Knocking on the door of the squad? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Knocking on the door of the squad?

andyD

Looking thru tho'w available and who's not.. and trying to figure out what the squad might look like and who might have an opportunity to get into it.

Best guess right now:
Marshall, McLaughlin, McCrorie
Palmer, O'Donnell, Robertson, Taylor, McKenna, Findlay, Hanley, Halkett/Gallagher
McTominay, Fleck, Gilmour, McGregor, Christie, Forrest, Fraser, Dembélé?
Griffiths, McBurnie, Stewart

Marshall and McLaughlin seem certs of 2 of the keeper slots, both playing regularly. But MacGillivray has been dropped and Bain and Gordon are both bench players for Celtic now. Archer not getting games, Kelly in and out at QPR. So seems like an opportunity for a spot. McCrorie doing ok at Livi, on loan from Rangers. Seems like a sensible call up to me, tho he's unlikely to get on the pitch at all.

Tierney's almost fit, but probably best to let him get back 100%. Still few options at right back.

Centerback has vacancies with Souttar out and Mulgrew not playing. Hanley's playing and captaining Norwich, Findlay did ok previously and Halkett has been getting decent reviews for a while. Gallagher could well keep his place tho.

McGinn is targetting the last Villa game before the playoffs, but it'd be super risky to call him up imo. No sense in risking another injury. Gilmour seems likely to be in the squad given Clarke was at the Liverpool game. Johnston out injured sadly else I think he'd be in. Burke seemingly ill. Hastie not gettting a look in at Rangers. GMS, Russell and Murphy all over in the MLS now, a long way to come and the season only just starting. The left-field choice is Dembélé.. Siriki Dembélé that is. Playing at Peterborough in league one, but in his last 8 games he's got 4 goals and 7 assists. Was always quick, but seems like he's found some composure now too, still only 23. Might be worth a look in the absense of a lot of the usual names.

Griffiths is back playing regular football whcih is great. McBurnie causing trouble up top in the premier league. But after that.. not a lot. Shankland on a dry spell by his standards. Fletch still not involved it seems. Naismith still in and out with injuries and not scored in a month. Martin in and out for Derby. Rhodes not involved at Wednesday. Harper not scored all season. So.. Ross Stewart? Should be back in this week or next, has scored a few goals this season and his height could be useful in both boxes. Brophy is the more likely, but I've seen nothing to suggest he can cut it at international level.

Any more for any more?

Edited by andyD

1 hour ago, andyD said:

. Siriki Dembélé that is. Playing at Peterborough in league one, but in his last 8 games he's got 4 goals and 7 assists. Was always quick, but seems like he's found some composure now too, still only 23. Might be worth a look in the absense of a lot of the usual names.

Forgotten all about Dembele it appears though that he has been playing up front as part of a 3-5-2 formation and doing rather well.

Liam Kelly has started every game since the turn of the year and will hopefully be in the squad.

You missed out Liam Cooper who will probably start against Israel.

Some interesting choices.

I didn't think Kelly was in and out.  He had an injury but regular first choice now isn't he? McGinn's due back much sooner isn't he? McKenna's out as well.  As mentioned Cooper will be in and you can't leave Naismith out. He's been dropping back more so Hearts aren't so reliant on his goals. So, I'd go with,

Kelly, Marshall and McLaughlin

Palmer, Jack, Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Findlay, Robertson, Taylor

McTominay, Fleck, McGregor, Forrest, Christie, Fraser, Gilmour, Armstrong, McGinn

Griffiths, Naismith, McBurnie

Assuming Tierney and Burke are out. As mentioned elsewhere I'd have Jack as the replacement right back.

Edited by SkyBlueScot
Spelling

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Jack at right back, no thanks. Hes a midfielder who barely or never plays at right back.

Palmer will play at right back unless he gets injured between now and the Israel game. 

I’m not sure why people are still touting Jack for RB. I don’t think Gerrard has used him once in that position so the last time he played there was against Holland at Pittodrie.

No chance Clarke will play him there. 

A lot of people getting carried away about Palmers ability on the basis of a couple of reasonable performances for Scotland against very weak opposition.

