Harvey Barnes - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harvey Barnes

syecosse

45 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

He might as well turn up in a set of cricket whites and pads with a Sun tucked under his arm walking a whippet whilst telling anyone who'll listen the French should do more about small boat crossings.

The French should though shouldnt they tbf? 😂

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Didn’t James Morrison say he didn’t feel very Scottish or something similar and he went on to be one of our most committed players during some times when others weren’t. 

I think it still cheapens international football a bit though, especially considering these guys are coming from our longest historic rival but I understand why Clarke or any manager is taking advantage of the rules. 

The bigger nations have been doing it for years though.

Didn't Italy win a World cup with Camoranesi? Sure he played in the qualifier in 2005 aswell. He was Argentine but played in Serie A for years and got his Italian passport so don't really see what's different to the granny rule which of course Republic of Ireland used for many decades when they were qualifying for World cups. Tony Cascarino admitted in his book he shouldn't have played for them aswell.

Wales aswell. Read Toshack's autobiography and they were on to Hal Robson Kanu for over 12 months to convince him as he'd played for England under age sides. That was when he was a complete unknown at Reading. 5 years later he gives Welsh sport one of its greatest moments with that Cruyff turn goal v Belgium and ended up with 46 caps in the end.

It depends on the player and what impact they make. Adams been good and go back 12 months and it was "get tae fook Gunn you English ****" and now with 1 goal conceded in first 5 games that's all been forgotten and he's solved what was going to be a problem position with the ages of the other keepers.

If someone declares to try to get a better club move and then keeps pulling out with minor injuries then that's an issue and needs to be avoided but I can't believe players will be annoyed if Harvey Barnes joins up, they'll just see him as a quality player they play against every week in premier league and someone who can be a good scoring threat in final third based on him hitting 12 for Leicester last season.

Very good on the counter attack when games open up late in games so that will add something extra to this squad.

Edited by Tartan Chris

From a total football point of view, I think Barnes could offer us a lot more than what Anderson could (I suspect Clarke wants him for that floating role behind the strikers that he utilizes now and again with Christie) which could very well take us up that next level.

His cap for England is a sticking point, but suppose football is ever changing (given Declan Rice can have 4 Republic of Ireland caps, and still able to switch to England), but so far Clarke has not got anything wrong when it comes to this kind of thing (A few folk were skeptical on Dykes and Adams at first, and proved doubters wrong, plus Gunn looked a lost cause, and way he has taken to the team, you would think he had been in the set up for years now).

I do think Southgate is simply name dropping these players simply so it looks like he at least tried to get them to stay (same interview he gives, he says how he tried to get Haaland to play for England, and talks about how Evan Ferguson was high on his want list but would not return his calls) as I think he will be away after the Euros and does not want the man who follows him being critical of not trying (short term Clarke can not offer Anderson and Barnes any more guarantees that Southgate can offer in the long term)

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Didn't Italy win a World cup with Camoranesi? Sure he played in the qualifier in 2005 aswell. He was Argentine but played in Serie A for years and got his Italian passport so don't really see what's different to the granny rule which of course Republic of Ireland used for many decades when they were qualifying for World cups. Tony Cascarino admitted in his book he shouldn't have played for them aswell.

Wales aswell. Read Toshack's autobiography and they were on to Hal Robson Kanu for over 12 months to convince him as he'd played for England under age sides. That was when he was a complete unknown at Reading. 5 years later he gives Welsh sport one of its greatest moments with that Cruyff turn goal v Belgium and ended up with 46 caps in the end.

It depends on the player and what impact they make. Adams been good and go back 12 months and it was "get tae fook Gunn you English ****" and now with 1 goal conceded in first 5 games that's all been forgotten and he's solved what was going to be a problem position with the ages of the other keepers.

If someone declares to try to get a better club move and then keeps pulling out with minor injuries then that's an issue and needs to be avoided but I can't believe players will be annoyed if Harvey Barnes joins up, they'll just see him as a quality player they play against every week in premier league and someone who can be a good scoring threat in final third based on him hitting 12 for Leicester last season.

Very good on the counter attack when games open up late in games so that will add something extra to this squad.

Not to mention Christian Vieri had a thicker Aussie accent than Paul Hogan.

It all boils down to this for me.

Does it not breach some form of international cross border laws to have someone called "Harvey" playing for Scotland?

Weren't we heavily fined in the 2000s for fielding "Nigel" Quashie? Will we never learn our lesson?

This is the thin end of the wedge for me. Before we know it, we'll have Trevors, Ruperts and allsorts playing for us. 

Edited by Marky

16 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yeah I understand all of that. As you say, the squad itself won’t be damaged when a player is called up provided he’s doing the right things. 

On 9/12/2023 at 7:22 AM, ThistleWhistle said:

He might as well turn up in a set of cricket whites and pads with a Sun tucked under his arm walking a whippet whilst telling anyone who'll listen the French should do more about small boat crossings.

😆 🤣 😂 

• 2 weeks later...