Challenge Cup Final - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

:lol:

How have they split up fir park? The segregation was a negative as a neutral venue in my eyes, as the east stand that runs the length of the pitch can't be split, so presume one team has the big away stand and the wings of main stand and the other has the cooper and the east which would be a slight advantage in my eyes (although our home record doesn't back that up! :lol: )

When we played Falkirk in the 2007 Semi Final it was split as follows

East Stand - All Killie

Cooper Stand - All Killie

Main Stand - Split 50/50

South Stand - Falkirk.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Shotts56 said:

I was going to go along as a neutral with my wee boy (Accies fans, live within walking distance of Fir Park), but Dundee United wanted £9 booking fees for me to buy two tickets from them. 

I declined, so we'll watch it on the telly or go to Wishaw Juniors or something. 

United and their booking fees are ludicrous.  They charge you per ticket rather than per envelope, it's tantamount to extortion.

Mind you, they were trying to pull a fast one with you - they charged me £6.75 to post three tickets (it's £2.25 a ticket, so £9.00 would be four tickets).  Highway robbery though.

Edited by adamntg

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

"The Tory wax-jacket wearing ruddy-faced fermers" was the official nickname I thought?  And Nicky Fairbairn the Lifetime President?

You continually dredging up Nicky Fairbairn to put down a staunchly SNP city is like me throwing Winston Churchill at you caravan dwelling tramps. :)

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You continually dredging up Nicky Fairbairn to put down a staunchly SNP city is like me throwing Winston Churchill at you caravan dwelling tramps. :)

"Caravan dwelling tramps" is exactly the kind of upper-class snobbish put-down I'd expect from a dyed-in-the-wool Tory gent.  You missed out "dreadful, oikish yobbos" though....   :lol:

Just now, adamntg said:

"Caravan dwelling tramps" is exactly the kind of upper-class snobbish put-down I'd expect from a dyed-in-the-wool Tory gent.  You missed out "dreadful, oikish yobbos" though....   :lol:

My apologies. That's the last time I instruct my butler to message for me. :whistling:

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, i'm sure folk travelled up from Killie to Dundee in the 80s to watch Dundee Utd! Plenty of Aberdeen fans down that way but i've never met a Dundee Utd fan from Ayrshire in my puff.

No squirrel, it was tongue in cheek as you probably know...

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Agree with the general sentiment of your post and I said myself that I thought it was an unfair venue choice. Particularly for a 1230 kick off, don't think it would be that much of an issue for any kick off time after 1400.

What I don't agree with is your statement about an anticipated crowd of 7500. It may end up not being much more than that, but it's certainly not what I think most people would have anticipated. Most people including the SPFL I'd imagine, would've fully expected two teams like Saints and Utd to fill Fir Park. Therefore from a size point of view, I'd have thought that Fir Park was the ideal choice.

They may have got a better crowd with a fairer venue.

20 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

They may have got a better crowd with a fairer venue.

I'm not convinced. Arab apathy seems to be playing a huge part. Mixture of honest Arabs citing your horrific form for not bothering and those not so honest ones using the old "Diddy Cup" excuse. Not being funny, but as if a team with Utd's sparse trophy cabinet could afford to be picky about the prospect of picking up any trophy.

Out of curiosity though, what ground to you think would've achieved a bigger crowd and why?

1 minute ago, Marky said:

I'm not convinced. Arab apathy seems to be playing a huge part. Mixture of honest Arabs citing your horrific form for not bothering and those not so honest ones using the old "Diddy Cup" excuse. Not being funny, but as if a team with Utd's sparse trophy cabinet could afford to be picky about the prospect of picking up any trophy.

Seriously, we're really not fussy for winning the Diddy Cup.  

For a club that's spent 48 of the past 50 seasons in the top division, 33 of those in the top six and 21 in the top four, appearing in 18 major cup finals, winning a trophy for teams outside the top flight is at best a bit "meh" and at worst an embarrassment.  

