Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 328 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I've been really impressed with him recently. Still has a bit of pace, is a good crosser and has a good finish.  Looks like ab EPL player which is what he is.

I don't think he'll be in our first 11 but should be in the squad.

Good to see Adams scoring but I wonder if it might be Dykes or Adams in the squad and not both.

If fit it will be both Dykes and Adam. 100%, not even a remote chance of either being dropped.

The question is who the 3rd forward will be. Probably between Shankland, Brown and Nisbet. Id take Shankland.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If fit it will be both Dykes and Adam. 100%, not even a remote chance of either being dropped.

The question is who the 3rd forward will be. Probably between Shankland, Brown and Nisbet. Id take Shankland.

For me that 3rd striker is the only position not nailed on i think the rest of the squad picks itself if everyone is fit

For me its Shanklands to lose and based on where hes playing and his position in that team i cant see him losing it. Nisbett not first choice at Millwall recently, Brown can see him losing form and his position in Luton team. The one i would have been interested in is Ross Stewart if he could have been fit this season which he sadly isnt. I think he is better alround than Shankland better physically, strength, speed, hold up play - but im happy with Shankland being there 

Hypothetically speaking, if Shankland ends up at Rangers this January would it be a good or a bad thing for him and/or the National Team?

Rangers will definitely be in the market for a striker in January, especially if Dessers and Sima get selected for the Afcon, and Shankland has appeared on every rumour I've seen. He could probably be available at a relatively modest fee given his age.

But the point is whether that helps him get in the squad, there's a suggestion (which I agree with to an extent) that as soon as any Scottish player signs for Rangers or Celtic they automatically get into the squad, but on the other hand he might get much less game time if and when Rangers squad gets back to full fitness as I'd see him struggle to get a look in ahead of the likes of Danilo or even a fit Kemar Roofe.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Hypothetically speaking, if Shankland ends up at Rangers this January would it be a good or a bad thing for him and/or the National Team?

Rangers will definitely be in the market for a striker in January, especially if Dessers and Sima get selected for the Afcon, and Shankland has appeared on every rumour I've seen. He could probably be available at a relatively modest fee given his age.

But the point is whether that helps him get in the squad, there's a suggestion (which I agree with to an extent) that as soon as any Scottish player signs for Rangers or Celtic they automatically get into the squad, but on the other hand he might get much less game time if and when Rangers squad gets back to full fitness as I'd see him struggle to get a look in ahead of the likes of Danilo or even a fit Kemar Roofe.

I think that was certainly true for most of the last 25 years. However, the squad is a bit harder to break into nowadays. Turnbull, Ralston, Forrest and Taylor have been regulars at Celtic at various points in the last couple of years but didn't necessarily make the squad. Same goes for Souttar, Wright and Jack at Rangers. In the past, only a handful of appearances would have been enough for them to be in with a shout.

To answer your original question, I think Shankland going to Rangers would be a great move if he actually gets a game. He'd score a barrel load there, provided he is given the minutes. However, Rangers aren't exactly renowned for giving chances to Scots. So it could be a big risk.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Dykes has mega credit in the bank but he needs to start scoring 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yes and in Adams case actually getting a run of starts would help. Said before in the France game that i thought he looked a bit heavier and slower probably because he was hardly getting  any game time.Needs to start games. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I think if Dykes is fit but doesnt score again for the rest of the season then he is still on the plane for a number of reasons.

1) Credit in the bank

2) Knows our system and phases of play which is important to Clarke

3) Utter lack of any credible alternatives

I can see Adams getting a move to low end EPL team in January. Would suit both parties at this stage although Stewart getting injured might affect things.

36 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think if Dykes is fit but doesnt score again for the rest of the season then he is still on the plane for a number of reasons.

1) Credit in the bank

I can see Adams getting a move to low end EPL team in January. Would suit both parties at this stage although Stewart getting injured might affect 

Adams is hardly setting the championship alight so why would an EPL team want him? Even his goal yesterday was a pretty easy finish when Southampton were already 4 up. He’s been off it for over a year now.

I think Dykes will be in for his unselfishness and hold-up play but I think Shankland should be at least tried as a starter.

36 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Adams is hardly setting the championship alight so why would an EPL team want him? Even his goal yesterday was a pretty easy finish when Southampton were already 4 up. He’s been off it for over a year now.

I think Dykes will be in for his unselfishness and hold-up play but I think Shankland should be at least tried as a starter.

I believe there was bids for Adams in the summer. It often happens when a team get relegated and dont sell a player, that the player falls out of favour and doesnt perform. More often than not the player moves in January as it suits both parties. The buying club normally get the player for abit cheaper than they would the previous summer and will be banking on getting the player back to previous levels.

Adams could still do a job for a number of EPL lower half sides and for about 10 million he will be worth a punt.

11 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Commentary team praising Patterson on a couple of occasions despite the result for his performance against Man city tonight up against Grealish.

Patterson played well against Man City / Grealish. Got caught  out once and had to pull Grealish down for which he received a yellow card. Didn’t have many opportunities to get forward due to Man City having  the vast majority of possession but was always a willing runner up the right side when the opportunity appeared. 
He’s played well since his inclusion back in Everton’s starting 11, hopefully he’ll retain the shirt even when Young and Coleman return from injury. I think he’ll eventually be an excellent right back / wing back. And he offers a threat going forward.

I think he’s starting to show a bit more maturity in his game,  hopefully he’ll go from strength to strength, he has all the attributes to be a top player. 

Edited by Scot1

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Great goal from Shankland. He’s turned into some player 

Is that 17 goals he's scored now? (Including 1 for Scotland) Very few, if any, have been penalties. There are some really high quality and varied goals in there. It's not like he's only scoring against the bottom 6 either.

