve to charge in your group and it will automatically split the bill equally to each of them! If someone drinking more slowly or god forbid eating. You just adjust for that person before sending.  It then automatically recalculates the remaining balance equally! Their individual split bill is automatically forwarded to all in group that have been charged. They go in to App accept charge and credit immediately back to the charger! It’s been great for our group. 

Similar but I find Starling brilliant abroad. Best exchange rates etc. They kinda made foreign travel one of it's key launch benefits. Son uses Revolut too and likes - it not having a UK banking licence also makes me prefer Starling but that's probably just my paranoia. The set up of a starling account puts the high street banks to shame - I had the account set up process done in a few minutes including them verifying my ID through a wee video. Account was opened in a few hours and I had the card the next day. Sure Revolut is similar but it allows you to divvy up your money into wee envelopes to say what it's for (like mini accounts) and your spending is allocated. I now use it to transfer my monthly spending money too so the wife cannae see how much Im spending in the pub ! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2024 at 8:48 PM, The Bunnet said:

Not so good when one of your group gets the fags, another a hooker, and you just had a bowl of soup and diet coke.

or they are drinking double shots when other folk are on pints - seen that happen in blackpool - or we stay drinking when other folk go to an activity  

On 1/21/2024 at 12:30 PM, Ally Bongo said:

that idea wilnae work - germans are nae going to accept pounds - joking apart that does work in Mexico and plenty other places