Auld songs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Auld songs

AlfieMoon

My first memories of Scotland games are the Italia ‘90 campaign games at Hampden when I was 6/7 year old.  

The old songs/chants of the day I remember: 

- Here we go, here we go, here we go 😆

- Mo, Mo, Super Mo

- Super Ally

- We hate Jimmy Hill

- We’ll walk a million miles

What other old songs pre-date that era? 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Smashing tune. 
Cannae imagine it was sung en masse at Hampden though? 

It was song at Fulham a few years ago outside the ground, nigeria game.

Far too many lyrics to be song on masse at the stadium.

Also heard folk moan because it mentions the Queen but its  i think its a cracking tune.

Where's the bracelet?

Where's the bracelet?

Where's the bracelet, Bobby Moore?

In your handbag, in your handbag,

You're a woman, Bobby Moore.

When we played Australia in 85, we were all singing "If you hate Rolf Harris clap your hands" for ages. TA ahead of the game there.... 

Edited by Toepoke

On 11/14/2023 at 5:51 AM, immcinto said:

Bonnie Scotland, bonnie Scotland, we'll support you evermore. 

That was big in the 70s. I am well up for bringing it back in Germany next year

I liked the adapted version on one occasion when we were 3-0 down in Belgium.

Bonnie Scotland, Bonnie Scotland,

We’ll support you up to 4……

Before 1974 world cup we had

Six foot two, eyes are blue

Big Jim Holton's after you 

Da da da da da da.

Or

we have Willie, Willie Morgan on the wing on the wing.

Willie, oh Willie Morgan, oh Willie Morgan on the wing

Pity there are no wingers these days to replicate the song. 

For long I have thought the "Keep right on to the end of the road" chorus to make a great Scotland chant. It starts off low in the register, but gradually moves up the scale, rising to a crescendo with "Where all you love that you're deaming of". And then the last line has a great rhythm "Will be there" pause "at the end" pause "of the road". It is easy to sing, and very dramatic. Plus an iconic Scottish song, so we do not have to borrow from another culture. Plus the words are a great metaphor for having a fighting spirit in the face of adversity.

Also, like another earlier poster, I would like to hear a return of "Get In Tae Them".

19 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

For long I have thought the "Keep right on to the end of the road" chorus to make a great Scotland chant. It starts off low in the register, but gradually moves up the scale, rising to a crescendo with "Where all you love that you're deaming of". And then the last line has a great rhythm "Will be there" pause "at the end" pause "of the road". It is easy to sing, and very dramatic. Plus an iconic Scottish song, so we do not have to borrow from another culture. Plus the words are a great metaphor for having a fighting spirit in the face of adversity.

Also, like another earlier poster, I would like to hear a return of "Get In Tae Them".

It would be a good football song, especially if it could be kept going for a few repeats.

Half the fans dress like Harry Lauder, so we might as well sing his songs.

Edited by Orraloon

20 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

Birmingham City fans agree with you.