Meditation 🧘‍♂️ 🧘‍♀️ - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Meditation 🧘‍♂️ 🧘‍♀️


Recommended Posts

I started meditation a few weeks ago. It is amazing. Every morning before work, and before bed.. Anyone else do it. It's so good for my anxiety, and stresses. I strongly recommend trying it to anyone. I use "Insight Timer". You won't get a better app.. These days, and this world is enough to drive anyone insane.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Based only on your outbursts on the TAMB, it doesn't seem to be working. 

Oh I don't know...

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gonna batter fuck of yees so I ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been getting into meditation for the past few months. Been using Sam Harris's app. I'd tried mindfullness before but didn't get anything from it. As a neuroscientist, Harris does a much better job of explaining the what and why of it all.

I've found it really good. Even if just by a small bit, really does help you to slow down and stop reacting to everything instinctively/emotionally. Obviously you might need a wee bit more practice Ramy! 😜

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I've been getting into meditation for the past few months. Been using Sam Harris's app. I'd tried mindfullness before but didn't get anything from it. As a neuroscientist, Harris does a much better job of explaining the what and why of it all.

I've found it really good. Even if just by a small bit, really does help you to slow down and stop reacting to everything instinctively/emotionally. Obviously you might need a wee bit more practice Ramy! 😜

 

Davie, I totally agree mate. I do have anger issues, always have. Mindfulness is great. I journal when I do the "in the now". The meditation works for me. I do it at work as well, even in my work vehicle. Since I quit drinking 8 month ago, my health is improved significantly, as well as my blood pressure going down. There are some great books out there, and I have also read a wee bit about Buddhism. Calms me right down....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meditation is the practice of silencing the chatter of your mind, it sounds easy but just stop and see how long it is before you involuntarily think something... 

But there are ancient techniques the most easy and well known is to give full and continuous attention to your breathing.

What is it that remains once you are capable of shutting down all thought. Pure awareness, consciousness, you. It is a very spiritual and ancient practice. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Davie, I totally agree mate. I do have anger issues, always have. Mindfulness is great. I journal when I do the "in the now". The meditation works for me. I do it at work as well, even in my work vehicle. Since I quit drinking 8 month ago, my health is improved significantly, as well as my blood pressure going down. There are some great books out there, and I have also read a wee bit about Buddhism. Calms me right down....

Aye.... it's good. My problem is setting a routine, and remembering to take the 10 minutes to do it every day.

I practiced it every day during my holiday in the summer. I was only a few weeks out of hospital, so really needed the help it gave with my stress/anxiety. I think it was the most relaxed and chilled oot i've ever been in my life!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Meditation is the practice of silencing the chatter of your mind, it sounds easy but just stop and see how long it is before you involuntarily think something... 

But there are ancient techniques the most easy and well known is to give full and continuous attention to your breathing.

What is it that remains once you are capable of shutting down all thought. Pure awareness, consciousness, you. It is a very spiritual and ancient practice. 

 

Bang on. Sam Harris really gets to the heart of this. A lot better than the other app i tried years ago (i think it was called Headspace).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Aye.... it's good. My problem is setting a routine, and remembering to take the 10 minutes to do it every day.

I practiced it every day during my holiday in the summer. I was only a few weeks out of hospital, so really needed the help it gave with my stress/anxiety. I think it was the most relaxed and chilled oot i've ever been in my life!
 

Same with me. When I came out of the my treatment in June, I continued some of what I learned. Now, I am back at it 100 percent, even my wife does the meditation with me. Gives us both a relaxed feeling before the day starts. Have you tried the "box breathing"? I suffer from anxiety, so I need to follow through with this. It has honestly changed my life for the better.. I do not miss the drink, I don't think I will ever touch it again to be honest....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Meditation is the practice of silencing the chatter of your mind, it sounds easy but just stop and see how long it is before you involuntarily think something... 

But there are ancient techniques the most easy and well known is to give full and continuous attention to your breathing.

What is it that remains once you are capable of shutting down all thought. Pure awareness, consciousness, you. It is a very spiritual and ancient practice. 

 

For once, totally agree with everything you just wrote. I practice this daily now, it is not easy like you say, but if you involve patience, mindfulness, and proper breathing, you can come to a state of total relaxation and serenity....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Bang on. Sam Harris really gets to the heart of this. A lot better than the other app i tried years ago (i think it was called Headspace).

