Euro24 Squad Make-Up - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro24 Squad Make-Up

Caledonian Craig

On 10/18/2023 at 7:08 PM, noctonjock said:

See UEFA have cut the squad numbers to 23 for EURO 2024 instead of 26 like it was for the last Euros.  Will be interesting to see who isn't included and could prove difficult to get in the Squad for someone like Doak maybe 

That's surprising as these things tend to only go one way. Although it's probably better for smaller nations like us, as more powerful teams like England and France will have to leave some real quality players out of their squads.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the reasoning behind the 23-man squad? If it's so the big nations don't have too much of an advantage then why allow five substitutes?

Regarding Gordon, if he's in the squad it'll be a poor reflection on our standard of goalkeeper. No disrespect to him but it's there can be no way he won't seriously decline even if he keeps himself in good shape.

A lot could change between now and the Euros.  I don't think Ross Stewart will make it as I have the impression Clarke just doesn't fancy him but he might force his hand with performances.

I'd put Brown in against Georgia or, at the very least, have him come on for Dykes (who I assume will be getting the nod over Adams due to his poor international form)

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

What's the reasoning behind the 23-man squad? If it's so the big nations don't have too much of an advantage then why allow five substitutes?

Regarding Gordon, if he's in the squad it'll be a poor reflection on our standard of goalkeeper. No disrespect to him but it's there can be no way he won't seriously decline even if he keeps himself in good shape.

A lot could change between now and the Euros.  I don't think Ross Stewart will make it as I have the impression Clarke just doesn't fancy him but he might force his hand with performances.

I'd put Brown in against Georgia or, at the very least, have him come on for Dykes (who I assume will be getting the nod over Adams due to his poor international form)

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at Southampton once Stewart is fit. What if they only play 1 up front, who will get the nod? Can Clarke ignore Stewart and pick Adams if Stewart is keeping Adams out of the Southampton starting 11?

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at Southampton once Stewart is fit. What if they only play 1 up front, who will get the nod? Can Clarke ignore Stewart and pick Adams if Stewart is keeping Adams out of the Southampton starting 11?

Apparently he is now back training and could feature from the bench within the next few games!
Would be good to see Adams + Stewart forming a partnership up front for the Saints 

With reference to the Euro 2024 Squad being 23players 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Will be interesting to see who can squeeze their way in, S.Clarke not one for big changes or making new additions…… 

I think Clarke will probably stick to the core squad he has.

There will probably be instances like Cooper v Souttar for a spot in defense, plus Ryan Jack and Stuart Armstrong finding their spots under threat if suddenly Elliott Anderson changes his mind (again....) and if Clarke does persuade Harvey Barnes.... but that is something for another day.

Probably most the cuts will come from the forwards, as he will most likely take Dykes, Adams, Christie, and one from Nisbit, Shankland and Stewart.

Shame about the cut in squad size, as it basically meant we had that little bit of extra room for Patterson and Gilmour and could take the gamble on having them in the squad (as they probably would have missed out had squad numbers not been increased).

I'd be all for starting an established club partnership if that's what happens with Adams and Stewart. Even if it's at the expense of Dykes who has done nothing wrong. The closest thing we have to a striker who can take a half chance is McTominay and if the goals come from midfield, I'm not bothered. I still think Jacob Brown should get some gametime in the next two qualifiers. 

Clarke is loyal and I see the benefits of that but sometimes he can be too loyal. 

8 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Just reverting to the norm. Squads were increased last time due to COVID and the risk of players testing positive (as we discovered the hard way).

I guess accomodating over 70 less players will cut down on costs.

Not sure why people are convinced that Doak will be in the squad. Only way I can see it happening is if he goes on loan somewhere and does well or if Liverpool have an injury crisis. 

As if stands, we're in the middle of October and I think he's started one game? He's going to need to start playing more regularly to make the squad. 

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I've seen it mentioned we should get around the squad restrictions by naming Lyndon Dykes as our third keeper...

lyndon-dykes-queens-park-rangers-8501041

Ireland did it under Jack Charlton. Niall Quinn was their 3rd keeper for a World Cup (1990 I think). 

It's a nonsense rule anyway. Should be up to the manager to decide how many keepers they take. 

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Not sure why people are convinced that Doak will be in the squad. Only way I can see it happening is if he goes on loan somewhere and does well or if Liverpool have an injury crisis. 

As if stands, we're in the middle of October and I think he's started one game? He's going to need to start playing more regularly to make the squad. 

How many first team games had Gilmour started last time out? (Granted the squad was bigger).

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

If he truly is a once in a generation talent then I guess the previous conventions about experience would go out the window.

I fully expect him to be in the next squad.

4 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

How many first team games had Gilmour started last time out? (Granted the squad was bigger).

He'd definitely played more than Doak has this season. I hope Doak comes good but there's no way he's making the squad unless he's playing more often than once every 3 months. 

15 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

Exactly. Just look at the last Euros squad. Patterson and Gilmour had both only had a handful of starts for their clubs between them. However, context is everything.

Clarke knew that Patterson was already better than Palmer and probably the future of our right back. If he wasn't behind Rangers' club captain, he likely would have had more appearances than he did as well.

For Gilmour, at the time, Callum McGregor was off form, McTominay was seen as a defender, Jack and McLean were both injured, and McGinn was now being played further forward. Plus, Chelsea were champions league winners. So even a few games at 18/19 was very impressive.

Doak is in a unique position in that we badly lack natural wingers. He also would be a first team regular for the vast majority of the club sides we choose players from already if he didn't play for an elite side. So, his lack of game time won't be a big factor if Clarke believes he is of high enough quality to be in the squad. Which I think he is.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:07 PM, BryanBlessed said:

I'd be all for starting an established club partnership if that's what happens with Adams and Stewart. Even if it's at the expense of Dykes who has done nothing wrong. The closest thing we have to a striker who can take a half chance is McTominay and if the goals come from midfield, I'm not bothered. I still think Jacob Brown should get some gametime in the next two qualifiers. 

Clarke is loyal and I see the benefits of that but sometimes he can be too loyal. 

Dykes takes half chances, he’s bailed us out on numerous occasions. McTominay would be fine as a second striker but not as a lead striker. He doesn’t have the hips for it with his back to goal.

27 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Dykes takes half chances, he’s bailed us out on numerous occasions. McTominay would be fine as a second striker but not as a lead striker. He doesn’t have the hips for it with his back to goal.

When was the last time that happened? I'm not looking to start an argument because I love Dykes. His goal against Norway was more about poor defending and determination on his part than technique. I don't think Dykes has ever scored a goal for Scotland like McTominay's first against Cyprus, his second against Spain, his goal against Georgia etc. I appreciate they're in different positions, though.

I suppose it depends what you define as a half-chance. Most of his goals have been those that you'd expect any striker to score from. He got himself in position and took the chance, of course.