Possibly even worse than winning the Forfarshire Cup, at least being in that competition isn't a result of failure in the league.

40 minutes ago, adamntg said:

For a club that's spent 48 of the past 50 seasons in the top division, 33 of those in the top six and 21 in the top four, appearing in 18 major cup finals, winning a trophy for teams outside the top flight is at best a bit "meh" and at worst an embarrassment.

Possibly even worse than winning the Forfarshire Cup, at least being in that competition isn't a result of failure in the league.

Spin is a wonderful thing isn’t it.

Let me re-write that for you being equally as truthful.

For 48 of the last 50 years (bar one almost 35 years ago) we’ve flopped around in mid table obscurity winning the square root of fook all in league sense. In the cups we’ve been a bit more successful winning 2 trophies in the last 30 years, which is exactly the same as a team like….oooo….let me think….St. Mirren. Throughout our entire history we have won 5 major trophies which is one more than a team like….ooo….let me think…..St. Mirren. We won a major trophy in 2010. Not many other teams have won a major trophy more recently than us. Only teams like Celtic, Hibs…..St. Mirren. The fact that we have spent so little time outside of the top division means we haven’t had the opportunity to experience the joys of winning say the Championship or the Diddy Cup so why would we get all excited about….oh no…wait a minute…that doesn’t work.

Honestly Adam, I know your comments weren’t intended to be a Utd v St. Mirren competition and your obviously entitled to your own personal opinion, but to suggest “a team like Utd” needn’t care about winning any trophy is ridiculous. I use the St. Mirren analogies only to suggest that in the last 30 years we have arguably had a damn sight more to get excited about than Utd, yet by and large our support is still quite upbeat about this final.

I’m guessing here (because it’s not an easy thing to readily clarify) but I reckon in our 140 year history we’ve maybe spent only 20 or so outside the top division. So I think we’ve earned the right to be considered as “big” a team as Utd in an actual success sense. We’re clearly just not as fussy when it comes to trophies. Your point about why would you celebrate a trophy that is a product of your failure. By that logic, why would you attend a Championship League match?

Deary me, some fans are very precious.

45 minutes ago, adamntg said:

As i said earlier, the glory hunters are being weeded out. Good on the fans that will go and support their team though. 

20 minutes ago, Marky said:

Spin is a wonderful thing isn’t it.

Let me re-write that for you being equally as truthful.

For 48 of the last 50 years (bar one almost 35 years ago) we’ve flopped around in mid table obscurity winning the square root of fook all in league sense. In the cups we’ve been a bit more successful winning 2 trophies in the last 30 years, which is exactly the same as a team like….oooo….let me think….St. Mirren. Throughout our entire history we have won 5 major trophies which is one more than a team like….ooo….let me think…..St. Mirren. We won a major trophy in 2010. Not many other teams have won a major trophy more recently than us. Only teams like Celtic, Hibs…..St. Mirren. The fact that we have spent so little time outside of the top division means we haven’t had the opportunity to experience the joys of winning say the Championship or the Diddy Cup so why would we get all excited about….oh no…wait a minute…that doesn’t work.

Marky's put the Buddies 1 up on you already Adam. :lol:

Remember a grand day out at McDiarmid Park late in 1995 when my Stenny boys were victorious over Dundee United via the classic method of defend like and take it on penalties.

I have vivid recollections of my dad driving me and my brother (14 and 12 at the time) and as traffic slowed to enter the famous car park at that ground the wallopers in the car in front making 5-0 hand gestures and what not out the window when they noticed our maroon and white scarves hanging out the windows. They were all adults and should definitely have known better.

Needless to say from memory Dundee United had healthy support there that day and the attitude of condemning a trophy as "a diddy cup" is poor to say the least. 

It is a cup final - you never know when your club will get to contest one again. It may never come around again in your lifetime. Get to the game and enjoy the occasion would be my advice to any fan of the clubs taking part in the game.

