Use of the term "Hun" - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Use of the term "Hun"

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

1969 - Newcastle v Rangers in the Fairs Cup Semi final. I think that's when it started to include Rangers fans as well as Celtic fans. I think it was some English newspaper reporter who referred to them as "marauding huns" probably oblivious to the fact that that was what Rangers fans has been calling Celtic fans for years. Then slowly over the years Rangers fans started to embrace the name for themselves, (well some of them anyway), and just used other names for the Tims.

I thought I’d read it was Wolverhampton it originated in but might be mixing that up with the Villa/Brum story above. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I thought I’d read it was Wolverhampton it originated in but might be mixing that up with the Villa/Brum story above. 

It might have been? Maybe the Newcastle game just added to it? You've had quite a few riots down through the years, it's hard to remember them all. 😉 🤣

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Surely the faction of Rangers fans photographed with the SS Totenkopf flag at Ibrox two weeks back would be delighted at being called "huns?"

They would be delighted but offended at the same time 🤔

Growing up in parts of England through the 70s and 80s any gathering of Scots was called hun or heathen. Back at Hampden it depended on wether I was in the hun Rangers end or heathen Celtic end. Came from a mixed Paisley family, Candrun road , Ferguslie Park . So dad took me in the North stand . Lifted over the turnstile for the guys benefit. 
otherwise . It’s are you alright hun?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, Ally Bongo said:

It was a great idea - invade the park when your team goes 2 down and try and get the game abandoned

Should have brought it in

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, dan cake said:

Something the residents of Murrayfield and surrounding areas can look forward to this summer, what are Edinburgh council thinking of 😆

https://scottishrugby.org/rangers-and-manchester-united-to-face-off-at-scottish-gas-murrayfield/

am bit out of touch these days tbh 

- but as its a summer 'friendly' and the fact that a large majority of your supporters at these events ; will be of the 'plastic / day tripper ' variety ; added to the fact that (based on my own match attending even in 70s and 80s) that 1969 game was likely attended by 95-99 % blokes - majority of those being in drinking/swadging age group/demographic ; am sure will still be bit of bother tho ; but nothing like Fairs Cup or Uefa in Manchester