Foreign football - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign football

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, dan cake said:

Chelsea appear to have dumped half a team of overpaid impostors to Saudi Arabia where they’ll probably continue to be eh…overpaid impostors 

And in the process have gone a long way to addressing the FFP issues they were having. Suspect?

In the plus side of all this Saudi stuff Gary Neville is continuing to make a rip roaring arse of himself. Questioning the integrity of it! WTF? English Premiership Gary? Millionaire mates paying for Salford's success in getting to the Football League. 

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

In the plus side of all this Saudi stuff Gary Neville is continuing to make a rip roaring arse of himself. Questioning the integrity of it! WTF? English Premiership Gary? Millionaire mates paying for Salford's success in getting to the Football League. 

To quote Jaap Stam “he’s a busy Cunt”

Edited by dan cake

35 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Anyone watching CONCACAF? The Gold Cup? Not great quality but just watched Guadeloupe beat Cuba 4-1. Pretty entertaining with a few yellows and a red for good measure 👍😂 Guatemala v Canada coming up. 

Cheers pal. Didnae even know it was on, but I found it. Going to have a wee cuppa and watch it.. 🙂👊

I was watching the Euro U21 QF between Spain and Switzerland yesterday evening (UEFA website). The young Spanish team is packed with talent but they aren't half qualified in the dark side of the game too. Rolling about, demanding the ref book opponents, shithousing the opposition players when it was clear they were safely through, not till the end of ET for the last part mind.

I know there are elements of this is all modern football but I think Spain take it to a different level. To see one of their age group teams doing it to such an extent underlined my opinion that the culture in Spanish fitba is fairly rotten. 

This Saudi Arabia nonsense is going to ruin football, mark my words. I know it has gone on in England, Spain, Italy, etc, but the money they can spend is frightening. Is there not a rule about tapping players. We are apparantly getting €30 million for Jota, and he will make 10 mill a year tax free. This is only the start. These Saudis don't give a fuck, and have no shortage of funds. Some players careers will go right doon the shitter as they are in it for money, noting more unfortunately. Just my opinion..

5 hours ago, morrie21 said:

I know there are elements of this is all modern football but I think Spain take it to a different level. To see one of their age group teams doing it to such an extent underlined my opinion that the culture in Spanish fitba is fairly rotten. 

I love my foreign football but La Liga can be a very hard watch at times, annoying especially because most teams are packed with players of outstanding talent and skills but they’d rather shithouse their way through 90 minutes. Must be a nightmare for the refs having every decision questioned and having to deal with players acting like petulant children at every opportunity 

18 hours ago, dan cake said:

I love my foreign football but La Liga can be a very hard watch at times, annoying especially because most teams are packed with players of outstanding talent and skills but they’d rather shithouse their way through 90 minutes. Must be a nightmare for the refs having every decision questioned and having to deal with players acting like petulant children at every opportunity 

Fully agree mate. I no longer watch that league for the very reasons outlined above. And we have a dedicated TV channel to just that league in this country with pundits like Graham Hunter going on about how great it is. Not for me.

21 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

This Saudi Arabia nonsense is going to ruin football, mark my words. I know it has gone on in England, Spain, Italy, etc, but the money they can spend is frightening. Is there not a rule about tapping players. We are apparantly getting €30 million for Jota, and he will make 10 mill a year tax free. This is only the start. These Saudis don't give a fuck, and have no shortage of funds. Some players careers will go right doon the shitter as they are in it for money, noting more unfortunately. Just my opinion..

Is that not what Celtic have been doing for years to other Scottish teams, the only difference is they always lowball the transfer fee they want to pay.

24 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Is that not what Celtic have been doing for years to other Scottish teams, the only difference is they always lowball the transfer fee they want to pay.

I don't believe so. Celtic do not approach a player from the Scottish League under contract, offer him 10 times his salary, and pay the parent club 30 million.. The Saudis have more money than any country in the world... We sign players the honest way, never under value their worth, and offer them European football, silverware, and an opportunity to fulfill their dreams and aspirations as a football player....

Holy bollocks !! Just reading on Sky Sports that the Saudis are at it again. Slippy G heading there now.. The world gone mad in the middle east.. I'm telling yae folks, the Next World Cup, The European Championships, The 6 Nations, The Grand National, Wimbledon, World Bagpipe Championship, Tea in The Park, are all heading to Saudi Arabia. You heard it first from the Canadian Mountie... 🤣

53 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I don't believe so. Celtic do not approach a player from the Scottish League under contract, offer him 10 times his salary, and pay the parent club 30 million.. The Saudis have more money than any country in the world... We sign players the honest way, never under value their worth, and offer them European football, silverware, and an opportunity to fulfill their dreams and aspirations as a football player....

