Euro 2024 - group discussion - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 - group discussion

romanticscot

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I can't remember which poster it was (apologies) enquiring how seeding will be worked out for teams that qualify. I replied thinking they'd go with their long favoured method of ranking and recent qualification/tournament record. Well having a dug around I find I was wrong.

The seeding pots for the qualifiers will be worked out purely on their qualifying record for this tournament. At present Scotland would comfortably we top seeds as we are ranked second at present behind only France (results against pot six teams to be disregarded). 

Jesus! Thats a big carrot!

Lets win the group! 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I can't remember which poster it was (apologies) enquiring how seeding will be worked out for teams that qualify. I replied thinking they'd go with their long favoured method of ranking and recent qualification/tournament record. Well having a dug around I find I was wrong.

The seeding pots for the qualifiers will be worked out purely on their qualifying record for this tournament. At present Scotland would comfortably we top seeds as we are ranked second at present behind only France (results against pot six teams to be disregarded). 

! Sounds good. I’d imagine the squad has known this all along. Never have I felt so sure about successfully qualifying. Don’t even care about jinxing it. 
really looking forward to going to Germany next summer 

3 hours ago, Shaundy said:

! Sounds good. I’d imagine the squad has known this all along. Never have I felt so sure about successfully qualifying. Don’t even care about jinxing it. 
really looking forward to going to Germany next summer 

Oh dear

Looking ahead at the fixtures (with my slightly pessimistic head on) I reckon we'll be going into the last game against Norway on 11 points, with them on 13 points, meaning a win or bust situation.  But that would be Scotland would it not!? 🤔 

1 minute ago, todd said:

Looking ahead at the fixtures (with my slightly pessimistic head on) I reckon we'll be going into the last game against Norway on 11 points, with them on 13 points, meaning a win or bust situation.  But that would be Scotland would it not!? 🤔 

How did you end up with those numbers?!!

20 minutes ago, todd said:

You would have to be very pessimistic to expect us to only have 11 points going into the last game against norway. You expecting us to only win 1 game and draw 2 others out of the remaining fixtures. 

Even i aint that pessimistic. If we do end up doing that then it will be an absolute disaster considering the position of strength we are currently in.

20 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You would have to be very pessimistic to expect us to only have 11 points going into the last game against norway. You expecting us to only win 1 game and draw 2 others out of the remaining fixtures. 

Even i aint that pessimistic. If we do end up doing that then it will be an absolute disaster considering the position of strength we are currently in.

You're right but it is ludicrous to expect us to lose away to Norway, win at home against Georgia, draw away to Cyprus and draw away to Georgia and lose away to Spain? Not so sure🤔

9 minutes ago, todd said:

You're right but it is ludicrous to expect us to lose away to Norway, win at home against Georgia, draw away to Cyprus and draw away to Georgia and lose away to Spain? Not so sure🤔

I meant is it, not, it is, doh!

Edited by todd

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh it could happen but i think its quite unlikely given how well this team have performed under clarke. 

It is unlikely but after 40 odd years of following Scotland it does become somewhat likely!  

34 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not necessarily an absolute disaster. I think it’s fairly likely that we lose in Norway and win at home to Georgia.

The away games against Cyprus and Georgia could go either way, and will be crucial.

As things stand, the simplest way I can sum things up at the moment would be this…. 

If we win in Georgia, we will only need to take one point from the two Norway games.

If we draw or lose in Georgia, we will need to take at least two points from the two Norway games.

Those aren’t definite scenarios at the moment, as there are so many possible outcomes, however, that’s what looks the most likely at the moment. Things will become much simpler to sum up, with each passing match. Even after one more match, we will have a far better idea of what’s required.

1 minute ago, Whelky75 said:

Not necessarily an absolute disaster. I think it’s fairly likely that we lose in Norway and win at home to Georgia.

The away games against Cyprus and Georgia could go either way, and will be crucial.

As things stand, the simplest way I can sum things up at the moment would be this…. 

If we win in Georgia, we will only need to take one point from the two Norway games.

If we draw or lose in Georgia, we will need to take at least two points from the two Norway games.

Those aren’t definite scenarios at the moment, as there are so many possible outcomes, however, that’s what looks the most likely at the moment. Things will become much simpler to sum up, with each passing match. Even after one more match, we will have a far better idea of what’s required.

Anyone who believes we aren't going into the last game against Norway needing a win is in denial!  It's been written in the stars since the fixtures were drawn 😏

1 minute ago, todd said:

Anyone who believes we aren't going into the last game against Norway needing a win is in denial!  It's been written in the stars since the fixtures were drawn 😏

Your statement doesn’t make sense. If it was the case when the fixtures were drawn, then that would have changed when we beat Spain and Norway drew in Georgia. Or vice versa, if it’s now the case, then it would have been different before that big swing of results in our favour.

2 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

Maybe absolute disaster is too strong a description but it would definitely be massive fuck up to be only on 11 points come the norway game. 

We should be expecting alot better, especially from this group of players and manager.

1 minute ago, Whelky75 said:

Your statement doesn’t make sense. If it was the case when the fixtures were drawn, then that would have changed when we beat Spain and Norway drew in Georgia. Or vice versa, if it’s now the case, then it would have been different before that big swing of results in our favour.

It doesn't have to make sense mate, it's just the Scotland way that we'll end up with a win or bust situation, it's how we do.  You're obviously not as old as me 😊

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe absolute disaster is too strong a description but it would definitely be massive fuck up to be only on 11 points come the norway game. 

We should be expecting alot better, especially from this group of players and manager.

‘A lot.’ 

I don’t know where you’re getting ‘alot’ from.

5 minutes ago, todd said:

It doesn't have to make sense mate, it's just the Scotland way that we'll end up with a win or bust situation, it's how we do.  You're obviously not as old as me 😊

Nothing to do with age - there’s no such thing as ‘just the Scotland way’.

1 minute ago, todd said:

I bet you £100 it comes down to the last game against Norway? 

Sorry Whelky, shouldn't have finished that sentence with a question mark.  Know that's gonna trigger you into a grammar correction or whatever fest but, hey  whatever!!????

19 minutes ago, todd said:

I bet you £100 it comes down to the last game against Norway? 

You’ve changed your story already.

On your previous post it was that we would need a win against Norway. Something about ‘the Scotland way’ - whatever you think that means?

17 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

You’ve changed your story already.

On your previous post it was that we would need a win against Norway. Something about ‘the Scotland way’ - whatever you think that means?

How have I changed my story? I said it would come down to the last game and that's what I said again!  Do you have difficulties you walloper? 

27 minutes ago, todd said:

How have I changed my story? I said it would come down to the last game and that's what I said again!  Do you have difficulties you walloper? 

Needing a win against Norway and coming down to the last game against Norway are two different things, aren’t they?