Countdown to Euros - The wait is nearly over....! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Countdown to Euros - The wait is nearly over....!

gkm_vancouver

After a generational long wait - 5 years longer than the life of this forum - we're about to take part in our first tourney for 23 years. Opening game in 4 weeks, our first tourney game in just under a month, squad announcement next week, arrangements being made for meeting up for the London games and bookings in pubs, taking time off work,  Tambers expectantly waiting to hear if they will get the lucky few tickets, Tam and Stuart giving it plenty on Off the Ball, the excitement is going to build up to that magic feeling we used to have  in the 1970s, 80s and 90s, it's what we've all been waiting for 😃 😃   🍻 🍻 

Like a lot of others on this forum I'm old enough to remember the feeling when we played in the World Cups and which will be coming back over the next month and I'm damn sure going to enjoy it.

Looking forward to reading some of the stories this campaign is surely going to yield with Tambers  having that unique Tartan Army experience.

28 days to go, let the build up begin :spin: :bouncy: :beer2:

Oh yes GKM, I am getting very excited. I've been buying up bunting and Scotland flags to decorate the house and have marked next Monday to do the decorating. I've made a EURO playlist to share with everyone on YouTube, I put it on now and again to get into the mood. 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRHhShxf10W3tUPkNm46rrnbWnFYumfhs

Anything can happen but for right now, it's non-stop excitement that will only build from here.

Clarke, if your reading let me just say from the bottom of my heart Thank-you. McLeish also deserves thanks along with all of the staff and players. 

2 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

After a generational long wait - 5 years longer than the life of this forum - we're about to take part in our first tourney for 23 years. Opening game in 4 weeks, our first tourney game in just under a month, squad announcement next week, arrangements being made for meeting up for the London games and bookings in pubs, taking time off work,  Tambers expectantly waiting to hear if they will get the lucky few tickets, Tam and Stuart giving it plenty on Off the Ball, the excitement is going to build up to that magic feeling we used to have  in the 1970s, 80s and 90s, it's what we've all been waiting for 😃 😃   🍻 🍻 

Like a lot of others on this forum I'm old enough to remember the feeling when we played in the World Cups and which will be coming back over the next month and I'm damn sure going to enjoy it.

Looking forward to reading some of the stories this campaign is surely going to yield with Tambers  having that unique Tartan Army experience.

28 days to go, let the build up begin :spin: :bouncy: :beer2:

I can't wait for the domestic leagues to hurry up and finish so we can fully focus on Scotland. 

International tournaments are the pinnacle of sporting entertainment, in my opinion. Club football, and even the champions leagues, can get a bit repetitive. I see them almost as preparation for internationals. Auditions, if you will. And the elite players that represent us finally get to rub shoulders with the best in Europe! We deserve it and I'm super excited to finally experience this feeling as an adult. (I was 10 in 1998)

48 minutes ago, Flipping eck said:

Where can I also watch that? 

There is a new one due out on May 27th called King Otto about Otto Rehhagel which looks absolutely superb.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/piece-of-magic-unveils-king-otto-documentary-about-greeces-shock-euro-2004-victory-exclusive/5147255.article

I just watched this one which was a Eurosport effort - wasn’t great.

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Oh yes GKM, I am getting very excited. I've been buying up bunting and Scotland flags to decorate the house and have marked next Monday to do the decorating. I've made a EURO playlist to share with everyone on YouTube, I put it on now and again to get into the mood. 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRHhShxf10W3tUPkNm46rrnbWnFYumfhs

Anything can happen but for right now, it's non-stop excitement that will only build from here.

Clarke, if your reading let me just say from the bottom of my heart Thank-you. McLeish also deserves thanks along with all of the staff and players. 

Brilliant,  just the job to fill the evenings over the next month. In fact might use it for an exercise target of losing weight for the kickoff. After all you want to look your best for the big occasion don't you 🙂🙃

I don't think the lack of fans is going to deter my enthusiasm. I mean, watching football with no fans fans is the new normal.

It's now 30 days till we play the Czechs and I'm definitely feeling it.

I don't remember much of the build up to Euro 96 (I remember the games like they were yesterday) but I do remember France 98. I was so nervous pre-match against Brazil that I was in the bathroom for about 2 hours. And with good cause, we were up against peak Ronaldo and Rivaldo.

I am nervous this time around, but this England team arent a patch on their Euro 96 side.

Against the Czechs we're unbeaten in four. We have an unbeaten record against Croatia, in five. If we maintain those records and get something against England, we can get to round 2.

