Scottish player transfers - Page 230 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

17 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh me too. Though I doubt their champions league run will last beyond this round.

Still 2 games against world class opposition. Exactly the type of prep that is valuable for the Euros.

This move could result in him being in the first 11 at the Euros. Especially with the inaction of our other CBs.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Still 2 games against world class opposition. Exactly the type of prep that is valuable for the Euros.

This move could result in him being in the first 11 at the Euros. Especially with the inaction of our other CBs.

Yeh it could, they are a decent side but you'd expect they have signed him to play not a bench filler so every chance a good run of games could see him starting in the middle of the 3 ahead of Hanley etc in the summer. Probably our best centre back in the air & decent on the ball just turning against fast technical forwards is his weakness but you can say that about all the guys he is competing for a Scotland start with.

10 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh it could, they are a decent side but you'd expect they have signed him to play not a bench filler so every chance a good run of games could see him starting in the middle of the 3 ahead of Hanley etc in the summer. Probably our best centre back in the air & decent on the ball just turning against fast technical forwards is his weakness but you can say that about all the guys he is competing for a Scotland start with.

I'm a big fan of Hanley, and so is Clarke. But he's been out for a long time and has yet to fully establish himself back in Norwich's starting 11. So it'll be pretty hard to justify him starting for Scotland if that continues.

Same goes for Cooper. Who might end up not even making the final 23.

My preference would be Tierney, McKenna and Porteous at the back. Porteous simply because he is the type of defender that occasionally makes superb last ditch tackles that can save you points. However, I'd be quite happy with Hendry as well.

Do we need more than 5 CBs? I guess 6 would be sensible if Clarke sees Tierney as a back up to Robertson. Though Hickey could easily be shifted to LWB as well.

Edited by Tartan blood

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm a big fan of Hanley, and so is Clarke. But he's been out for a long time and has yet to fully establish himself back in Norwich's starting 11. So it'll be pretty hard to justify him starting for Scotland if that continues.

Same goes for Cooper. Who might end up not even making the final 23.

My preference would be Tierney, McKenna and Porteous at the back. Porteous simply because he is the type of defender that occasionally makes superb last ditch tackles that can save you points. However, I'd be quite happy with Hendry as well.

Do we need more than 5 CBs? I guess 6 would be sensible if Clarke sees Tierney as a back up to Robertson. Though Hickey could easily be shifted to LWB as well.

Porteous , McKenna, Tierney would be my starting choices also. I like Hanley  but think the centre of the 3 role can be played well by almost all our options & maybe due to injuries & age it might be time to move on from Hanley .

If Kenny McLean makes the squad his recent performances playing well in central defence should allow Clarke to chance only taking 5 central defenders. 

Probably that'll be Hendry, Porteous, Tierney, McKenna & Hanley with Souttar sadly missing out.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

David Turnbull looks like he is off to Cardiff for 2 million. 

Looks like he is unlikely to fulfil his exciting early potential. Think Celtic paid 3 million for him so it's not as great sign that they are willing to sell him for less.

18 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Looks like he is unlikely to fulfil his exciting early potential. Think Celtic paid 3 million for him so it's not as great sign that they are willing to sell him for less.

Looked like such a different player when in the Celtic jersey compared to Motherwell where he was given so much freedom and seemed the complete opposite at Celtic. Lost so much game time the last few years. If played correctly reckon he could do very well for Cardiff.

8 hours ago, JECK said:

Looked like such a different player when in the Celtic jersey compared to Motherwell where he was given so much freedom and seemed the complete opposite at Celtic. Lost so much game time the last few years. If played correctly reckon he could do very well for Cardiff.

Yeh hope he does well. Though I don't think he works hard enough or is athletic enough to play for Celtic or Scotland currently.

9 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Porteous , McKenna, Tierney would be my starting choices also. I like Hanley  but think the centre of the 3 role can be played well by almost all our options & maybe due to injuries & age it might be time to move on from Hanley .

If Kenny McLean makes the squad his recent performances playing well in central defence should allow Clarke to chance only taking 5 central defenders. 

Probably that'll be Hendry, Porteous, Tierney, McKenna & Hanley with Souttar sadly missing out.

