Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland

I've got cruise control but unless you're on an empty-ish stretch of motorway there's no point in switching it on - in normal motorway traffic you have to keep adjusting your speed due to encountering someone moving slower than yourself.

Yea unless its dead its a waste of time. I don't really like it, takes away from the enjoyment of driving.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine doesn't have cruise control, but you can limit the speed, which isn't as good, but means I can set it at 72 from Stirling to Perth and just take my foot off the accelerator when someone pulls out in front of me, and when I speed up it won't let me go over 72, unless you floor the accelerator and over ride it.

Quite easy to get to 80+ without even realising otherwise.

(Got done doing 86 on that road a few years ago, the one and only time I've felt I was caught fair and square)

Yea unless its dead its a waste of time. I don't really like it, takes away from the enjoyment of driving.

It's good on stretches like the 50mph section of the a77 between killie and prestwick.

I presume once they finish the work on that (bridges so you don't need to cross the dual carriageway to turn right) it will increase to 70mph?

Agree with Huddersfield, peoples perception of their driving ability is usually over stated and

is comparable to us gamblers who suffer same illusion.

I drive only when necessary, so maybe I am the wrong person to judge.

Flora will soon be adding loss of car to loss of golf clubs.

It's good on stretches like the 50mph section of the a77 between killie and prestwick.

I presume once they finish the work on that (bridges so you don't need to cross the dual carriageway to turn right) it will increase to 70mph?

The improvements have been finished for almost a year! No sign of the limit changing yet...

Edited by Toepoke

I'd imagine it will have killed off a lot of the trade at tea time, folk nipping in for a pint in the way home.

Also folk who would go for a meal and have a glass of wine or whatever.

I can see it impacting on the bowling club come the start of the season, as traditionally you will have a drink with your opponent after a match, but during the week most folk come by car.

I used to take 1 bottle of beer, now it'll be a can of juice.

(Not saying it makes the law wrong, just observations)

I'd imagine it will have killed off a lot of the trade at tea time, folk nipping in for a pint in the way home.

Also folk who would go for a meal and have a glass of wine or whatever.

I can see it impacting on the bowling club come the start of the season, as traditionally you will have a drink with your opponent after a match, but during the week most folk come by car.

I used to take 1 bottle of beer, now it'll be a can of juice.

(Not saying it makes the law wrong, just observations)

My family own a pub and the dinner time crowd has dwindled big time. As you say folk nipping in for one or two on the way home.

Changes only beneficial with festive season drop in convictions.

A bottle of normal strength beer will not put you over as less than 60% of a pint.

You reading too many Charles Endell paranoia posts.

What was the drop in fatalities caused by drink driving December 2014 compared to previous years?

Changes only beneficial with festive season drop in convictions.

A bottle of normal strength beer will not put you over as less than 60% of a pint.

You reading too many Charles Endell paranoia posts.

It's probably a gamble though.

I rely on my car to do my job, so it's not worth it.

Think it has focused the attention of folk, which is good. Sure there's folk who would have been over the old limit regularly who are now much more thoughtful.

2 pints would've put you over the old limit, I'd imagine 1, certainly 1 1/2 would be a gamble at the old limit.

A journalist pal of mine was preparing a pre-Xmas feature for his paper on the dangers of morning after driving (old limit right enough). As part of the research he and several colleagues got blootered the night before and were breathalysed the next day. All passed no problem. The polis told them not to run the story...

Suspect that is a gross exaggeration....i recall when the smoking ban came into effect (March 2006?) There was an article in the Evening Express about the auchmill bar closing and the owner blamed closure on the smoking ban. The fact was that the smoking ban came in on a wednesday and the pub closed the next day.....he hadn't even waited to see what weekend trade might be. I believe it was a complete dive and completely empty most of the time anyway so this was a convenient excuse, something to moan about and cover up bad management / not giving customers what they want.

Would be interesting to see how many people have been prosecuted within the new limit and old limit. I'd imagine most folk who are over the limit are way over.

Maybe the Scotsman can enlighten us?

Over the festive period, 351 motorists were caught in Scotland and 20 of those were between the old and new limits.

A journalist pal of mine was preparing a pre-Xmas feature for his paper on the dangers of morning after driving (old limit right enough). As part of the research he and several colleagues got blootered the night before and were breathalysed the next day. All passed no problem. The polis told them not to run the story...

There is no doubt in my mind that the risk of failing the breath test has been grossly exaggerated, especially for the morning after. I keep hearing the quote that "the only safe limit is no alcohol at all". There are plenty of scientific studies which show that quote to be bollox, Unless somebody has a medical condition, the standard rule of 1 unit every hour is pretty much accepted amongst researchers.

It gets a bit more complicated when trying to judge how much you can have and then drive immediately after. That's where there are big variations between individuals and whether you've just eaten or not. I used to think that most folk would get away with 2 pints under the old limit so 1 should be OK with the new limit.

one unit per hour is the rule of thumb - but younger/fitter folk with a decent thyroid gland and liver will metabolise the alcohol quicker

e.g. bottle of rum (70cl) = approx 30 units ... about 3 units will be given off in sweat/piss& breath leaving about 27 units/hours on the rule of thumb to be back to zero - in truth can be a lot shorter (or longer) dependent upon your physiology.

• 4 weeks later...

Even with the new limit Scotland is still pretty high versus the rest of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country#Europe

Looks like only Malta and England allow 80mg per 100ml now.

In comaprison.Romania allows you 0mg and gives you a prison sentence of 1-5 years depending how far above 80mg you are.

It is quite a steep reduction in Scotland from 80mg to 50mg a 37.5% drop and that is what is causing the fear. It is killing the non city centre pub game which was already having a sore time of it.

They should have maybe transitioned into it over three years say, 10mg reduction per year.

Edited by thplinth

I was at a funeral a few weeks back & tried out the breathalyser I had ordered the next day.

I had 6 bottles of Magners between 4pm & 8pm then half a bottle of red wine between 8pm & 10pm. All I had to eat in this time was a couple of sandwiches & a sausage roll.

The next morning at 7:50am the breathalyser read 1.6, at 8:20am 1.4, at 9:20am 0.8 and at 9:50am 0.4.

There is no question I would have driven to work at 8:30am if I hadn't had the breathalyser as I felt totally fine.