Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Might get game time this season if Newcastle can't keep Allan Saint-Maximin.

Granted Newcastle had already collapsed by the time he came on, he looked a bit lost in the system. Don't really think playing in the middle of the park suits his attributes. His best moment came when he did drift out wide and went close with one of his trademark cut inside from the left shots.
Think he'll struggle for gametime whilst Bruce plays this system. I think he'd play well as the RWB or alongside Wilson but he's not going to displace Jacob Murphy or Saint-Maximin respectively. So yeah, I'd agree his best chance of gametime is if Saint-Maximin left or they change system and start playing with wingers.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Goal for Stephen Welsh against Hearts, not watching  the game but is that the sort of thing we can expect?

I'd say so. He could have scored 3 headers today. Welsh looks a new player this year. Full of confidence and putting in solid challenges in defence as well. Might be an outside bet for breaking into the Scotland squad, though I do think Souttar has started the season brilliantly as well.

44 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd say so. He could have scored 3 headers today. Welsh looks a new player this year. Full of confidence and putting in solid challenges in defence as well. Might be an outside bet for breaking into the Scotland squad, though I do think Souttar has started the season brilliantly as well.

Looking at the Euro's squad I would be surprised if Gallagher get's picked again and Mckenna continues to be "promising"

If Tierney is picked as a left back there will be at least one spot available maybe two.

31 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Looking at the Euro's squad I would be surprised if Gallagher get's picked again and Mckenna continues to be "promising"

If Tierney is picked as a left back there will be at least one spot available maybe two.

Yeah, as good as Gallagher was in the build up to the Euros, I think his time has come and gone. Same goes for Fleck.

I wouldn't write McKenna off just yet. Cooper and Hanley are Premier league captains. But a few years ago neither could get near the first team. CBs almost always take longer to fulfil their potential than most other positions. Goalkeeper being the other. Saying all that, I like McKenna anyway, and so do the Forest fans, apparently.

It'll be a toss up between Souttar and Welsh for Gallagher's spot.

Edited by Tartan blood

On 8/15/2021 at 1:22 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

Have you ever rated Cooper? serious question.

I rated him in the championship but I'm afraid he has been found out in the EPL . Bielsa seems to like him so I think he will get picked regularly.   Could be Leeds downfall 

23 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Hahaha That would be some story. A footballer changing sports. I'm sure he'd do well in the 400m or something like that. The commonwealth games are just around the corner.

You get the impression with Oli Burke that someone saw him when he was younger and thought: big lad, runs like the clappers, now all we need to do is teach him how to play football...

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You get the impression with Oli Burke that someone saw him when he was younger and thought: big lad, runs like the clappers, now all we need to do is teach him how to play football...

and then forget to do the latter part.

17 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, as good as Gallagher was in the build up to the Euros, I think his time has come and gone. Same goes for Fleck.

I wouldn't write McKenna off just yet. Cooper and Hanley are Premier league captains. But a few years ago neither could get near the first team. CBs almost always take longer to fulfil their potential than most other positions. Goalkeeper being the other. Saying all that, I like McKenna anyway, and so do the Forest fans, apparently.

It'll be a toss up between Souttar and Welsh for Gallagher's spot.

You do realise that we have an under 21 squad? Why not test Welsh at that level first, as we did with Porteous? With regard to the latter I think he has potential still but he is still too rash in the tackle for international football.

Souttar is more a direct competitor for Hendry's position, as he is a right-sided defender who likes to bring the ball out from the back, which Clarke likes. Not sure if we have an heir apparent for Gallagher just yet though.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You do realise that we have an under 21 squad? Why not test Welsh at that level first, as we did with Porteous? With regard to the latter I think he has potential still but he is still too rash in the tackle for international football.

Souttar is more a direct competitor for Hendry's position, as he is a right-sided defender who likes to bring the ball out from the back, which Clarke likes. Not sure if we have an heir apparent for Gallagher just yet though.

A quick google search indicates Welsh has never played for the u21s, which I'm quite surprised by. Though saying that, even when he was playing regularly last year, he didn't look anything special. But this year he looks a different player. And SPFL football is surely a better test than the Scottish u21s. He's proved he is capable at that level already, despite not playing.

I do think I'd have Souttar first due to the fact he already has Scotland caps, but I'd not discount any players based on how young they are or how much experience they have.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

A quick google search indicates Welsh has never played for the u21s, which I'm quite surprised by. Though saying that, even when he was playing regularly last year, he didn't look anything special. But this year he looks a different player. And SPFL football is surely a better test than the Scottish u21s. He's proved he is capable at that level already, despite not playing.

I do think I'd have Souttar first due to the fact he already has Scotland caps, but I'd not discount any players based on how young they are or how much experience they have.

I thought Welsh played in one of the friendlies against Northern Ireland U21s at the end of last season.  🤔

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Makes you wonder about the way our U21's are managed.

The player turn over should be  lot greater, towards the end of their last qualification campaign more of the players were over 21 than under 21.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

A quick google search indicates Welsh has never played for the u21s, which I'm quite surprised by.

You'll be getting your Google privileges revoked then, as he played in the NI games:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-under-21s-edge-northern-ireland-in-five-goal-friendly-clash/?rid=4413

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Makes you wonder about the way our U21's are managed.

The player turn over should be  lot greater, towards the end of their last qualification campaign more of the players were over 21 than under 21.

Very true. Where is the benefit of a, say, 23 year old SPFL regular playing for Scotland u21s? 

David Turnbull wasn't even getting off the bench for the u21s and then got fast tracked to the senior Euros squad. There is blatant incompetence somewhere along the line.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

There was a Scotland under 21 centre back in the championship team of the week Tom Mcintyre of Reading on whoscored, on twitter the fans seem to love him some comments include the Reading Maldini although I cannot say I have ever seen him play. 

Pity he was playing left back! has played as a holding midfielder too so must be a pretty good all round player.

He's been pretty highly rated for a few seasons by Reading and someone on here said that Reading try to protect their young assets hence the lack of game time.

George Johnston and Ross McCrorie kept him on the bench for the under 21's I think.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pity he was playing left back! has played as a holding midfielder too so must be a pretty good all round player.

He's been pretty highly rated for a few seasons by Reading and someone on here said that Reading try to protect their young assets hence the lack of game time.

George Johnston and Ross McCrorie kept him on the bench for the under 21's I think.

I looked into him further, played the game before at CB and pre season CDM, seems Reading do not have a LB at the moment other than youth so he covers LB but would be a starter at CB if he did not have to cover there.

Also just checked on how Johnston was getting on first couple if games at Bolton apparently also really impressed. Bolton apparently have a bit of money again and he was a main target to get them up after impressing at Wigan last season. 

11 minutes ago, syecosse said:

I looked into him further, played the game before at CB and pre season CDM, seems Reading do not have a LB at the moment other than youth so he covers LB but would be a starter at CB if he did not have to cover there.

Also just checked on how Johnston was getting on first couple if games at Bolton apparently also really impressed. Bolton apparently have a bit of money again and he was a main target to get them up after impressing at Wigan last season. 

Think Wigan played Johnston as a left back once or twice as well.

Must be a policy of every team with an inured left back to just go"ach just stick the Scottish guy out there"

Still both young enough any way.

At times like this I wish there were still competitive under 23 internationals on the go.