Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Great result for St johnstone tonight. They have relatively young centre backs, I wonder if they are any good as St johnstone have done quite well recently. Could they potentially be international standard? 

Kerr impressed me a lot last season. I reckon he could step up a level

13 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Kerr impressed me a lot last season. I reckon he could step up a level

Not seen much of him so wouldn't know, 24 is still quite young for a cb, this season will be a good chance for him improve some more before making a move to a better league or club, no offence to saints. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not seen much of him so wouldn't know, 24 is still quite young for a cb, this season will be a good chance for him improve some more before making a move to a better league or club, no offence to saints. 

We are - or were - short on right centre backs but now we have Hendry, Hanley and McTom. if we are desperate. But agree Kerr can now be added to that pool. 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We are - or were - short on right centre backs but now we have Hendry, Hanley and McTom. if we are desperate. But agree Kerr can now be added to that pool. 

Well tbf hendry and Hanley are hardly the standard we should be aspiring to and McTominay isn't really a centre back. My hope is that perhaps this jason kerr can turn into the genuinely class centre back we need and go onto play for a decent epl team or maybe the other St johnstone Centre backs could maybe do similar as they are both quite young as well.

In general we are short on excellent centre backs and it has been one of our main problems for about 10 years now. 

47 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well tbf hendry and Hanley are hardly the standard we should be aspiring to and McTominay isn't really a centre back. My hope is that perhaps this jason kerr can turn into the genuinely class centre back we need and go onto play for a decent epl team or maybe the other St johnstone Centre backs could maybe do similar as they are both quite young as well.

In general we are short on excellent centre backs and it has been one of our main problems for about 10 years now. 

A bit harsh on Hanley after his player of the tournament performance at the Euros. I'm not saying he is world class or anything like that, but he is a more than capable international player. We went from struggling to scrape 2 half decent CBs together to having a pool of 5 or 6 to choose from of similar standard. 

I'm much more worried about our long term goalkeeper and striker options. We need to end the striker curse pronto! 

14 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

A bit harsh on Hanley after his player of the tournament performance at the Euros. I'm not saying he is world class or anything like that, but he is a more than capable international player. We went from struggling to scrape 2 half decent CBs together to having a pool of 5 or 6 to choose from of similar standard. 

I'm much more worried about our long term goalkeeper and striker options. We need to end the striker curse pronto! 

Yeh I have defended Hanley on here a fair bit but truth is we need a couple of genuine epl quality centre backs. Hanley has looked decent recently and we have a pool of 5 or 6 centre backs who are of similar standard but theres no point in having 5 or 6 average defenders if we want to qualify for the world cup or get out the groups of the euros.

For the record I reckon Hanley will do quite well this season in the EPL and I reckon he will be a solid option for us over the next 3 or 4 years but we should be aspiring for slightly better than a guy who has mostly struggled at epl level.

14 hours ago, csinclair said:

Says it all when McKenna was highly rated and he's done nothing since moving to Forest.

Yeh mckennas not done much since he's moved but I think Forest are have been quite poor plus he's been injured a fair bit. This season is a big one for him, if he plays really well this season then he could get a move to an epl outfit. At 24 hes still quite young for a centre back. 

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh mckennas not done much since he's moved but I think Forest are have been quite poor plus he's been injured a fair bit. This season is a big one for him, if he plays really well this season then he could get a move to an epl outfit. At 24 hes still quite young for a centre back. 

I'm interested to see how he does this year compared to Michael Rose who had a good season at that level last season and is a similar age but doesn't seem to ever get mentioned with regards to callups

4 minutes ago, csinclair said:

I'm interested to see how he does this year compared to Michael Rose who had a good season at that level last season and is a similar age but doesn't seem to ever get mentioned with regards to callups

Well Michael rose only played 18 times last season and before that he had only ever played English league 1 and Scottish championship. If he plays well this season then fair enough he should be considered but there is currently a few guys ahead of him who merit a squad place. 