My only regret from that day in 1995 is not seeing that car load of cocky wanks after the game 

3 hours ago, ShedTA said:

No squirrel, it was tongue in cheek as you probably know...

Have to say as a (non Glory hunter arab having watched first game with Arab dad in about 1970) it was fun watching Killie at Tanny in the 80s. Vividly remember attending two 7 nil wins in successive seasons. These were the Days. BTW Traveling from Guernsey for a Diddy cup like this no thanks but have been to every one of our Scottish cup finals including replays since 1974(and lost most)

29 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Have to say as a (non Glory hunter arab having watched first game with Arab dad in about 1970) it was fun watching Killie at Tanny in the 80s. Vividly remember attending two 7 nil wins in successive seasons. These were the Days. BTW Traveling from Guernsey for a Diddy cup like this no thanks but have been to every one of our Scottish cup finals including replays since 1974(and lost most)

Grant me old Arab mucker, me and Marky are traveling back from 26 miles further South :-) 

Lets have a tenner on it mate, Loser pays TASA, that might even make you watch it. B)

Edited by Jersey Jim

41 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I was in the shed for one of those 7-0's fantastic stuff. Did luggy not get 4 or something?

10 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Grant me old Arab mucker, me and Marky are traveling back from 26 miles further South :-) 

Lets have a tenner on it mate, Loser pays TASA, that might even make you watch it. B)

Aye you're on. BTW we don't have direct EasyJet flights from here. A very expensive rock to get off. Would rather watch my son play in a top of the table clash over here. Need a win to stay in contention for the league 

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Out of curiosity though, what ground to you think would've achieved a bigger crowd and why?

As has been mentioned one in the middle somewhere? Dunfermline would have made a difference. There is apathy in the utd support for this but as soon as the venue was announced lots of fans just said f@ck that.

1 minute ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Aye you're on. BTW we don't have direct EasyJet flights from here. A very expensive rock to get off. Would rather watch my son play in a top of the table clash over here. Need a win to stay in contention for the league 

Good man, good point about the cost, you lot certainly get ripped off over there more than us, only got yourselfs to blame tho, EasyJet have wanted into Guernsey for years, but your government won't allow it as it would feck up your local government subsidised Airline. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Marky's put the Buddies 1 up on you already Adam. :lol:

He'll need to be more concise than that but the thrust of his arguments seems to be that St Mirren have reached 18 cup finals and finished in the top 4 for half of the last 40 years. Am I right?

Edited by adamntg

47 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

43 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Good man, good point about the cost, you lot certainly get ripped off over there more than us, only got yourselfs to blame tho, EasyJet have wanted into Guernsey for years, but your government won't allow it as it would feck up your local government subsidised Airline. 

But we're no flying EasyJet direct!?

42 minutes ago, adamntg said:

He'll need to be more concise than that but the thrust of his arguments seems to be that St Mirren have reached 18 cup finals and finished in the top 4 for half of the last 40 years. Am I right?

Nope. The thrust of my argument was that you've won almost exactly the same amount of trophies as us and exactly the same amount in the last 30 years. It is further the thrust of my argument that we have won a major trophy more recently than you. On top of that in that same 30 years (indeed far more recently) we have also won 2 championship titles and a Challenge Cup.

Therefore, on the back of these arguments my contention is that arguably we are more used to "success" than you which leads me to query why you don't give a toss about this final whereas we do.

Perfectly valid argument I'd have thought and not at all how you lazily described it.

7 minutes ago, Marky said:

Nope. The thrust of my argument was that you've won almost exactly the same amount of trophies as us and exactly the same amount in the last 30 years. It is further the thrust of my argument that we have won a major trophy more recently than you. On top of that in that same 30 years (indeed far more recently) we have also won 2 championship titles and a Challenge Cup.

Therefore, on the back of these arguments my contention is that arguably we are more used to "success" than you which leads me to query why you don't give a toss about this final whereas we do.

Perfectly valid argument I'd have thought and not at all how you lazily described it.

Nurse!