No danger McLean is an international centre back 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He's a good championship player which is literally what we can say about half our team. My worry is not Kenny McLean who is far from first choice even in midfield but the first-choice championship players we'll be playing in central defence and up front.

34 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

He's a good championship player which is literally what we can say about half our team. My worry is not Kenny McLean who is far from first choice even in midfield but the first-choice championship players we'll be playing in central defence and up front.

Wait and see what happens today in the transfer window, but it's likely we'll have Tierney and McKenna in defence, who are both playing in the champions league. Porteous has the potential to play at a higher level than the championship, in my opinion. Hanley and Cooper both have experience in the EPL, too. 

Shankland very well might force himself into the first 11 if he keeps scoring worldies at Hearts. I know Hearts aren't elite, but from a psychological point of view, we can at least present him as being a prolific scorer at the 3rd best team in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Wait and see what happens today in the transfer window, but it's likely we'll have Tierney and McKenna in defence, who are both playing in the champions league. Porteous has the potential to play at a higher level than the championship, in my opinion. Hanley and Cooper both have experience in the EPL, too. 

Shankland very well might force himself into the first 11 if he keeps scoring worldies at Hearts. I know Hearts aren't elite, but from a psychological point of view, we can at least present him as being a prolific scorer at the 3rd best team in Scotland.

Yes, I can be too negative. Up front, even if it's with an out of form Dykes, I know we have plenty goals in our midfield. I think Cooper is probably out of the picture now but I hope Hanley has this tournament in him. I thought Porteous was doing well but someone mentioned the Watford forums and I had a look at them and he's not highly rated at the moment. I think he's been good recently for Scotland. If we're looking at Porteous, McKenna and Tierney I suppose that isn't too bad but I fear it will end up being Porteous/Hendry/McKenna which I think is relatively weak.

Re; Shankland, he should be our starting striker and for me he could play in the lower EPL though his lack of pace would maybe prevent that. We do have an EPL striker available but his time seems to have passed.

Edited by BryanBlessed

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Yeh mine too.

8 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Nobody says he is but I don't want us taking 6 centre backs when in all likelihood only 4 or 5 will get minutes & I'm including KT in the 5. If we are unlucky & have a couple of central defenders injured or suspended we would still have 3 starters & Hickey or McLean capable of doing a job for part of the game if necessary.

I'd be much happier we had a extra offensive player on the bench than a extra defender , preferable a wide player like Barnes or Fraser .

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Does not see to be many Scot deals going though, a couple of interesting ones being Adam Devine on loan to Motherwell from Rangers  and Joe Bevan 19 striker signing for Burnley from Albuon rovers.

Huge step up for Bevan but just watched a interview with him, he is very level headed young man & he looks to have some pace & a cracking left peg. 

On 1/31/2024 at 7:44 PM, syecosse said:

David Turnbull looks like he is off to Cardiff for 2 million. 

That's the deal gone through now.

Turnbull's made the right choice getting out of Celtic. His stats are impressive but going by the reaction on Twitter he's clearly unappreciated at Parkhead. The most common issues appear to be a lack of pace and work-rate (from the same fanbase who loved Tom Rogic) but my personal favourite was the guy who said he won't miss him because he doesn't like the way he reacts after he's scored a goal. 🤦‍♂️

Just now, scotlad said:

That's the deal gone through now.

Turnbull's made the right choice getting out of Celtic. His stats are impressive but going by the reaction on Twitter he's clearly unappreciated at Parkhead. The most common issues appear to be a lack of pace and work-rate (from the same fanbase who loved Tom Rogic) but my personal favourite was the guy who said he won't miss him because he doesn't like the way he reacts after he's scored a goal. 🤦‍♂️

The most entitled fanbase in the world. Turnbull can (and did) go five games in a row scoring goals, but then have 1 bad performance and gets utter vitriol from the fans. It's pathetic. He's made the correct decision to leave.

Celtic should, in theory, have first pick of the eilte Scottish talent. Rangers 2nd pick. It's currently looking quite likely that between them there will be 1 player from the old firm in the Euros squad. 

• 3 weeks later...