Challenge Cup Final - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

25 minutes ago, Marky said:

But Ferguson is claiming the interfering with play rule didn't exist then? 

Yeah, but he's a fanny.  And if it didn't then I would concede Gallagher was offside.  

But it did and he wasn't. 

Edited by adamntg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, adamntg said:

Yeah, but he's a fanny.  

Thanks that's cleared it all up. 

On the decision itself, didn't Syme say afterwards that he had actually given offside against Redford. No TV camera angle I've seen could prove or disprove if that was a correct decision. 

For me its simple.

if the interfering with play rule didn't exist, he was offside.

If it did exist, he was still offside. He was stood on the goal line and prevented Derek Hamilton from getting across to potentially clear the ball (regardless of how unlikely that might have been). You can't be stood on the effin goal line and not be interfering with play.

So in summary, regardless of the refs rationale for the decision, Galkacher was offside. 

Now take a telling. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Anyone mention yet how United's fortunes have slipped while things are looking up at St. Mirren ever since wee Cammy went from the Arabs to the Buddies?

Yaaay!! Scotty fulfils my sheep prophesy!!

:ok:

3 minutes ago, Marky said:

Thanks that's cleared it all up. 

On the decision itself, didn't Syme say afterwards that he had actually given offside against Redford. No TV camera angle I've seen could prove or disprove if that was a correct decision. 

For me its simple.

if the interfering with play rule didn't exist, he was offside.

If it did exist, he was still offside. He was stood on the goal line and prevented Derek Hamilton from getting across to potentially clear the ball (regardless of how unlikely that might have been). You can't be stood on the effin goal line and not be interfering with play.

You can if your momentum takes you there.  If anything, he was more likely to keep the ball out than anything.  He wasn't stopping anybody doing anything.

And Redford was never offside - you can hear Weetabix-heid on the commentary saying "there's no offside...." as Redford crosses. 

Let's just agree I'm right, you lot were lucky (well, you were lucky anyway, but really, really lucky) and that cup should really be ours.  Morally, we won the cup. 

7 minutes ago, Marky said:

Incidentally, when was the rule brought in?

I posted it a few weeks ago when you first started banging on about 1987.  Can't remember exactly but it was like 100 years ago. Seriously. 

EDIT : ok, I checked.  A player is only offside if he is affecting (interfering) with play - introduced 1903.  Actually introduced before the rule you cant be offside in your own half.

Gallacher affecting play?  Not even a little bit.  

Edited by adamntg

31 minutes ago, Geed said:

Looking forward to this game tomorrow, should be good.  Good luck to both teams.  My dads a Morton fan so he will be cheering on Utd ha ha

Are you actually going to Fir Park? :lol:;)

Would have liked to go to the game but 12:30 is no good for me. 

2 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

Are you actually going to Fir Park? :lol:;)

Would have liked to go to the game but 12:30 is no good for me. 

ha ha no will be watching it on bbc alba, was suppose to be going to the St Rochs v Larkhall thistle game as been to the last couple of home games for the Thistle, but decided against it as ahh am saving myself for Sunday ha ha

7 minutes ago, Geed said:

ha ha no will be watching it on bbc alba, was suppose to be going to the St Rochs v Larkhall thistle game as been to the last couple of home games for the Thistle, but decided against it as ahh am saving myself for Sunday ha ha

Think I'm heading to this with a few mates who follow St.Rochs

39 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Think I'm heading to this with a few mates who follow St.Rochs

Should be a good crowd, Thistle are in 3rd just behind St Rochs who are second but both have a number of games in hand over Cambuslang Rangers who have lost there last 2 to the Thistle and Wishaw.

Come on the Saints. Got to support my local team. 

Probably been to nearly as many St Mirren games over the years as Scotland ones and yet to see them lose other than against Rangers. I should have bought a ticket for today......