Euro 2024 - group discussion - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 - group discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

From what I saw tonight Spain will struggle to win in Norway and Georgia so this will become a complicated qualification for them.

I think Spain will qualify and it’s in our interest to for them to beat Norway away. I have a feeling Norway might drop more points in Cyprus. 

4 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I think Spain will qualify and it’s in our interest to for them to beat Norway away. I have a feeling Norway might drop more points in Cyprus. 

It's interesting Ketsbaia is managing Cyprus now,see how they play v Georgia home and away as that remains the most realistic fixtures for them to get points.

15 points will surely get 2nd so two more home wins and a win in Cyprus and that will all that will be needed if Spain pick up e.g Norway can only get a maximum of 14 points if they lose at Hampden and don't win at home to Spain. Georgia will need to win 5 games to get 16 points if they lose home and away v Spain.

Tonight is huge. Bit like when ROI won at home to Germany in euro 2016 qualifiers. 

Edited by Tartan Chris

That win tonight, coupled with Norway drawing with Georgia, takes a huge amount of pressure off of the June matches. A draw in Norway would be a good result with the three bonus points we've picked up; a win would mean we've have to collapse not to qualify automatically (realistically). A draw against Georgia wouldn't be the end of the world after Norway dropping points against them, albeit it would need to be compensated with a win against them away - something we already know is not straight forward. The guarenteed play-off spot is hugely beneficial too.

While this is clearly a Spain side in decline, Norway's 3-0 defeat in Malaga perhaps shows we're ahead of Norway in ability right now (even if you add Haaland back into their squad).

With Hickey, Patterson, Ferguson, Gilmour, Doig, Ramsay, Ralston, Turnbull and Campbell all having time to improve as players - even Tierney will only have just turned 26 by the time of the Norway match. There's a possibility our strongest squad will be stronger come June.

This feels like a squad which can qualify automatically for the Euros; our World Cup qualfiying performance would've been good enough to qualify automatically for the Euros. This is the second qualifying tournament in a row where we've beaten the top seeds at home - and I think the Spain side we've just beaten are better than the Denmark side we beat.

There's still the banana skins of Georgia (both home and away) and Cyprus away, on top of both games against Norway and a trip to Spain, so we can't be too positive yet. However, we're in a position we've not been in since Euro 2008's qualifiers - and in that campaign we were battling with the two World Cup finalists (Italy and France) and a World Cup quarter-finalist (Ukraine) for two spots. In this campaign we're battling a declining Spain, Norway, who remind me of the mid to late 2010s Wales (a decent squad with a couple of world class players), and an improving, but still outsiders, Georgia for two spots.

There's the potential now we could be qualified by the time we travel to Georgia in November and a real possiblity of us being on the plane by the time we face Norway at Hampden in the final qualifying match as a result of our win tonight.

I think the result, and performance, tonight proves the last qualifiers weren't a fluke and we can seriously start to consider outselves as part of that second tier of European nations (with Serbia, Switzerland, Denmark, the Czechs, Poland, etc.)

It's just a shame we have to wait until June until our next game now!

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think the result, and performance, tonight proves the last qualifiers weren't a fluke and we can seriously start to consider outselves as part of that second tier of European nations (with Serbia, Switzerland, Denmark, the Czechs, Poland, etc.)

Come on now.

We’ve got a long way to go until we can consider ourselves to be anywhere near the same level as the teams you mentioned. Those teams regularly qualify for major finals and even knockout stages of major finals. We’ve been to one major finals in a quarter of a century - and that was through some bizarre backdoor lottery as well, rather than through the qualification groups - and never been to the knockout stages of a major tournament.

Tonight was a great result, but let’s calm down a bit and not label ourselves as something we’re not. Leave that to our rivals who we share a border with. We’ve got a long way to go just to qualify from this group, let alone to jump to the level of the teams you mentioned. Baby steps, progress and stability. That’s the way forward.

13 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

Come on now.

