Scotland Squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

Here's a list of EPL players sorted according to form (whoscored.com)

James Morrison
Phil Bardsley
James McArthur
Steven Naismith
Andrew Robertson
Alan Hutton
Graham Dorrans
Allan McGregor
George Boyd
Charlie Adam
Darren Fletcher
Scott Arfield
Steven Fletcher
Matthew Phillips
Ross Wallace
According to that the two Fletchers are lucky to be in the squad and Bardsley must be wondering what more he has to do.
Edited by davew

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the list of players in the Championship also sorted according to whoscored.com form

Christophe Berra
Gordon Greer
Tom Cairney
Steven Whittaker
Paul Dixon
Chris Martin
Craig Bryson
Kevin McDonald
Craig Forsyth
Grant Hanley
Jordan Rhodes
Craig Conway
Chris Maguire
Ross McCormack
Russell Martin
Kirk Broadfoot
Chris Burke
Johnny Russell
David Marshall
Murray Wallace
Ikechi Anya
Jamie Mackie
Paul Caddis
Don Cowie
Shaun Maloney
Ryan Fraser
So according to club form, Cairney, Dixon, and McDonald all unlucky to not make the squad.
Russell Martin, Burke, Marshall, Anya, and Maloney all lucky to make the squad.

If the "young-ish" player is Cairney, that would make more sense than Rhodes.

All the strikers fit into Starchans style of play, so he will not be calling up another one.... looking at the midfield, clearly a severe lack of width in that squad.... with Anya, Burke and Maloney really the only players who can play on the wings (unless he plans to move Naismith back for one/both the games?)

All the strikers fit into Starchans style of play, so he will not be calling up another one.... looking at the midfield, clearly a severe lack of width in that squad.... with Anya, Burke and Maloney really the only players who can play on the wings (unless he plans to move Naismith back for one/both the games?)

As said earlier - Strachan gave Boyd a recall last year and Rhodes made Strachan's earlier squads so I don't buy the "striker type" argument. I get players could have been called up into early squads for a close viewing and also that Strachan may have been developing a system but to suggest we will only play one way regardless of the opposition with one style of player does Strachan a dis-service in my opinion........

Jack Harper is playing in the Youth Champions League tomorrow...

I think that would be a real shocked, but he is already in the U18 squad for Euro qualifiers next month.

As said, I think Strachan could take a punt on him in a years time, just for a chance to see him (a place in the squad for a young player seems to be a emerging pattern with Strachans squads)

Here's the list of players in the Championship also sorted according to whoscored.com form

Christophe Berra
Gordon Greer
Tom Cairney
Steven Whittaker
Paul Dixon
Chris Martin
Craig Bryson
Kevin McDonald
Craig Forsyth
Grant Hanley
Jordan Rhodes
Craig Conway
Chris Maguire
Ross McCormack
Russell Martin
Kirk Broadfoot
Chris Burke
Johnny Russell
David Marshall
Murray Wallace
Ikechi Anya
Jamie Mackie
Paul Caddis
Don Cowie
Shaun Maloney
Ryan Fraser
So according to club form, Cairney, Dixon, and McDonald all unlucky to not make the squad.

Stevie May hasn't even made the list you've quoted and IMO he has done very well in Championship since he went to Sheffield

Stevie May hasn't even made the list you've quoted and IMO he has done very well in Championship since he went to Sheffield

Right enough. He's not been marked as Scottish, that's why I missed him.

He would be between Broadfoot and Burke on the list.

Christophe Berra
Gordon Greer
Tom Cairney
Steven Whittaker
Paul Dixon
Chris Martin
Craig Bryson
Kevin McDonald
Craig Forsyth
Grant Hanley
Jordan Rhodes
Craig Conway
Chris Maguire
Ross McCormack
Russell Martin
Kirk Broadfoot
Chris Burke
Johnny Russell
David Marshall
Murray Wallace
Ikechi Anya
Jamie Mackie
Paul Caddis
Don Cowie
Shaun Maloney
Ryan Fraser

Surely it should be listed in terms of position...

Mystery player could come from Cairney, Russell, M. Wallace or Fraser. If you're right about width could be Fraser. Strachan likes pace in the team.

Mystery player could come from Cairney, Russell, M. Wallace or Fraser. If you're right about width could be Fraser. Strachan likes pace in the team.

That is another strong candidate, as he has been out injured recently, and is only expected to make his return tonight (thus Strachan delaying naming him?)

Cairney could be the other youngish player, give his recent injury scare which fits with what WGS was saying. But i think it's more likely to be Ryan Fraser as he's been out recently and is back fit for Bournemouth's match tonight.

As for Rhodes, he's not started the seaon on fire, his scoring record is very similar to May who's settling into a new club, at a new level and netted 2 in the last 3 league games. For WGS that pick seems to be more about getting ot know the player and giving him a taster to spur him on to greater heights in the future. I'm curious why some think Watt is worth a call up? Other than "he's quick", he doesn't seem to be pulling up trees in Belgium just now. He's not starting games and 10 games into their season he's got just the one goal. I'm curious how anyone can justify that shout on merit.

As for Burke, he's started every league game for the team 1 point off the top off the championship, so while i haven't seen every forest game, it's fair to assume he's doing something right.

it's a good squad, mixes experience and youth and contains all of our best 11 players. we can go into both these games with no real worries about who was called up. hopefully everyone remains unscathed thru the remaining games between now and the qualifiers.

Hmm Maloney can play out there, Dorrans has played out there, Bannan or Burke can swap flanks easy enough as well.

I wouldn't call Bannan a wide right player, but he does a good job for us there. So it's more about whether we have players versatile enough to perform there rather than a 'true' left winger. Anya's not really a left winger either remember. He's _very_ right footed and mostly plays on the right when he turns out for watford afaik.

I expect that after this campaign we'll probably see Maloney and Burke move out of the squad and the likes of GMS and Fraser will be looking to secure places in their stead. I think we're looking ok for a few years yet. The only concern is obviously center backs.. but we'll just have to wait and see who comes thru or rediscovers form on that one.

Cairney could be the other youngish player, give his recent injury scare which fits with what WGS was saying. But i think it's more likely to be Ryan Fraser as he's been out recently and is back fit for Bournemouth's match tonight.

As for Rhodes, he's not started the seaon on fire, his scoring record is very similar to May who's settling into a new club, at a new level and netted 2 in the last 3 league games. For WGS that pick seems to be more about getting ot know the player and giving him a taster to spur him on to greater heights in the future. I'm curious why some think Watt is worth a call up? Other than "he's quick", he doesn't seem to be pulling up trees in Belgium just now. He's not starting games and 10 games into their season he's got just the one goal. I'm curious how anyone can justify that shout on merit.

As for Burke, he's started every league game for the team 1 point off the top off the championship, so while i haven't seen every forest game, it's fair to assume he's doing something right.

it's a good squad, mixes experience and youth and contains all of our best 11 players. we can go into both these games with no real worries about who was called up. hopefully everyone remains unscathed thru the remaining games between now and the qualifiers.

Watt would fall into the same category of a young player getting a taste for the squad. Watt has natural ability in abundance as well as pace and looking ahead he's got a lot of potential. There's an article this week in French quoting the Liege manager, who appears to be raving about him.

Watt would fall into the same category of a young player getting a taste for the squad. Watt has natural ability in abundance as well as pace and looking ahead he's got a lot of potential. There's an article this week in French quoting the Liege manager, who appears to be raving about him.

I saw something where his manager was saying he had great potential.. if he was playing regularly and scoring a few goals i'd be more inclined to buy into it. It seem weird if he really did rave about a player that he doesn't pick.