Friendlies pre euros - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendlies pre euros

loanhead-tartan

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

True, but England have two home games on the 23rd (Sat) and 26th (Tue) of March, with theĀ 18-26 set aside by FIFA, so if a game is on the cards (and lets assume its at Spurs or at Arsenal), I doubt it would be any later than the 22nd, which would probably mean we are doing away game in London on the 21st/22nd, then a home game at Hampden on the 25th.

Yeah that is a bit tight to be fair. Doesn't necessarily need to be in London if SFA could negotiate somewhere further north to make it easier for them or somewhere further West or South should any arriving team be based nearer Heathrow or Gatwick. Tottenham and Arsenal might be a bit close to Wembley as the crow flies.

Edited by N4Footsoldier

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Yeah that is a bit tight to be fair. Doesn't necessarily need to be in London if SFA could negotiate somewhere further north to make it easier for them or somewhere further West or South should any arriving team be based nearer Heathrow or Gatwick. Tottenham and Arsenal might be a bit close to Wembley as the crow flies.

Scotland would be the away team, and treated as such.

The game will most likely be getting put together by a agent, who pays Argentina's Ā£1m fee, and keeps all the profits from the game for themselves.

They will not take the game outside of London if it means a loss in revenue.

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Scotland would be the away team, and treated as such.

The game will most likely be getting put together by a agent, who pays Argentina's Ā£1m fee, and keeps all the profits from the game for themselves.

They will not take the game outside of London if it means a loss in revenue.

Probably right. Having lived in London for the last 6 and a half years I don't see it being a problem regarding crossover with any England game. The vast majority of people here don't even know or realise when football is being played. Most people who attend England games are day trippers from the provincial areas coming in and out of Euston in the same day.

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

The problem at this point is that few teams have officially announced fixtures outside of Twitter/media headlines.

I imagine most will wait until after the draw to get a sense of the types of teams they will come up against and work from there. Surely much more movement from next week

Apart from England and Brazil, its been a really slow in terms of anything being confirmed or rumored.Ā 

Talk of Portugal v Sweden, and apparently Albania will play Peru in Italy and then a home game against Norway or Slovakia, but that is about it.

I do not think the South American opposition is something that floats Clarke's boat, as what he has said about March, he wants to play two European teams who will be at the Euros next summer (which hopefully means we are in a position to announce from next week).

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Think you can rule out anyone of note in London that week, Spurs stadium is getting used for a high profile rugby match.

If we are playing in London, then you are talking someone like Colombia or Bolivia at Brentford.

Perhaps not on the Saturday, but Iā€™m sure London can cope even if it was.Ā 

Chelsea, Arsenal, Millwall and West Ham are all at home this weekend. If it wasnā€™t for TV theyā€™d all be on Saturday afternoon.Ā 

5 minutes ago, McToot said:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Millwall and West Ham are all at home this weekend. If it wasnā€™t for TV theyā€™d all be on Saturday afternoon.Ā 

The game will be getting arranged by a agent, who will want the game on the day that gets the most ticket sales, which will be the Saturday, and that will be out of the window now (no chance would London police agree to Scotland, England, Argentina and Brazil (especially after the events at Brazil v Argentina the other week) all in the city on the same day).... could happen on the Thursday or Friday night, but I am doubtful.

Iā€™m not suggesting weā€™ll be playing Argentina, but we played Brazil on a Sunday in London. Other big teams have also played there on different days.Ā 

Having just won the World Cup, and with Messi probably not making many more appearances in the Uk, Iā€™m sure they could play it almost any night and it would probably pretty much sell out. It would probably barely register on the Mets radar.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

34 minutes ago, McToot said:

This is basically my point. Come out of a football game and get the tube 15mins in any direction and you would do well to be aware that a game was even happening.

Just seen the tweet where this rumor steams from (Argentinian sports reporter who lives in Glasgow), he is not actually giving any "in the know" news, just saying Argentina are coming to Europe and then lists a number of names of teams they could play before name dropping us.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As someone earlier said I don't think Clarke will be imterested in playing a South American team who play different style to those we will be facing next summer. If it were a World Cup then definitely but it isn't. Pretty sure it will be European teams.

I think we are only going to play South American teams if we get a offer we can not refuse (ie Argentina drop their Ā£1m asking fee and can assure that Messi will play, or Uruguay at Hampden, or someone like Colombia or Chile finance for us to go across to Spain for a training camp and a game over there.... anything else I doubt would interest the SFA), but yes, I think its most likely going to be something along the lines of Sweden at Hampden and then away to the Netherlands in EindhovenĀ type scenario

Listened to last night's Scottish Football Podcast on my run. Interestingly Ian Maxwell confirmed we had a friendly with Switzerland arranged and will now have to go and seek another opponent. A good clue as to the level we are seeking though.

If we can find someone similar- a smaller nation who regularly reach the group stages of tournaments - they'd prove ideal preparation for our pot 2 and 4 opponents.Ā 

7 hours ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Holland in amsterdam March 22nd set to be announced according to the sunĀ 

Thatā€™s good but now we need the other friendlies to be against opponents the level of Switzerland & Hungary, so we can get used to beating that level of opponent again.Ā