Knocking on the door of the squad? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Knocking on the door of the squad?

andyD

53 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I would have naismith ahead of Griffiths. With one man up top we need more than just a finisher. 

First of all, Griffiths is a hell of a lot more than just a finisher. His link up play, passing and set piece delivery are all big assets to us.

Secondly, we most certainly do need a finisher, more than anything. Our midfield is bursting at the seams with quality. All we need is a man at the top to finish. So, even if that was all Griffiths was good at (it's not) then it would still be worth playing him ahead of everyone else.

No disrespect to Naismith, I think his movement is phenomenal, and if Griff isn't available then I'd choose him next.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Surely a call up for Brophy ?

At least he's scoring some goals.

Would agree, should be in the squad. 

I still think Tony Watt will get more caps at some stage. I’m prepared for the slating I may get for thinking that though. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Would agree, should be in the squad. 

I still think Tony Watt will get more caps at some stage. I’m prepared for the slating I may get for thinking that though. 

With regards Watt, he's twenty six now and maybe, just maybe, it's suddenly hit him that he's wasted so much valuable time when he could have been right at the top. This is his last chance to achieve anything. I hope that is the case.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

First of all, Griffiths is a hell of a lot more than just a finisher. His link up play, passing and set piece delivery are all big assets to us.

Secondly, we most certainly do need a finisher, more than anything. Our midfield is bursting at the seams with quality. All we need is a man at the top to finish. So, even if that was all Griffiths was good at (it's not) then it would still be worth playing him ahead of everyone else.

No disrespect to Naismith, I think his movement is phenomenal, and if Griff isn't available then I'd choose him next.

I didn't mean for those 2 sentences to be  linked. I would be happy with either griffiths or naismith up top, but we need more than just a brophy or stewart. What is stewart even good at? Baffled by his inclusion. 

4 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I didn't mean for those 2 sentences to be  linked. I would be happy with either griffiths or naismith up top, but we need more than just a brophy or stewart. What is stewart even good at? Baffled by his inclusion. 

Ah, I see.

Yeah, I agree. Our 3 main strikers should be Griffiths, Naismith and McBurnie. Do we really need more than them in a typical squad? Especially since we'll be playing 1 up top and have many attacking mids that could easily play up front in an emergency e.g Christie or Burke.

I'd have suggested Shankland if he had been smart and left Dundee Utd in the Winter window.

34 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Ah, I see.

Yeah, I agree. Our 3 main strikers should be Griffiths, Naismith and McBurnie. Do we really need more than them in a typical squad? Especially since we'll be playing 1 up top and have many attacking mids that could easily play up front in an emergency e.g Christie or Burke.

I'd have suggested Shankland if he had been smart and left Dundee Utd in the Winter window.

Naismith is pants, auld and playing for a team who are pish.

Would rather have Shankland. 

Lyndon Dykes defo should be in. brophy not up to it but may in future. griffiths relying on past glories at this time. defense is scaring me but i feel it will be hanley and cooper. i see gallagher every week at motherwell and feel he could maybe play right back in a 4 as he has played on the right of our 3 man defense on a few occassions. Im not saying he could but hed be as gd as odonnell anyway.

2 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

To be fair I think McBurnie is actually beyond rotten at this point. Dykes looks a real physical threat and danger to defenders. But I've accepted my opinion on football players is null and void versus the professional gaffers nowadays

You just say what you see, like a lot of us you can't see everything 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You just say what you see, like a lot of us you can't see everything 

I'll give you that. I'm not sure if anyone has seen McBurnie being worth of a call up, nevermind a start, nevermind a 20mil transfer fee. I understand with Dykes we were seeing who he was going to play for internationally, and I feel we'd be taking him much more seriously if he wasn't playing for Livingston is all. I wouldn't have either of them starting for us in any circumstances

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Ah, I see.

Wanting to be loyal to a club and see them promoted is not a foolish decision, He is getting call ups so its not hurting his international career currently.  Maybe the money will come in the summer and he will be off, but if not he will be in Scotland's top flight so that's another level to test himself.  

Edited by romanticscot

11 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'll give you that. I'm not sure if anyone has seen McBurnie being worth of a call up, nevermind a start, nevermind a 20mil transfer fee. I understand with Dykes we were seeing who he was going to play for internationally, and I feel we'd be taking him much more seriously if he wasn't playing for Livingston is all. I wouldn't have either of them starting for us in any circumstances

Sheffield UTD fans have seen him a lot and would be prettying impressed if Scotland had a better striker in SPL.

12 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

There are some mental ideas on players within the Scotland support. 

Indeed. But on a serious note, you've got to think that Niemi must be on the verge of his first call-up now considering our goalkeeper situation. 

Been impressed with Scott Fraser at Burton this season. Good number of goals and assists for them in league one. Can't remember how rated he was at Dundee United.

Well down the pecking order currently but wonder if he could be the next Fleck and move up the leagues if he gets picked up by someone decent in the championship?

Still 24 so has time on his side.

On 3/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry , assumed you meant Karamoko when you mentioned eligible for both.

If Siriki isn’t eligible for England but Karamoko is then it’s quite ironic because their accents suggest the opposite.