If he continues this form, he'll break the 30 goal barrier for Hearts. Though I would be shocked if no one snaps him up in January. 

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Is that 17 goals he's scored now? (Including 1 for Scotland) Very few, if any, have been penalties. There are some really high quality and varied goals in there. It's not like he's only scoring against the bottom 6 either.

If he continues this form, he'll break the 30 goal barrier for Hearts. Though I would be shocked if no one snaps him up in January. 

Yeah it’s likely he will go in January, especially with 18 months on his deal. 

£3M move to Rangers imminent…

19 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Spot on.

The only way I would be see a change to this would be a new striker emerging with a great vein of form in a top league and that isn't going to happen. And I'd only be screaming for change if there were better options out there and there aren't at present. In any case in competitive matches with the strikers we currently have playing our results have been might impressive so no need for panic stations.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah it’s likely he will go in January, especially with 18 months on his deal. 

£3M move to Rangers imminent…

With 18 months left, I think Hearts should hold out for more than £3m. 

We've been crying out for a prolific striker for years. Maybe Shankland is hitting form at just the right time, leading up to the Euros. Give him a couple of starts in friendlies and maybe he'll force his way into the starting 11. 

As much as I like Dykes and Adams, I'd happily drop both for a good finisher.

19 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think that was certainly true for most of the last 25 years. However, the squad is a bit harder to break into nowadays. Turnbull, Ralston, Forrest and Taylor have been regulars at Celtic at various points in the last couple of years but didn't necessarily make the squad. Same goes for Souttar, Wright and Jack at Rangers. In the past, only a handful of appearances would have been enough for them to be in with a shout.

I think those are a few interesting examples.

Ralston unfortunately for him has 2 better full backs ahead of him. Taylor has generally made squads when we are shortish in his position and Clarke trusts him to do a job (Stephen O'Donnell similarly until recently). Turnbull hasn't featured enough at Celtic really to justify being called up. Forrest was an older staple under Strachan but had a very long absence in the last couple of years and honestly was ineffective in a Scotland jersey bar a handful of games.

On those Rangers players, Souttar and Jack would be in every squad they are fit for, but famously are injured often. Wright really isn't up to scratch as an OF player tbh.

The blue/green bounce players are perceived to get to get more call ups I have always seen as a bitter dig from non OF fans at favouritism, but if they are playing in squads with generally better players with more of a winning mentality it does make sense that it should be favourable 

Just watched the Steve Clarke sky sports interview posted the other day.

By the sounds of it there's very little likelihood of trying to swing any of the English born players eligible over into the squad. "Open minded" on adding some new up and coming players in but has enough of a task on his hands trying to get a 23 man squad out of the existing player pool.

20 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I believe there was bids for Adams in the summer. It often happens when a team get relegated and dont sell a player, that the player falls out of favour and doesnt perform. More often than not the player moves in January as it suits both parties. The buying club normally get the player for abit cheaper than they would the previous summer and will be banking on getting the player back to previous levels.

Adams could still do a job for a number of EPL lower half sides and for about 10 million he will be worth a punt.

I hope you're right but did Adams do particularly well in the EPL last season? 

Shankland is our best striker and I hope he goes to the English championship and not Rangers.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, N4Footsoldier said:

It'd be a good thing for Rangers if he signs for them, I'm pretty certain about that. He wouldn't play in Europe much but he'd score against teams in the league, including Celtic, which is exactly what Rangers have needed in recent seasons.

From a Scotland perspective, and with the Euros coming up, I'd much rather he stayed at Hearts, where he is the main man and is currently scoring goals for fun. I'd take him to Germany too, if he can maintain his form.

22 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

1) Credit in the bank

I can see Adams getting a move to low end EPL team in January. Would suit both parties at this stage although Stewart getting injured might affect things.

The much-maligned (on here) Oli McBurnie currently has as many league goals as Dykes, all scored in a better league too.

Unlike McBurnie, though, Dykes has shown he can score at international level. I think that, plus the fact he's settled in the squad, will assure his place in the squad, barring injuries.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

From a Scotland perspective, and with the Euros coming up, I'd much rather he stayed at Hearts, where he is the main man and is currently scoring goals for fun. I'd take him to Germany too, if he can maintain his form.

Rangers appear to have a done deal in Fabio Silva coming in on loan from Wolves, which would reduce the likelihood of Shankland moving across. Unless an English Championship club comes in (unlikely for a 28 year old), I think he could be staying put

25 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Rangers appear to have a done deal in Fabio Silva coming in on loan from Wolves, which would reduce the likelihood of Shankland moving across. Unless an English Championship club comes in (unlikely for a 28 year old), I think he could be staying put

Why is it unlikely that an English championship club would make a bid for a 28-year-old striker who doesn't really rely on pace? He probably has at least four years left at his current level. Hearts would definitely accept 2-3 million for him and that isn't a lot of money down there.

12 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Why is it unlikely that an English championship club would make a bid for a 28-year-old striker who doesn't really rely on pace? He probably has at least four years left at his current level. Hearts would definitely accept 2-3 million for him and that isn't a lot of money down there.

More along the lines of him being seen as an SPFL journeyman unproven outside of Scotland. His one stint away was a handful of goals on a team that finished 12points adrift at the bottom of the league in Belgium.

I do agree 2-3mil would probably be the going rate for him, and maybe there is a team that needs a striker who have a bit of insight up here that would go for it.

One of the rare occasions I'm in agreement with Michael Stewart, but I think Hearts would be mad to sell Shankland for a couple of million. His goals could guarantee them European group stage football, without them they'd be in relegation trouble. How much is that worth to them?