We’ve got a long way to go until we can consider ourselves to be anywhere near the same level as the teams you mentioned. Those teams regularly qualify for major finals and even knockout stages of major finals. We’ve been to one major finals in a quarter of a century - and that was through some bizarre backdoor lottery as well, rather than through the qualification groups - and never been to the knockout stages of a major tournament.

Tonight was a great result, but let’s calm down a bit and not label ourselves as something we’re not. Leave that to our rivals who we share a border with. We’ve got a long way to go just to qualify from this group, let alone to jump to the level of the teams you mentioned. Baby steps, progress and stability. That’s the way forward.

I'm pretty sure Clyde was meaning our current form of the last couple of campaigns.

Right now we'd be competitive with all of the teams he mentioned. Surely you'd agree with that?

9 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I'm pretty sure Clyde was meaning our current form of the last couple of campaigns.

Right now we'd be competitive with all of the teams he mentioned. Surely you'd agree with that?

I’m not sure. I find it very difficult to judge where our standard currently lies, especially after a result like tonight, where it would be easy to get carried away. I’d rather make a judgement after the entire 8-match campaign, which even then is a relatively small sample size.

We appear to be on the up and in a better place than we were, but I still wouldn’t put us anywhere near the level of those other teams. 

Hungary is probably a better example imo.

Spent decades in the wilderness but they made Euros in 2016 and since then they've become a very tough team to play home and away in qualifiers under Marco Rossi and had a very good win to  start off the current qualifiers. 

I really enjoyed the last qualifiers despite the Ukraine match being a major disappointment in the end.

Overall with these two games the form in qualifiers has been very good for 18 months now. It's now 7 clean sheets in the last 8 euro/world cup qualifiers aswell. Imagine thinking that would've been possible three years ago with the paucity of options at CB in those days and at RB?!

Clarke has drilled this squad fantastically well and many of the midfielders are in form with some exciting ones on the fringes so sometimes that's enough on its own to be competitive at international level as we saw for much of the 90s.

11 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

I’m not sure. I find it very difficult to judge where our standard currently lies, especially after a result like tonight, where it would be easy to get carried away. I’d rather make a judgement after the entire 8-match campaign, which even then is a relatively small sample size.

We appear to be on the up and in a better place than we were, but I still wouldn’t put us anywhere near the level of those other teams. 

On the fence much? 😁

45 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

Come on now.

We're definitely better than etc!

11 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hungary is probably a better example imo.

Spent decades in the wilderness but they made Euros in 2016 and since then they've become a very tough team to play home and away in qualifiers under Marco Rossi and had a very good win to  start off the current qualifiers. 

I really enjoyed the last qualifiers despite the Ukraine match being a major disappointment in the end.

Overall with these two games the form in qualifiers has been very good for 18 months now. It's now 7 clean sheets in the last 8 euro/world cup qualifiers aswell. Imagine thinking that would've been possible three years ago with the paucity of options at CB in those days and at RB?!

Clarke has drilled this squad fantastically well and many of the midfielders are in form with some exciting ones on the fringes so sometimes that's enough on its own to be competitive at international level as we saw for much of the 90s.

Hungary appear to have some very contradictory statistics.

Until I checked just now, I thought they were a really good team - and currently far better than us - having performed well at the previous two European Championship finals and having finished second in their group in Nations League A, a really tough group as well, if I remember correctly, which is a huge achievement for a country of their recent standing in international football in Europe.

However, unless I am misreading the relevant statistics, it looks like they haven’t finished in the top two in a qualifying group for a major finals, since 1985, which is quite staggering, as despite Scotland having not qualified for a lot of years, we’ve still had a few top two finishes along the way.

Strange contradiction there in Hungary’s recent results.

Just now, Whelky75 said:

I don’t know who the poster was including as part of their ‘etc’, but given the other names on that list, I’d suggest we’re probably not!

You're a right negative Nelly are you not? 😄