Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 292 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

22 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I wonder if we might see him or Doak in the next squad, in Anderson’s place?  

Just some random feed but it suggested he wasn't that bothered and that he had Canada as back up to play in a world cup finals. 

Be interesting to see if Anderson is called up again or who replaces him in the squad. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just some random feed but it suggested he wasn't that bothered and that he had Canada as back up to play in a world cup finals. 

Be interesting to see if Anderson is called up again or who replaces him in the squad. 

He can’t play for Canada until after 2026 WC as I understand it.  2030 would be his first chance, by which time he’d be 34, and that’s assuming Canada qualified.  

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I really shouldn't pay attention to random feeds! It said 2025

Actually, seems it may be me that’s wrong.  I was sure it was five years residency but seems it’s currently permanently resident for three of the last five years. 

He went to Vancouver in July 2021, so maybe he’d be eligible by next summer?

23 hours ago, todd said:

Hopefully it means he was the best of a bad bunch, at least 🤔

He was, from what I saw. His range of passing was good and he was always trying to keep his team going.

The 6-1 final score is slightly deceiving; Villa were the better team but enjoyed one of those games where everything went right for them.

20 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Tierney just pulled up during a sprint. Subbed off, looks like a hamstring.

Shit. 🙁

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

I wonder if we might see him or Doak in the next squad, in Anderson’s place?  

Unlike Anderson, I'm sure Gauld would accept a call-up with both hands, but if he can't make the squad now when he's in the form he's in I doubt he ever will.

Doak isn't ready yet, imo. A couple of decent performances against an Austrian team and then a Championship team before being subbed off after an hour on both occasions - to my mind he has to do more than that to earn a call-up.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

He was, from what I saw. His range of passing was good and he was always trying to keep his team going.

The 6-1 final score is slightly deceiving; Villa were the better team but enjoyed one of those games where everything went right for them.

Shit. 🙁

Even from the highlights on motd, you could see that Gilmour was involved in a lot of play, it probably didn't help him that his midfield partner was an 18 year old making his Prem debut

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Doak isn't ready yet, imo. A couple of decent performances against an Austrian team and then a Championship team before being subbed off after an hour on both occasions - to my mind he has to do more than that to earn a call-up.

Liverpool supporters have been spoilt for international class players down the years so they know quality when they see it. When Doak came off V Leicester he received a standing ovation. Yes Leicester are a Championship side at present but they look sure to walk away with the title and return to the EPL. Besides there were hard seasoned pros playing for Liverpool match too against 'a Championship team' who did not receive the same adulation.

For what its worth I don't see Ben Doak being called up in the next squad on Wednesday and probably not for the following squad in November but should we qualify for the Euros I can see Clarke calling him up for the friendly matches in the build-up (hopefully for us) to the Euros and he'll be in the Euros squad if he continues getting games for Liverpool and impressing.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Liverpool supporters have been spoilt for international class players down the years so they know quality when they see it. When Doak came off V Leicester he received a standing ovation. Yes Leicester are a Championship side at present but they look sure to walk away with the title and return to the EPL. Besides there were hard seasoned pros playing for Liverpool match too against 'a Championship team' who did not receive the same adulation.

For what its worth I don't see Ben Doak being called up in the next squad on Wednesday and probably not for the following squad in November but should we qualify for the Euros I can see Clarke calling him up for the friendly matches in the build-up (hopefully for us) to the Euros and he'll be in the Euros squad if he continues getting games for Liverpool and impressing.

In my mind, he is going to be part of the 26 man Euros squad. Obviously that is massively jumping to conclusions. But if Clarke already has an inclination he might part of the finals squad, then the earlier he is training with the seniors the better.

I do think October could be a shade too early for him. But it would be amazing to have the first 17 year old capped for Scotland. Even if it is a 2min cameo. (He turns 18 in November)

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

In my mind, he is going to be part of the 26 man Euros squad. Obviously that is massively jumping to conclusions. But if Clarke already has an inclination he might part of the finals squad, then the earlier he is training with the seniors the better.

