The Flow Of People To Yes - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Flow Of People To Yes

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody should know postals. They don't get counted till 10pm. Ignore any rumours.

As was kindly explained to me a couple of days ago, apparently a large number are opened in advance.

People are not supposed to know how the votes look, but they do.

As was kindly explained to me a couple of days ago, apparently a large number are opened in advance.

People are not supposed to know how the votes look, but they do.

Ah right. I thought that was just a random sample, to confirm that signatures match, with nae peeking at the ballot itself.

PS I have also heard (unsubstantiated rumour) that postals are 60:40 for no, so I am just going to ignore any rumours for the good of my health...

Edited by Armchair Bob

Just been to polling station in kirkintilloch. Yes rep in good spirits. Hes opening the door for everyone arriving. All yessers stopping for a chat and saying thankyou. Miserable no bastards not even saying thanks for him opening the door. Was great so see one woman so enthusiastic..she had never voted before and had been trying to convert all her mates with a reasonable degree of success.

Edited by irnbruman

I can only assume the bookies are being influenced by some serious bets from down south by people going by the polls?

Yep, the market is completely distorted.

These are bookies who operate across the whole UK. If they only operated in Scotland then Yes would be the odds-on favourite.

Yep, the market is completely distorted.

These are bookies who operate across the whole UK. If they only operated in Scotland then Yes would be the odds-on favourite.

If people are still piling on NO down south, then it's in the bookies interests to keep them doing so, and by having them odds on it gives the impression that it's a forgone conclusion. That is of course if the bookies are getting feedback from Scotland saying it's 50:50 and YES might win.

As ever, the bookies are in the busy of making money. Their odds reflect their books. If money is pilling on No, they will continue to shorten the odds which in turn encourages more bets as people see it as a sure fire winner. All that money goes toward balancing their loses if it's a Yes vote.

The clue is where these bets are placed. Vast majority of bets in Scotland are for Yes, while vast majority for No in rUK.

If people are still piling on NO down south, then it's in the bookies interests to keep them doing so, and by having them odds on it gives the impression that it's a forgone conclusion. That is of course if the bookies are getting feedback from Scotland saying it's 50:50 and YES might win.

I think they're just balancing their books? The best info the bookies have is that the vote could go either way, yet the no side are huge favourites. That has to be because the vast majority of the money has been placed on No.... no? :)

Yesterday the best you could get was Evens on the vote being over 48%, yet 4-1 on an actual Yes result. That 2% difference in the vote doesn't justify such a big swing in the odds surely? The only explanation i can come up with is that the relative difference of the bookie's exposure forces them to have such long odds on a Yes vote.

As ever, the bookies are in the busy of making money. Their odds reflect their books. If money is pilling on No, they will continue to shorten the odds which in turn encourages more bets as people see it as a sure fire winner. All that money goes toward balancing their loses if it's a Yes vote.

The clue is where these bets are placed. Vast majority of bets in Scotland are for Yes, while vast majority for No in rUK.

What he said :)