I wouldn't even call him a good championship player. he's just as likely to play left back as right back there. I 'd just a soon give the gig to Greg Taylor.

Callum Paterson is well under rated on here.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Palmer will play at right back unless he gets injured between now and the Israel game. 

I’m not sure why people are still touting Jack for RB. I don’t think Gerrard has used him once in that position so the last time he played there was against Holland at Pittodrie.

No chance Clarke will play him there. 

I'm not touting him as right back. I'm touting him as back-up right back. I am aware that Clarke played him there in a recent training sessions but he was then injured for that game so it's at least on Clarke's radar.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A lot of people getting carried away about Palmers ability on the basis of a couple of reasonable performances for Scotland against very weak opposition.

I wouldn't even call him a good championship player. he's just as likely to play left back as right back there. I 'd just a soon give the gig to Greg Taylor.

I'm certainly not getting carried away with Palmer. He's a pretty mediocre right back. He's probably on the same level as O'Donnell but I don't think it makes any difference.

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If you’re referring to what I said  then I am certainly not getting carried away about Palmer. I’m just certain Clarke will start him against Israel and I don’t think Jack should be anywhere near RB.

I was Palmer’s biggest critic on here after his first couple of appearances but he seems to have settled down. 

If you weren’t referring to me, carry on. 

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I'm not touting him as right back. I'm touting him as back-up right back. I am aware that Clarke played him there in a recent training sessions but he was then injured for that game so it's at least on Clarke's radar.

That's interesting, not sure he would be great getting forward, but would offer a bit more steel to the back four.

Seems to be another possibility that posters put a line through based on were he is currently playing club football.

My personal opinion on our two recognised right backs is that I would just as soon have Forrest or Phillips play there. Neither of them can defend? nor can Palmer or O'Donnell.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

If you’re referring to what I said  then I am certainly not getting carried away about Palmer. I’m just certain Clarke will start him against Israel and I don’t think Jack should be anywhere near RB.

I was Palmer’s biggest critic on here after his first couple of appearances but he seems to have settled down. 

If you weren’t referring to me, carry on. 

Not directed at you in particular more the general consensus that Palmer must play.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not directed at you in particular more the general consensus that Palmer must play.

I don’t think that he must play but he has started our last 4 games and has played pretty well in most of them so I think it’s certain that he will play. 

O’Donnell was on the bench for all 4 of our last games so it’s not as if Clarke was only playing Palmer because if injuries or something. It looks like he prefers Palmer to O’Donnell.

I will be pretty surprised if Palmer doesn’t start against Israel.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Checked on my beloved who scored site to see how often he has played, found out that according to them his having a tremendous season.

Think he has said no at some point 

Don't recall ever hearing that

16 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Forgotten all about Dembele it appears though that he has been playing up front as part of a 3-5-2 formation and doing rather well.

If you've heard Dembele speak he sounds exactly as someone who is eligible for both Scotland and England should.

I'd have the St Johnston keeper in the squad ahead of most of those others mentioned.  I like the look of Halkett but at the same time Hearts have been honking defensively so I'm not sure now is the time to bring him in.  How's Danny Wilson doing out in Colorado....?

24 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd have the St Johnston keeper in the squad ahead of most of those others mentioned.  I like the look of Halkett but at the same time Hearts have been honking defensively so I'm not sure now is the time to bring him in.  How's Danny Wilson doing out in Colorado....?

The MLS season began last Saturday......and he didnt feature

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

If you've heard Dembele speak he sounds exactly as someone who is eligible for both Scotland and England should.

Siriki Dembélé not Karamoko Dembele at Celtic, not sure the former has been seen as good enough to dispute his nationality😜

Be interesting to see if he is any good should he get to play in the championship

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Siriki Dembélé not Karamoko Dembele at Celtic, not sure the former has been seen as good enough to dispute his nationality😜

Be interesting to see if he is any good should he get to play in the championship

I know, it's Siriki I'm talking about.  Karamoko just sounds like a wee weegie, which is what he is.

26 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I thought the eldest brother said he'd prefer the Ivory Coast (only eligible for them and Scotland?), Middle brother England (and eligible for all three) and there's one more isn't there? Think he's only eligible for Ivory Coast and Scotland.