I do think October could be a shade too early for him. But it would be amazing to have the first 17 year old capped for Scotland. Even if it is a 2min cameo. (He turns 18 in November)

There is the chance he could name him in the squad and give him a run-out in the last 10 mins of the friendly against France. Everyone has to start somewhere so we shall see.

38 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is the chance he could name him in the squad and give him a run-out in the last 10 mins of the friendly against France. Everyone has to start somewhere so we shall see.

The only thing putting me off is giving him his debut in a game we might be losing. We would want him leaving his first camp in awe and wonder. Not in misery and despair. Obviously that's a bit dramatic, especially since it's a friendly, but that could influence Clarke's thinking.

Georgia would be a better debut if we have already qualified. He'll be 18 by then but he'd still have the honour of being our youngest ever cap.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Georgia would be a better debut if we have already qualified. He'll be 18 by then but he'd still have the honour of being our youngest ever cap.

It would only be a good game if we can introduce him when we are a couple of goals ahead. Even if we have qualified by then we must still go all out to win our remaining games as the higher points we finish with the better the seeding we will get so its vital we don't take our foot off the gas so to speak.

Ryan Gauld obviously having a successful season and I know a larger squad with him involved would be good, but by comparison and not a lot of people talking these guys up on here.

Andy Irving. Got a transfer to West Ham after a great start to the season, scored again at the weekend. 

Jordan Holsgrove. got a transfer to Olympiakos, despite sending off at the weekend is being rated as one of the  best  signings in the Portuguese top league so far for Estoril on loan, debatable that performance wise he is more successful than Gauld in Portugal.

5 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Ryan Gauld obviously having a successful season and I know a larger squad with him involved would be good, but by comparison and not a lot of people talking these guys up on here.

Andy Irving. Got a transfer to West Ham after a great start to the season, scored again at the weekend. 

Jordan Holsgrove. got a transfer to Olympiakos, despite sending off at the weekend is being rated as one of the  best  signings in the Portuguese top league so far for Estoril on loan, debatable that performance wise he is more successful than Gauld in Portugal.

The squad we have at present is one that has taken us on one of our best winning runs in competitive matches in our history. The logical question, therefore, would be who you would axe from the current squad to bring those players into the squad and what they'd bring to the squad over those you'd axe.

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The squad we have at present is one that has taken us on one of our best winning runs in competitive matches in our history. The logical question, therefore, would be who you would axe from the current squad to bring those players into the squad and what they'd bring to the squad over those you'd axe.

I guess for a start someone needs to come in to replace Anderson who was in last squad before pulling out

44 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anderson like someone said, but it is always worth having someone in incase of injuries, even if it is 5 or 10mins against France or the experience of being  away. 

On 10/1/2023 at 1:58 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

According to Fotmob, Ferguson got 8.3 for Bologna, was made captain and had an assist 👍

Hopefully he will get at least 45 minutes against France.

Really needs to get international experience under his belt. I would say he is probably the best player not in our starting eleven and the one we would need to cover any injuries in the midfield.

20 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'm not suggesting he isn't good - clearly he has something if he's playing for a club like Liverpool - but at the moment I don't think he's ready for a call-up yet. It's Spain and France we're playing in the next round of games; I could be wrong but I don't think many of their players play for Linz or Leicester City. People are building this kid up to be a superstar already but throwing him into competitive international football before he's ready could be disastrous for his development.

I doubt an older player would have received such a warm reaction after putting in a performance that was good but not great, and I doubt even Doak would have if it hadn't been a League Cup game.

Him getting first team exposure is great experience though and hopefully he'll be ready in the near future, but this next round of games is too soon, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Tierney missing is a massive blow. I still have nightmares about those Ireland and Ukraine games. 

I think that is Clarke's biggest task now. Working out how to play when Tierney isn't available. It's a bit ironic in that the problem used to be how to fit him and Robbo into the same team. 🤣

I'm all in favour of parking the bus in Spain. Not too fussy what happens in France, as it's only a friendly.