Snp Deputy Leadership Contest - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snp Deputy Leadership Contest

Having the leadership spread across two parliaments would be an utter disaster in my opinion, it would allow for the opportunity for situations of them briefing against each other. What has worked so well over the last 7 years has been the unity of the leadership.

Westminster is an irrelevance to the SNP, we are in government in Scotland therefore our complete focus should be here, where we are polling at 49% in constituency votes for the Scottish Parliament.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Stewart Hosie for me. I actually like the thought of having the deputy in Westminster so that the leadership team are spread across both parliaments - now more than ever we could be doing with consolidating and enhancing our presence at Westminster. Too many people see Westminster as not worth caring about which is ironic. Across both parliaments is a challenge as well though - the distance means more difficult for Sturgeon and Hosie to be a close team and ensuring they are on same page. Hosie always a very capable performer from what I've seen although can be quite dismissive but Im not sure that's a bad thing from a leadership point of view. Keith Brown seems decent enough but is missing something for me.

Out of the two, I'd probably opt for Hosie but not a bad decision to have. Definitely too soon for Humza.

Quite surprised Angus Robertson hasnt stepped up, suggesting he doesnt have support behind the scenes. Hosie as Deputy will mean a demotion of sorts for Angus.

It'll always be too soon for Humza he's a patronising pr*ck who would be a liability.

Have to agree Larky - he does not come across well. Mr Hosie is very good and very professional.

Im glad others feel same about Humza. Can't quite put my finger on it but watching him on the TV last night, he's far too polished and smooth for a young un, which in turn comes across as being too far up his own arse.

The absence of Angus Robertson would back up some other comments about him.

Im not actually sure how much depth the SNP have in their ranks. Alex Neil, Kenny MacAskill, Mike Russell all heavy weights but all with flaws. Any talented back benchers ready to take a step up?

Westminster is extremely important to Scotland right now and especially in May's general election. If we send down a large number of Yes members they can have a significant influence on a hung parliament and whether we like it or not Westminster is where power lies.

IMO, holding the balance of power isn't necessarily a good thing. There would be an expectation from the electorate to be reasonable and an expectation from Yes supporters to get the maximum devolution possible. Delivering on maximum devolution hurts the independence campaign, cooperating with the Tories gets you a bad name, and cooperating with Labour means being tainted by their p*sh.

I'd rather the SNP made gains at the expense of Labour but I'd be content sitting on the opposition benches giving a Tory and UKIP coalition hell, and watching the Labour Party cry into their pints.

Getting into double figures is a reasonable target next year especially if the SNP can unseat some Glasgow Labour MPs, Build a platform for 2016 while Scotland comes to terms with the fact that a Labour government didnt materialise.

IMO, All depends on how the numbers work out. I don't expect Yes to hold the balance of power but I do expect the numbers to be significant enough to matter especially up against a loose coalition.

Devolution is the chosen path I don't agree it hurts the independence movement look at New Zealand they evolved into an independent country, in the absence of another referendum it's the only route we have.

What's the beef with Angus Robertson?

He can be a bit too bullish.

I think Hosie comes across well on TV whereas as Keith Brown, while solid enough, seems a bit characterless.

Having the leadership spread across two parliaments could have its advantages, particularly if the SNP are serious about increasing their presences at Westminster.

Humza Yousaf could be one for the future, although I am not a huge fan; he's a bit New Labour-ish for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received the following mail from the SNP:

Depute Leadership Ballot - Voting Open!

Voting is now open for the position of Depute Leader. This is your chance to have a say in who you would like to work with Nicola Sturgeon to take the Party forward, building on the momentum established over the past 2 years and working towards our goal of independence.

To vote, please visit https://www.mi-vote.com/snp and then enter your unique voting code to vote:

Here you will also find details of the candidates for the depute leadership.

Voting will close at 5pm on the 12th November and the results will be announced at the Party's Annual Conference.

At this point I have no idea who will be getting my vote - does anyone know if there are hustings planned in the Glasgow area?

Edited by Jie Bie

I have already said who i support in this contest, i did take the opportunity to read what they all had to say and frankly Keith Brown was the only one to actually say anything of actual substance. This made my decision even easier.

1. Keith Brown