I do Headspace, but I prefer Insight Timer... It's all about balance. I often play Tao Lounge when I meditate, and my wife gets the incense out, very therapeutic... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Same with me. When I came out of the my treatment in June, I continued some of what I learned. Now, I am back at it 100 percent, even my wife does the meditation with me. Gives us both a relaxed feeling before the day starts. Have you tried the "box breathing"? I suffer from anxiety, so I need to follow through with this. It has honestly changed my life for the better.. I do not miss the drink, I don't think I will ever touch it again to be honest....

I've never heard of box breathing, no

 

6 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I do Headspace, but I prefer Insight Timer... It's all about balance. I often play Tao Lounge when I meditate, and my wife gets the incense out, very therapeutic... 

It must have been about 5 years ago when i tried headspace. I imagine meditation is just like any other subject, in that you need to find the right teacher to learn the most out of it.

 

Edited by Dave78
...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I've never heard of box breathing, no

 

It must have been about 5 years ago when i tried headspace. I imagine meditation is just like any other subject, in that you need to find the right teacher to learn the most out of it.

 

You can Google box breathing mate. It is a way of breathing to calm anxiety and stress. It's very simple to do and works wonders. Meditation, try Insight Timer, it will walk you through then process as well. I am right into it. I had a serious drinking problem, I have it under control now, and everything I have mentioned above, helps. I also attend AA, which changed my life, but not going to get into it on this board.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another old but lesser known technique for shutting up your internal head chatter is one that I particularly like as I discovered it myself as a kid when I suffered from insomnia long before I heard of meditation (no it's not wanking).

Some of you will know what I mean here but if you lie down and close your eyes and once fully still, so all sensation of touch and movement stops... you can become aware of each limb 'internally' . It is easiest to start with your fingers. You can sense they are there without them being touched or touching anything. You can do this limb by limb and then your torso and then your whole body. Like with the breathing technique you get better at it and you can combine the two techniques as well. I think it is called Inner Body meditation or the like. As as kid I struggled to sleep at times and I just accidentally noticed this lying awake into the wee hours. Without relying on touch or being touched you can feel your body from the inside (and being a form of meditation it does help you sleep).

Edited by thplinth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

You can Google box breathing mate. It is a way of breathing to calm anxiety and stress. It's very simple to do and works wonders. Meditation, try Insight Timer, it will walk you through then process as well. I am right into it. I had a serious drinking problem, I have it under control now, and everything I have mentioned above, helps. I also attend AA, which changed my life, but not going to get into it on this board.. 

Will look into it, thanks

23 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Another old but lesser known technique for shutting up your internal head chatter is one that I particularly like as I discovered it myself as a kid when I suffered from insomnia long before I heard of meditation (no it's not wanking).

Some of you will know what I mean here but if you lie down and close your eyes and once fully still, so all sensation of touch and movement stops... you can become aware of each limb 'internally' . It is easiest to start with your fingers. You can sense they are there without them being touched or touching anything. You can do this limb by limb and then your torso and then your whole body. Like with the breathing technique you get better at it and you can combine the two techniques as well. I think it is called Inner Body meditation or the like. As as kid I struggled to sleep at times and I just accidentally noticed this lying awake into the wee hours. Without relying on touch or being touched you can feel your body from the inside (and being a form of meditation it does help you sleep).

I suffered from insomnia as a teenager too. Alleviated it by listening to the radio (fucking James Whale before he became a massive wank) and reading books till i passed out. Still a shite sleeper of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Another old but lesser known technique for shutting up your internal head chatter is one that I particularly like as I discovered it myself as a kid when I suffered from insomnia long before I heard of meditation (no it's not wanking).

Some of you will know what I mean here but if you lie down and close your eyes and once fully still, so all sensation of touch and movement stops... you can become aware of each limb 'internally' . It is easiest to start with your fingers. You can sense they are there without them being touched or touching anything. You can do this limb by limb and then your torso and then your whole body. Like with the breathing technique you get better at it and you can combine the two techniques as well. I think it is called Inner Body meditation or the like. As as kid I struggled to sleep at times and I just accidentally noticed this lying awake into the wee hours. Without relying on touch or being touched you can feel your body from the inside (and being a form of meditation it does help you sleep).

I am going to look into this. Thanks...

I also suffer from sleep Apnea, I'm getting the Cpap in 3 weeks thank fuck. I will try anything. Spirituality is the way forward for me now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...