Steak Pie - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steak Pie

We went out for an early evening meal to the local restaurant in the village.

I got steak pie.

Now, I'll tell you this, I've gotten to the age I am and I have never, ever been served steak pie with celery in it before.

I mean, WTF?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a chef for 20 years, and if anybody told me to Celery in a steak pie, they would get smacked in the coupon, with a well smoked kipper (or a brick if that is closer)

Obviously it has to be cooked down with the onions and carrots first... are you from Aberdeen? :wink2:

Obviously it has to be cooked down with the onions and carrots first... are you from Aberdeen? :wink2:

Fecking Carrots in it as well as celery, thats no coo pie yer making thats the start of a no bad Ratatouille, why not just go the whole hog and take out the chopped up coo, and replace it with tofu.

Ps I ain't from Aberdeen, I have never had sexual relations with a sheep, a few dogs in my time, but never a sheep.

Fecking Carrots in it as well as celery, thats no coo pie yer making thats the start of a no bad Ratatouille, why not just go the whole hog and take out the chopped up coo, and replace it with tofu.

Ps I ain't from Aberdeen, I have never had sexual relations with a sheep, a few dogs in my time, but never a sheep.

That's right feckin carrots.

Finely chopped with the onions and celery and fried slowly in beef fat and then added back to the mega tasty steak...

Edited by thplinth

Why have steak pie when ye can have a white pudding supper with a side King Rib / Mock Chop / haggis / Red pudding / black pudding with peas from the chippy ?

You lot don't bloody well know how lucky ye are with the chip shops up the road. The chip shops doon here are absolutely stinking. Rank rotten. Bowfing. Hanging. Pish. You name it.

Im still starving, I feel cheated.

Bloody steak pie and celery !

That's right feckin carrots.

Finely chopped with the onions and celery and fried slowly in beef fat and then added back to the mega tasty steak...

If you want a real steak pie, you have to make your own.

Ingredients

2 pound (1 K) Good Quality Trimmed Stew usually available from your local shop lifter

1 Big Onion

Beef Stock (oxo cubes also work)

1 Btl Of Good Red Wine

12 cans of Lager

Fine dice the onions and put in a pan with the stew. Brown off the meat, and then add half the red wine, continue stirring until the wine has reduced by half. When the wine has reduced, cover the meat with beef stock, and simmer. While the Stew is reaching simmer point, drink the remaining half btl of wine.

Simmer the stew until tender, or you have finished your first 6 cans.

At this point you have a choice to make, you can either thicken your stew by making a roux based gravy involving flour, butter and the stews juices or use Bisto.

I use Bisto because I am a lazy sod, once you have the stew to your required consistency, start drinking your next 6 cans.

At this point you should start making the puff pastry

A lot of people say nothing beats making your own pastry and in truth they are correct, but have you ever made puff pastry half cut, I have, so use bought in stuff, it is a whole lot easier. Prep the pastry as per instructions on the packet (Depending on the strength of wine and lager used in the recipe, another pair of eyes maybe useful at this time)

Place the puff pastry in the oven and set the timer, making sure you have enough time to drink another can.

Once the timer/and or the smoke alarm go’s off, remove the pastry from the oven, carefully extinguishing any flames, before realising making a steak pie half cut was not such a good idea, and you should have just got one from the butchers.

At this point it is usually a good idea to finish off your cargo, before phoning for a take away.

You should never buy peas from a chip shop. Not even sure if a mock chop should be allowed. Fish, sausage, black pudding, white pudding, haggis and the occasional king rib are the only suppers that should be available to people. Chip shops are not the place for fancy, exotic food

If you want a real steak pie, you have to make your own.

Ingredients

2 pound (1 K) Good Quality Trimmed Stew usually available from your local shop lifter

1 Big Onion

Beef Stock (oxo cubes also work)

1 Btl Of Good Red Wine

12 cans of Lager

Fine dice the onions and put in a pan with the stew. Brown off the meat, and then add half the red wine, continue stirring until the wine has reduced by half. When the wine has reduced, cover the meat with beef stock, and simmer. While the Stew is reaching simmer point, drink the remaining half btl of wine.

Simmer the stew until tender, or you have finished your first 6 cans.

At this point you have a choice to make, you can either thicken your stew by making a roux based gravy involving flour, butter and the stews juices or use Bisto.

I use Bisto because I am a lazy sod, once you have the stew to your required consistency, start drinking your next 6 cans.

At this point you should start making the puff pastry

A lot of people say nothing beats making your own pastry and in truth they are correct, but have you ever made puff pastry half cut, I have, so use bought in stuff, it is a whole lot easier. Prep the pastry as per instructions on the packet (Depending on the strength of wine and lager used in the recipe, another pair of eyes maybe useful at this time)

Place the puff pastry in the oven and set the timer, making sure you have enough time to drink another can.

Once the timer/and or the smoke alarm go’s off, remove the pastry from the oven, carefully extinguishing any flames, before realising making a steak pie half cut was not such a good idea, and you should have just got one from the butchers.

At this point it is usually a good idea to finish off your cargo, before phoning for a take away.

:-)) Like it.