Triple Header Games - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Triple Header Games

gkm_vancouver

In this set of games the Israel v Austria game is big as well as we really need Austria to slip up there .

However it only ever seems to be us who cannot beat Israel , we play them often enough.

its probably going to be Vienna them on 10 points us on 8 points , where  a loss would probably be it for the hopes 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d like to see Turnbull get a proper chance over these 3 games. We struggle badly for goals. Turnbull’s goal threat from midfield might just give us something different. I don’t feel like there’s a big goalscorer out if all of our forwards. If we can find goals from somewhere else that’ll be a much needed bonus.

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I’d like to see Turnbull get a proper chance over these 3 games. We struggle badly for goals. Turnbull’s goal threat from midfield might just give us something different. I don’t feel like there’s a big goalscorer out if all of our forwards. If we can find goals from somewhere else that’ll be a much needed bonus.

Yeh it would be good to see him play but there is McGinn, Christie and Armstrong who are contenders for that attacking midfield position unless Turnbull could be played deeper. McGinn has been a good goal threat in that position for us so I would maybe start him there. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh it would be good to see him play but there is McGinn, Christie and Armstrong who are contenders for that attacking midfield position unless Turnbull could be played deeper. McGinn has been a good goal threat in that position for us so I would maybe start him there. 

I think thats Turnbulls main problem. Not that he isnt good enough, just that there are better players who have performed well for Scotland in his position. 

Would you drop or move McGinn to accomodate Turnbull? Christie has been one of Clarkes best performers.

What I would do is rest whoever starts in the Denmark game for the Moldova game and use Turnbull off the bench in that game. Ie If McGinn plays attacking mid against Denmark, start Christie against Moldova and sub him for Turnbull later on.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think thats Turnbulls main problem. Not that he isnt good enough, just that there are better players who have performed well for Scotland in his position. 

Would you drop or move McGinn to accomodate Turnbull? Christie has been one of Clarkes best performers.

What I would do is rest whoever starts in the Denmark game for the Moldova game and use Turnbull off the bench in that game. Ie If McGinn plays attacking mid against Denmark, start Christie against Moldova and sub him for Turnbull later on.

That's probably what I would do, maybe even start Turnbull in the Moldova game and play Christie off the main striker. I think Mcginn deserves to start our games against Denmark and Austria. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, ST6's-t-army said:

You are slightly correct, Most of this current crop of players were available to the last manager and we were still in the same boat. 

Right! We lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan with the last manager! We were also routinely trounced by teams like Belgium and Russia. Now we're talking about sacking the next guy if he drops points in Denmark and Austria. Le's get some consistency in the coaching, see if Clarke can build a mentality, learn from his mistakes, and get to changing things mid-game. Let's not throw away a good coach who wants the job without any viable better replacememt.

14 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Right! We lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan with the last manager! We were also routinely trounced by teams like Belgium and Russia. Now we're talking about sacking the next guy if he drops points in Denmark and Austria. Le's get some consistency in the coaching, see if Clarke can build a mentality, learn from his mistakes, and get to changing things mid-game. Let's not throw away a good coach who wants the job without any viable better replacememt.

Bang on the money

15 hours ago, COLT NY said:

We were trounced by Belgium and Russia with this manager not the previous one but I am sure you know that.

The whole point is that we have a pool of players NOW that should be competitive on the international stage, if we aren't there is only one person to blame.

And just to clarify no one has said sack the manager.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, ST6's-t-army said:

Ok so how do you see the next 3 games going?

My prediction is a Draw or a tight win for Denmark, The next two are win and win.... whats yer thoughts?

Denmark A = Defeat

Moldova H = Win

Austria A = Defeat

Sadly that will be us for Qatar. Rest of the games will be about preparing for Euro 2024. 

Would love to be well wrong mind. Still can’t help but believe that Austria at Home and Israel away did us in. 

J

14 hours ago, ST6's-t-army said:

Pretty sure there would be more than one person to blame..... hence the word.... team 😉😉  also PMA.....positive mental attitude... 

A manager is employed to ensure a task is completed. If said task is a reasonable request and is not completed  then it is the manager that is to blame. No manager in any walk of life would expect it any other way

I have no Idea what Clarke's employers expect but the fact that he have extended his contract suggests very little.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A manager is employed to ensure a task is completed. If said task is a reasonable request and is not completed  then it is the manager that is to blame. No manager in any walk of life would expect it any other way

I have no Idea what Clarke's employers expect but the fact that he have extended his contract suggests very little.

Well I personally have faith in sir Steven Clarke and think we have no other who could do a better job....

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

I would imagine Clarke’s employers think they would find it difficult to get anyone better at the moment and want to make sure they can get decent compensation if Clarke decides to leave. 

Maybe they also have faith in him getting us to the playoffs and possibly the World Cup? 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I would imagine Clarke’s employers think they would find it difficult to get anyone better at the moment and want to make sure they can get decent compensation if Clarke decides to leave. 

Maybe they also have faith in him getting us to the playoffs and possibly the World Cup? 

Clarke is BOSS!  all the naysayers need to look at the bigger picture of where we were and where we are now... then back there negativity up with a solution... who would they want in Clarkes place?  Stevo all the way!

5 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Scotland FIFA ranking when Clarke was appointed in May 2019: 44

Scotland FIFA ranking now: 44

Clear progress! Ship steadied.....

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the world rankings. It’s hard to climb them significantly unless you beat teams ranked above you regularly.

We were up to 13th in 2007 and came third in our group. I’d rather be 44th and come second.  

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the world rankings. It’s hard to climb them significantly unless you beat teams ranked above you regularly.

We were up to 13th in 2007 and came third in our group. I’d rather be 44th and come second.  

A lot more meaningful now that there are virtually no friendlies though.

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A lot more meaningful now that there are virtually no friendlies though.

Very few friendlies in Europe but I think there are still plenty elsewhere in the world. 

They are also less relevant as they are not used for the Euros seeding pots. Would be good to improve our ranking for World Cup seeding purposes right enough but we have nearly 4 years to do that. 

We've pretty much stayed around the 40-50 mark on the rankings during Clarke's term which is about right I suppose. 

A good return from this triple header though and probably more than most expected, but we did need it after dropping points in the first 3 games. Whilst the Austria game was a great result, the Moldova game was difficult to figure out why we looked so nervous after the first goal. Is it really down to being over-keen to do well? There should be enough experience in the team to overcome that. Anyway hopefully the general improvement in the squad will result in more consistent performances and more wins.

With the next games being just double-headers there will be less need to rotate the team so barring injuries we will still need another strong performance against Israel. Win that and go on to secure second spot and we should start climbing and getting to a place where we can hopefully qualify more regularly.