Am kinda scared of Brexit now - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Am kinda scared of Brexit now

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Because it was already over the minimum unit price.   Buckfast is only slightly more alcoholic at 15% than a standard bottle of red wine.

The problem with Buckfast isn't so much the strength of the alcohol related to the price but also the amount of caffeine in it.  It's that combination that's particularly problematic when consumed in quantity.

Was going to say it's the combination of ingredients in buckfast that seems to do the damage, I used to drink QC sherry instead of buckfast when i was a teenager , same size bottle same 15% alcohol but half the price and no mania with all the Caffeine.

A right jakey combo of Vodka and Carlsberg Special.   Not in the same tumbler!   No, the voddy had some diluting orange in it, as I'd never seen fresh orange juice (apart from in an orange obviously   ...at Christmas).

Used to throw up before I got any pleasurable effects, other than rights of passage.  

14 hours ago, bonzo said:

Used to drink Eldorado then moved on to Thunderbird, don't think I could drink it now. 

Ah, Eldorado good memories (I think). Celtic supporters club in Greenock sold it by the tray, 32 glasses per tray. Out on a date with a burd, go to the bar to buy a round of drinks, couple of fly glasses of the local Beaujolais before you go back to the table, the rest of the night was a blurr, so classy. :spin:

12 hours ago, phart said:

I used to work with a boy from Plains their pubs sold buckfast or so i was told.

I'd never seen Buckfast sold when I was growing up.  I've only tasted it once when GlasgowManCity formerly of this parish handed me a hip flask at an away game and said "try this" and it was Buckfast and it was rank.

A few years back BBC Scotland had a documentary about Buckfast.  I think it was around the time there was some talk of "banning the Buckie".

They focussed on three things: the recipe and the amount of caffeine and the problems that caused; the packaging, essentially that people who get off their tits on Buckfast have a prepondancy to smash the bottle over someone's head; general anti-social behaviour and in particular under age drinking.

For the part on ant-social and underage drinking, they started off with a piece showing a park with lots of empty Buckfast bottles lying around littering the place.    I thought this looks familiar and realised that it was from my home town and was where I'd done my fair share of underage drinking in my teenage years - more Merrydown snakebites tbf - so I thought, okay, I can't get *too* judgemental about this.

Of course the real irony here is that it causes so much damage - compared to other types of alcohol - and yet is produced and the profits go to a religious order.