🎣🎣🎣 undersized so i'll throw the Ramy fish back 😉

Funnily enough I lecture part time at University.  We were debating the richest countries in the world last week before we split up.  Saudi Arabia are nowhere near that.  The Uk is even above them.  The difference is that Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship with a few mutibillionaires in charge.  In terms of GDP it is at the moment is Luxembourg.  Ireland is 2nd.  Same with Russia, the money is all in the hands of the few.

17 minutes ago, SamP said:

Funnily enough I lecture part time at University.  We were debating the richest countries in the world last week before we split up.  Saudi Arabia are nowhere near that.  The Uk is even above them.  The difference is that Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship with a few mutibillionaires in charge.  In terms of GDP it is at the moment is Luxembourg.  Ireland is 2nd.  Same with Russia, the money is all in the hands of the few.

I assume you don't lecture in economics, then?

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I assume you don't lecture in economics, then?

You tell me who is then?  I have been lecturing economics for 30 years.  It depends on what you call rich.  In 2023 it is by GDP the two countries I mentioned.

5 minutes ago, SamP said:

You tell me who is then?  I have been lecturing economics for 30 years.  It depends on what you call rich.  In 2023 it is by GDP the two countries I mentioned.

According to Forbes Ireland are now 3rd after Singapore.  Point is Saudi Arabia are nowhere near.  But they have a few multi-billionaires that can buy anything they like.

It's the PIF (Public Investment Fund) I think they are using for this sports washing project. It's a sovereign wealth fund.  Seems to be unlimited money in there for sporting related projects. Golf, boxing, I think there is some tennis project in the offing, and it now looks like fitba is the latest sport they want to flood with their money.

What's happened is the PIF has been used to take over the four leading Saudi clubs. The clubs are now in the process of throwing that money at European based players.

7 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

It's the PIF (Public Investment Fund) I think they are using for this sports washing project. It's a sovereign wealth fund.  Seems to be unlimited money in there for sporting related projects. Golf, boxing, I think there is some tennis project in the offing, and it now looks like fitba is the latest sport they want to flood with their money.

What's happened is the PIF has been used to take over the four leading Saudi clubs. The clubs are now in the process of throwing that money at European based players.

That is true.  But it's the age old dilemma.  And most of us would take a promotion at work if it meant more money and all that goes with it.  Anyone that goes there as soon as they sign on the dotted line will be a millionaire overnight.  The English Premiership is different in that there are a lot of good players there.  I don't know much about the Saudi League but can't imagine it is as challenging.  So easy option and easy money there.  It's a difficult one and each individual like Jota has a choice to make.  Staying with Celtic on £35 k per week or go to Saudi on £10 million a tear (according to reports)  What would you or anyone else on here do?

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Ive got to say, I dont understand the sportswashing point. I dont believe its an actual thing.

When you break it down. Whats the purpose?

It doesnt stop people talking about the human rights record, if anything it highlights it because its now brought up everytime they do something.

It doesnt normalise business dealings with Saudi as the west have been doing business with them for 30 years without issue. Again it probably highlights it and puts pressure on the western companies rather than it going under the radar like it has previously.

I dont even think it is aimed at attracting tourism. Nobody is going to Saudi on holiday because they are invested in boxing, or F1 or golf or football etc. If they wanted people to come to the country they could just drop a few billion making outlandish holiday destinations and then make it super cheap. The average family wouldnt care about human rights record if they could get a 5 star holiday in an amazing resort for the cost of going to Butlins.

I believe that they just want to have influence in the top sports because they have loads of money and like sport. Its like the guy who wins the lottery here and buys a football club.

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'd be willing to be Celtic and almost every other club will sound out a player under contract. Celtic maybe don't offer the parent clubs 30 Million but relatively speaking they have been doing to other clubs in the SPFL what the Saudi clubs are now doing. Every club does it, Aberdeen took players from, st Mirren, Hamilton and Motherwell - and paid them much more than they were on

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I'd be willing to be Celtic and almost every other club will sound out a player under contract. Celtic maybe don't offer the parent clubs 30 Million but relatively speaking they have been doing to other clubs in the SPFL what the Saudi clubs are now doing. Every club does it, Aberdeen took players from, st Mirren, Hamilton and Motherwell - and paid them much more than they were on

Agreed !! Jesus VA, you and I getting along. Only took 15 years.. 🤣🤣🤣🍺🍺