With the Championship kicking off I had a look at Scots playing in that division a few more than I expected to keep your eye on 

Blackburn...McBride(s) Gallagher (s)

Preston.....Lindsay(D) Coulton(D)

Hull.....Docherty(M)

Huddersfield....Rhodes(s)

Stoke....Fletcher(s) Hemfrey(k) Macari(D)

Sheffield Utd....Fleck(m) Mcburnie(s) Burke(s/w)

Nott m Forest....Mckenna(D) Hogarth(K)

Derby...Marshall(K), Forsyth(D) Shinnie(D) Stretton(F)

West Brom....Phillips(W) Snodgrass(w) Joshua(D) Lamb(m)

Coventry....Rose(D) kelly(m) Reid(d)j.Burroghs(m) Hyam(d)G burroghs(d)

Peterborough....Dembele(w) Hamilton(m)

Luton....Naismith(w) Campbell(m)

Swansea....Fulton(m) joseph(s)

Cardiff....Bagan(d)

Bristol....Martin(s)

Reading....Mcintyre(d) Mcnulty(s)

Bournemouth...Camp(D)

Fulham....Cairney(m) Mcavoy(d) Bowat(d) Bowie(s)

Millwall....Wallace(d)

QPR.....Wallace(d) Dykes(s) Archer(k) Kane(d)

A fee retirees and players that may never be seen again, but a few guys that I have never heard of in there, hopefully a few players really develop further like Mcintyre and Jopesph for example.

A few worth keeping an eye on in League 1  a few promising youngsters on loan there Fiorini, McPake, Pressley and Mebude 

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

With the Championship kicking off I had a look at Scots playing in that division a few more than I expected to keep your eye on 

Blackburn...McBride(s) Gallagher (s)

Preston.....Lindsay(D) Coulton(D)

Hull.....Docherty(M)

Huddersfield....Rhodes(s)

Stoke....Fletcher(s) Hemfrey(k) Macari(D)

Sheffield Utd....Fleck(m) Mcburnie(s) Burke(s/w)

Nott m Forest....Mckenna(D) Hogarth(K)

Derby...Marshall(K), Forsyth(D) Shinnie(D) Stretton(F)

West Brom....Phillips(W) Snodgrass(w) Joshua(D) Lamb(m)

Coventry....Rose(D) kelly(m) Reid(d)j.Burroghs(m) Hyam(d)G burroghs(d)

Peterborough....Dembele(w) Hamilton(m)

Luton....Naismith(w) Campbell(m)

Swansea....Fulton(m) joseph(s)

Cardiff....Bagan(d)

Bristol....Martin(s)

Reading....Mcintyre(d) Mcnulty(s)

Bournemouth...Camp(D)

Fulham....Cairney(m) Mcavoy(d) Bowat(d) Bowie(s)

Millwall....Wallace(d)

QPR.....Wallace(d) Dykes(s) Archer(k) Kane(d)

A fee retirees and players that may never be seen again, but a few guys that I have never heard of in there, hopefully a few players really develop further like Mcintyre and Jopesph for example.

A few worth keeping an eye on in League 1  a few promising youngsters on loan there Fiorini, McPake, Pressley and Mebude 

Great list. England really is riddled with Scots. The SPFL would look far stronger if the majority of them had stayed in Scotland.

I'm sure there are a decent amount in the EPL this year as well. Though we lost a few through Sheffield Utd's relegation.

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Great list. England really is riddled with Scots. The SPFL would look far stronger if the majority of them had stayed in Scotland.

I'm sure there are a decent amount in the EPL this year as well. Though we lost a few through Sheffield Utd's relegation.

Just also looked at tonight's game if I remember Mowatt is eligible, although there are probably many more eligible, Camp makes Bournemouths bench tonight young centre back. 

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Steady on. Last season he mostly was not on the bench even.

I was only being half serious 😋. I'm just greedy. Realistically, I didn't think he'd start any games for the first month. I'm sure he'll get plenty of game time as the season progresses. But it does hinder his chances of becoming a first 11 player for Scotland in the short term.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Shankland left out today. Must be because his Belgium move is imminent. Don't know how I feel about this; could be the making of him, could also be his ruination.

Commentator said he has a hip injury