SNP leadership election - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

Ash Regan was interviewed on Good Morning Scotland just after 0800. She's a mix of Sandesh Gulhane and Liz Truss. An absolute car crash candidate who's fast becoming a pantomime act. She's firing someone elses anti-SNP bullets. Unfortunately into her own feet.
Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ash Regan was interviewed on Good Morning Scotland just after 0800. She's a mix of Sandesh Gulhane and Liz Truss. An absolute car crash candidate who's fast becoming a pantomime act. She's firing someone elses anti-SNP bullets. Unfortunately into her own feet.

With the greatest respects I signed up for membership of the SNP as they promised to push for independence. My next FM has to have that mantra in them for me. I want someone whi is passionate about independence who pledges the quickest most aggressive route to that goal who can energize the independence movement and make things happen. If they blow off their own feet whilst doing than sobeit. Humza and Forbes have given no indication whatsoever they are going to offer any great push to independence that I and plenty of others want.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

On 2/25/2023 at 7:23 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The tactic from SNP head office is for the "big guns" to announce their support for Yousaf daily rather than a bucket load at once

Yesterday it was Mhairi Black

Tonight it is Amy Callaghan

Today it is Ian Blackford

19 hours ago, phart said:

The first part is entirely correct though. Both come as prejudices because of an unfounded belief that same-sex and mixed race marriages are lesser in some way. Same sex cause god said it was lesser, miscegenation cause one race is lesser than the other.

There's been research papers written on the similiarities, articles written about it. Studies into miscegenation have been used to inform studies on same-sex marriages.

Thinking they are not at least partially akin is a function of your ignorance and not Black's.

No religion, that I know of, apart from the Nation of Islam (if that qualifies as such), forbids mixed race marriage or preaches that one race is inferior to another.  Mixed race marriage has never been illegal in this country and freedom of religious expression is protected by law.  In any case, I'm fairly certain eugenics isn't a feature of the religion practiced by Forbes. 

I understand that both philosophies are "man made" (albeit religious people would say that they are following the word of God) and based on beliefs rather than verifiable facts, although the belief that marriage should be between a man and woman possibly has some roots in practicality which go back to the days long, long before surrogacy and IVF!

Black is far from ignorant, which makes it worse. She deliberately and unfairly, IMO, insinuated a subject as emotive as racism into a lengthy post attacking Forbes.  It was unnecessary and below the belt.

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't believe the amount of MP's or MSPs backing humza. he is weaker than Douglas Ross FFS. 

He'll get torn a new arsehole every FMQs. 

Which is some achievement given the standard of opposition. 

If he is FM, we can forget independence for a long time as he'll set us back years. 

20 minutes ago, scotlad said:

No religion, that I know of, apart from the Nation of Islam (if that qualifies as such), forbids mixed race marriage or preaches that one race is inferior to another.  Mixed race marriage has never been illegal in this country and freedom of religious expression is protected by law.  In any case, I'm fairly certain eugenics isn't a feature of the religion practiced by Forbes. 

I understand that both philosophies are "man made" (albeit religious people would say that they are following the word of God) and based on beliefs rather than verifiable facts, although the belief that marriage should be between a man and woman possibly has some roots in practicality which go back to the days long, long before surrogacy and IVF!

Black is far from ignorant, which makes it worse. She deliberately and unfairly, IMO, insinuated a subject as emotive as racism into a lengthy post attacking Forbes.  It was unnecessary and below the belt.

Mixed race marriage was illegal in certain US states until 1967.

Might be worth asking her whether or not she thinks an adherent of her church should be able to marry a Roman Catholic in her church.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Hard to see any of them being as popular as Sturgeon with the public and able to unite the party and unless I’m missing something, the path to independence looks a long way off, possibly as far off as it has been in a long time. 

No, none of them are unifiers.  Humza looks like he has a sizable chunk of MSPs backing him (which will last until his ineptitude puts their seats in jeopardy), but I suspect isn't all that popular with activists.  Just a feeling I have.

Kate must command some respect amongst her colleagues considering the brief she's had, and I reckon she'll go down well with rank and file party members.  However, her non-political views will be toxic to some within the party.  Ash is also divisive and a bit of a Johnny-come-lately figure, IMO. 

What the SNP really needed at this juncture was an elder states....person figure to step in and steady the ship.  Trouble is, none of those fitting the bill, e.g. Brown or Swinney, fancied it.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The destination is the same regardless of any differences in the route. The will to legislate against equal rights for a group because of some personal philosophy. Many consider that wrong. It's irrelevant if you ascribe to the frankly ridiculous belief that your philosophy is informed by the being that created the universe.

Both examples are cases of this. As stated that is the categorisation that allows comparison. Now they aren't identical. They are similiar enough that it is common practice in law and academia for them to be studied in conjunction with each other. That is just a fact.

You may think Black is bringing them up disingenuously and using the fact they are linked as a political weapon and those aren't really her thoughts. In that case i'm hardly going to die on the hill of a politician lying for political gain.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Mixed race marriage was illegal in certain US states until 1967.

Might be worth asking her whether or not she thinks an adherent of her church should be able to marry a Roman Catholic in her church.

Was there not a guy in Blair's government, (McLeod) also from Skye who was high up minister.

He was even freee er than Kate, and iirc he wouldn't go to a Catholic funeral of a govt minister, or he did go and caused his wee super free church to split in to an even weeer  free church 

Edited by stocky

5 minutes ago, stocky said:

Was there not a guy in Blair's government, (McLeod) also from Skye who was high up minister.

He was even freee er than Kate, and iirc he wouldn't go to a Catholic funeral of a govt minister, or he did go and caused his wee super free church to split in to an even weeer  free church 

Not bad, you’ve got almost every single fact about him wrong - apart from him being Lord Chancellor😂

You are talking about Lord Mackay of Clashfern who was Lord Chancellor under Thatcher and Major.  He was thrown out of his particular sect of the Free Church for attending a Catholic funeral mass.

58 minutes ago, aaid said:

Okay, religious maniac.  

Whatever flaws you think she has due to her religious beliefs, I think you are being ridiculously unfair to her. Terms like the above are just inflammatory like tabloid journalism - I guess that’s where we are as a society. It’s tiresome and somewhat depressing. 

4 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Whatever flaws you think she has due to her religious beliefs, I think you are being ridiculously unfair to her. Terms like the above are just inflammatory like tabloid journalism - I guess that’s where we are as a society. It’s tiresome and somewhat depressing. 

Totally agree with this