Lyndon Dykes has been the find of the past decade, but I wish we had a plan B... Someone with pace and a good finish. 

Absolutely hyper now, since email about tickets yesterday its just making it more real.

I didn’t get to 98, was just out of college a d couldn’t afford it, said ‘I’ll go to the next on’ as all the boys headed off for 3 weeks. Never thought 23 years later would be the next one, following through all the crap and close calls of that time.

What makes it more real for me is I live in Northern Ireland and due to the shit show of the last year I’ve not seen my parents since December 19, not been in Scotland or seen the boys I go to games with for 17 months since a weekend in Edinburgh in January last year. Thankfully their lifting the travel ban to mainland from next week so all set to go. Just hoping now the issues in Glasgow level of over the next week or so and it all goes ok.

I know for one I’ll be an emotional wreck 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I don't think the lack of fans is going to deter my enthusiasm. I mean, watching football with no fans fans is the new normal.

It's now 30 days till we play the Czechs and I'm definitely feeling it.

I don't remember much of the build up to Euro 96 (I remember the games like they were yesterday) but I do remember France 98. I was so nervous pre-match against Brazil that I was in the bathroom for about 2 hours. And with good cause, we were up against peak Ronaldo and Rivaldo.

I am nervous this time around, but this England team arent a patch on their Euro 96 side.

Against the Czechs we're unbeaten in four. We have an unbeaten record against Croatia, in five. If we maintain those records and get something against England, we can get to round 2.

Lyndon Dykes has been the find of the past decade, but I wish we had a plan B... Someone with pace and a good finish. 

Football with no fans will never be normal,not for me anyway.Horrible experience.

The FA Cup final with their limited attendant was decent, does anyone know if they had dumb and unscientific restriction to remain silent?

On another note, I haven't seen this mentioned on the site, some of of you may enjoy it - https://www.ignitionsportsmedia.com/collections/scotland/products/the-long-road-back

I ordered my copy two weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

The FA Cup final with their limited attendant was decent, does anyone know if they had dumb and unscientific restriction to remain silent?

On another note, I haven't seen this mentioned on the site, some of of you may enjoy it - https://www.ignitionsportsmedia.com/collections/scotland/products/the-long-road-back

I ordered my copy two weeks ago.

The FA cup final was a test event. I’m pretty sure you could only attend if you had a recent negative Covid test so the rules would have been different from the rules at Euro matches. This was the case at the snooker world championship final so I assume the FA cup final was the same. 

I.made this week shrine in the hoose today, there are question marks if the Sloth is a true Scot.or not but we are just going to take his word for it.

The bunting and flags are all up, I need to find a wall chart from somewhere.

PXL_20210516_212722424.jpg

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I.made this week shrine in the hoose today, there are question marks if the Sloth is a true Scot.or not but we are just going to take his word for it.

You know our first game isn’t for 4 weeks don’t you?

Are you the type of guys that puts his Christmas tree up in October? 😂

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Cool.

I was fishing out my Scotland tops last week. Was wearing the "salmon" one a few days ago.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I'm well aware but this is our first tournament in 23 years so I am going to enjoy it as much as possible. We have two pre-tournie games in two weeks time and the squad announced in a matter of days, it will be here and gone before we know it, I don't want to have any regrets. 

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I'm well aware but this is our first tournament in 23 years so I am going to enjoy it as much as possible. We have two pre-tournie games in two weeks time and the squad announced in a matter of days, it will be here and gone before we know it, I don't want to have any regrets. 

Fair play mate. I don’t think I’ll be getting excited until about a week before our first game.

Pre-tournament friendlies always used to bore me as I just wanted the tournament to start. I was a lot younger in those days right enough so I might be different this time. 

42 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

34 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Likewise :ok:. BBC have started advertising, could do with Esso putting a player collection together. Not to mention a year away from games and largely in lockdown. Got to savour every aspect over the next month. 

10 hours ago, romanticscot said:

You won't be able to see the TV with all that shit hanging on it. Mind you, sometimes that's the best way to watch Scotland games. :lol:

It's ironic, the time we do qualify, it's when we have the worst Scotland top in decades.

Maybe the qualification is karma making up for the Frankenstein's Monster Strip (It looks like it was sewn up using material from three tops).

Though, to be fair, the last good strip we had was probably 98. Then it fell off a cliff.

Edited by Taylor1996

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You won't be able to see the TV with all that shit hanging on it. Mind you, sometimes that's the best way to watch Scotland games. :lol:

The kits are on a plastic frame from a kids game its about 4ft in height, the TV is out of the picture.