Euro 2024 - group discussion - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 - group discussion

romanticscot

56 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

Needing a win against Norway and coming down to the last game against Norway are two different things, aren’t they?

Both mean the same thing.πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, stocky said:

Both mean the same thing.πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

No they don’t.

’Coming down to the last game’ covers all sorts of permutations - needing a win, needing at least a draw, needing to avoid losing by three or more goals, etc.Β 

β€˜Needing a win’ is obviously a subset of β€˜coming down to the last game.’ Not the same thing at all.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

I see that Scotland are 1/2 with bookmakers to finish in the top two and qualify for the Euros.

I noticed that, can't remember when our qualifying odds were that short 2 games in.  If ever? ☺

7 hours ago, thesaint said:

Bit premature with those odds at such an early stage. Hope they are right all the same.Β 

Bookies wouldn’t give you the sweat aff their baws. There’s a good chance we’ll qualify and they don’t want to lose much money if it happens.Β 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Bookies wouldn’t give you the sweat aff their baws. There’s a good chance we’ll qualify and they don’t want to lose much money if it happens.Β 

Agreed, they're seldom far off the mark.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, todd said:

Agreed, they're seldom far off the mark.

Β 

On 4/19/2023 at 12:25 AM, Texas Pete said:

One of the first lessons when I trained to be a settler with a bookie.

The odds are nothing to do with actual chances. Only dictated by value of bets laid and bookies reducing risk of payout. The house always wins.

20 minutes ago, GLOSTA said:

Β 

One of the first lessons when I trained to be a settler with a bookie.

The odds are nothing to do with actual chances. Only dictated by value of bets laid and bookies reducing risk of payout. The house always wins.

Why England are always amongst the favourites when a major tournament comes around, half the country has backed them

Listen. I am always hopeful that Scotland could get a good result against anyone we play. On the other hand i have been following them long enough to know that we never make it easy for ourselves. Great start but two home games played. If we get something in Norway and beat Georgia at home then yes it would start to look really good for us. Then again if we lost in Norway and only got a draw against Georgia then things would start looking tight again. Any of those two scenario's could easily happen. Always alway be positive but never ever over confident. There is a big difference between the two. Learned that from decades of following Scotland. πŸ˜„

20 hours ago, thesaint said:

Listen. I am always hopeful that Scotland could get a good result against anyone we play. On the other hand i have been following them long enough to know that we never make it easy for ourselves. Great start but two home games played. If we get something in Norway and beat Georgia at home then yes it would start to look really good for us. Then again if we lost in Norway and only got a draw against Georgia then things would start looking tight again. Any of those two scenario's could easily happen. Always alway be positive but never ever over confident. There is a big difference between the two. Learned that from decades of following Scotland. πŸ˜„

100% this.

The scars of '78 run deep...... πŸ˜†