Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 314 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

On 12/5/2023 at 3:12 PM, Meagaidh said:

Re Barnes et al, I’m surprised nobody seems to be considering the effect just parachuting these guys into the squad on the eve of a tournament might have on the current positive group dynamic. Yes they may well improve on existing players, but persuading (and that’s what’s happening here) English players to represent Scotland now that we have qualified could stick some noses out of joint if it means that guys who have turned up to every camp during qualifying are squeezed out of the 23. The tournament itself should be a reward for the players who got us there. Were it up to me, if players like Barnes have signalled they want to be involved, they should be brought in after the Euros, starting with the Nations League campaign. While this might come at a cost to the on-paper strength of the team at the tournament, I don’t think any of the suggested players are good enough to merit potentially upsetting the harmony and togetherness of the current squad.

Yeh that's a fair point. The guys who got us there should be rewarded with a place in the squad.

Barnes has timed things all wrong imo. If only Barnes had declared after 3 or 4 games into the campaign then there wouldn't be too much of an issue. It was pretty clear that we would qualify after the first 3/4 games. If Barnes had declared around that time and then turned up to the squads for the remaining games there would probably be no problem.

Saying that hes a big improvement on what we have and we need all the help we can get, especially when it comes to scoring goals.

If it's a 26 man squad then I would take him, especially if theres injuries. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tom Cairney scores for Fulham. 

I wonder if Clarke would consider taking him to the euros if there was a major injury crisis to guys like gilmour and McLean. 

Who would be next in line if that was the case?

Cairneys 32 but I doubt he would pass up the chance of going to the euros.

Looking on twitter fans saying he is possibly having his best season and been outstanding lately. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh that's a fair point. The guys who got us there should be rewarded with a place in the squad.

Barnes has timed things all wrong imo. If only Barnes had declared after 3 or 4 games into the campaign then there wouldn't be too much of an issue. It was pretty clear that we would qualify after the first 3/4 games. If Barnes had declared around that time and then turned up to the squads for the remaining games there would probably be no problem.

Saying that hes a big improvement on what we have and we need all the help we can get, especially when it comes to scoring goals.

If it's a 26 man squad then I would take him, especially if theres injuries. 

Remember this time before the 2020 Euros, che hadn't declared for us 

I think Mr Barnes has been injured and would have played for us by now if he had been fit

I think he'll play v Holland in March.

22 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Mctominay, Mcginn,Gilmour, Cairney and Brown last night all receving a lot of praise, not a bad week for Scots in the prem so far this week. 

Christie was man of the match again tonight, his recent form since playing deeper has been incredible. If he can carry on putting in performances like he has  against top teams like Villa and Newcastle Clarke will have an interesting problem.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

7 minutes ago, stocky said:

Remember this time before the 2020 Euros, che hadn't declared for us 

I think Mr Barnes has been injured and would have played for us by now if he had been fit

I think he'll play v Holland in March.

I still think he left it too late. We were pretty much qualified when he declared.

Not saying I wouldnt take him but it's not the best situation for Clarke considering theres players who have earned us our tournament place.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Christie was man of the match again tonight, his recent form since playing deeper has been incredible. If he can carry on putting in performances like he has agaist top teams like Villa and Newcastle Clarke will have an interesting problem.

Is Christie playing a deep lying midfield role like gilmour or McGregor does for us?

OK after over 200 pro games this is what who scored think of Harvey Barnes

- Weaknesses

Holding on to the ball
Weak
Passing
Weak
Crossing
Weak
Defensive contribution
Weak

Ignoring the other weaknesses a middle of the road country like us who hope to compete with big boys needs 11 players who can contribute in defence.

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

OK after over 200 pro games this is what who scored think of Harvey Barnes

- Weaknesses

Holding on to the ball
Weak
Passing
Weak
Crossing
Weak
Defensive contribution
Weak

Ignoring the other weaknesses a middle of the road country like us who hope to compete with big boys needs 11 players who can contribute in defence.

Don't really care what that website says.

Also we need goals and a guy like Barnes offers a better chance at that.

Its pretty clear Barnes would be an improvement on our forward/winger options. Are you suggesting he wouldn't?

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Let's pray mctominay doesn't get injured for these euros. Guys on fire these days.

Hes probably our best chance at getting goals.

Week by week it’s going to be a nightmare just dreading news of an injury to our best players. We cannot afford to lose Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, McTomminay or McGinn if we want to really make an impact IMO

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

Week by week it’s going to be a nightmare just dreading news of an injury to our best players. We cannot afford to lose Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, McTomminay or McGinn if we want to really make an impact IMO

Yeh those guys being fit will greatly improve our chances of getting out the groups. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Don't really care what that website says.

Also we need goals and a guy like Barnes offers a better chance at that.

Its pretty clear Barnes would be an improvement on our forward/winger options. Are you suggesting he wouldn't?

So you don't care that a player can't pass the ball ,lose's it a lot and cant help clear your teams lines. I take it you just watch Match of the Day to make your judgements'

He's not a forward and when did we last play a winger.

We neeed more goals ? Pretty sure we were one of the higher scoring countries in qualification if you take the diiddy out of the six team groups

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So you don't care that a player can't pass the ball ,lose's it a lot and cant help clear your teams lines. I take it you just watch Match of the Day to make your judgements'

He's not a forward and when did we last play a winger.

We neeed more goals ? Pretty sure we were one of the higher scoring countries in qualification if you take the diiddy out of the six team groups

I don't trust some websites opinion.

Hes got 36 goals and 26 assists in 152 games in the epl. That tells me hes an attacking threat.

He scored 13 in 34 league games for a team that got relegated.

Have you actually watched some of his goals and assists or asked Leicester fans if they think hes a good player?

We could easily play him upfront. Hes a better goalscorer than any of our strikers.

Also we relied heavily on mctominay being on a purple patch for our goals. If that dries up then we are in trouble.

Scoring goals has historically been a problem for us. 

47 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't trust some websites opinion.

Hes got 36 goals and 26 assists in 152 games in the epl. That tells me hes an attacking threat.

He scored 13 in 34 league games for a team that got relegated.

Have you actually watched some of his goals and assists or asked Leicester fans if they think hes a good player?

We could easily play him upfront. Hes a better goalscorer than any of our strikers.

Also we relied heavily on mctominay being on a purple patch for our goals. If that dries up then we are in trouble.

Scoring goals has historically been a problem for us. 

Obviously we are lacking in the Centre Forward position but I honestly think we have goals in this team. We are scoring from midfield, we are dangerous from set pieces. 
I was hoping Ross Stewart would come into the Southampton team and start scoring but he’s picked up another injury, and will be out until January, so it’s very doubtful he’ll emerge and put a claim to be included in the squad now. That leaves Dykes, Adams and probably Shankland as our Centre Forwards. Personally I’d play Dykes as first choice, he has a new manager at QPR and he’s started scoring and playing well for them recently, so let’s hope that continues for the rest of the season. 
I think if the team is set up correctly, we will create chances and score. And I don’t think it’s in the attacking areas, centre forward position that is the key. It’s the partnership in central midfield, ie who plays alongside McGregor. If for example Hickey is played there, and the partnership works. That means we will line up something like 

Porteous Hendry Tierney

Patterson                   Robertson

McTominay Hickey McGregor

McGinn

Dykes

I think a team like this will create chances and score, even without a top Centre Forward. And it’ll be solid defensively.