Challenge Cup Final - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Nurse!

Ha ha. I was going to say we in danger of having the old "bald men fighting over a comb" analogy thrown at us. :lol:

Incidentally, nice use of stats again. 20 top 4 finishes in the last 40 years. 6 of which have been in the last 23 years.

Yes I'm that bored tonight! :lol:

I'm quietly confident about Saturday and I can't remember the last time I thought that before a match against you boys. Probably the the relegation battle between us at Love Street in 2001 when Ricky Gillies spat on his own face waiting to take a penalty! :lol:

But there is not a hope in hell that we will trounce you. It'll be a close game. No doubt about that. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Marky said:

Nope. The thrust of my argument was that you've won almost exactly the same amount of trophies as us and exactly the same amount in the last 30 years. It is further the thrust of my argument that we have won a major trophy more recently than you. On top of that in that same 30 years (indeed far more recently) we have also won 2 championship titles and a Challenge Cup.

Therefore, on the back of these arguments my contention is that arguably we are more used to "success" than you which leads me to query why you don't give a toss about this final whereas we do.

Perfectly valid argument I'd have thought and not at all how you lazily described it.

:lol:

When I started this thread I wondered if anyone would reply.

Then there were replies from fans of both protagonists.

Since we've had responses from fans of Motherwell, Killie, Fakes, Accies, Stenny, hell even Rangers.

I'm beginning to think an Aberdeen fan might contribute soon. Odds?

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

Since we've had responses from fans of Motherwell, Killie, Fakes, Accies, Stenny, hell even Rangers.

Only if they could get a star on their shirt for it.

7 minutes ago, fringo said:

Maybe just your analysis of "major" trophies ?

As I also said, just a bit of banter/fun though from my part. :ok::D

Aye but I wasnae including our championship titles and Challenge Cup as major trophies. 

I was just comparing our 3 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup to your 2 Scottish cups and 2 league. We're eeky peekies on Cups. Only thing separating us is a wee insignificant league title about 100 years ago! :lol:

So are you going to the game Fringo or are you deserting your team like that part time waster in Guernsey. 

30 minutes ago, Marky said:

You'll get the outraged Sheep in a second when you point out that St Mirren have won just as many trophies as "The Famous" in the last 10 years and are therefore just as successful. 

And gies a break - until last year we'd been 10 years in a row in the top six (or maybe 9 years).  You know when St Mirren were last in the top six?  That's right - 1985.  Incidentally also the last season you won more than you lost in the top league. OUCH!

Edited by adamntg

9 minutes ago, Marky said:

Aye but I wasnae including our championship titles and Challenge Cup as major trophies. 

I was just comparing our 3 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup to your 2 Scottish cups and 2 league. We're eeky peekies on Cups. Only thing separating us is a wee insignificant league title about 100 years ago! :lol:

So are you going to the game Fringo or are you deserting your team like that part time waster in Guernsey. 

I thought you said last 30 years ?

No, I'm not going. I feel too threatened by your team's cup stats so I'll be burning my match tickets now.:P

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You'll get the outraged Sheep in a second when you point out that St Mirren have won just as many trophies as "The Famous" in the last 10 years and are therefore just as successful. 

And gies a break - until last year we'd been 10 years in a row in the top six (or maybe 9 years).  You know when St Mirren were last in the top six?  That's right - 1985.  Incidentally also the last season you won more than you lost in the top league. OUCH!

Away with you and your inconvenient truths!!

6 minutes ago, fringo said:

I thought you said last 30 years ?

No, I'm not going. I feel too threatened by your team's cup stats so I'll be burning my match tickets now.:P

Hey Fringo, you would positively keech yourself at our cup stats this season.

P11 W9 L2

losing only to Celtic and.....ahem.....Hamilton Accies.

What do you think about them big shiny apples. 

9 minutes ago, Marky said:

Hey Fringo, you would positively keech yourself at our cup stats this season.

P11 W9 L2

losing only to Celtic and.....ahem.....Hamilton Accies.

What do you think about them big shiny apples. 

What about trophies not games ?

I'll get the cork ready just in case though.

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

Just the one trophy..........as of Saturday afternoon! :P

Possibly.

Utd are so crap at the moment but Saturday doesn't matter.

It's the current Utd form and club set up that most Utd fans still feel worried about.

3 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Have to say as a (non Glory hunter arab having watched first game with Arab dad in about 1970) it was fun watching Killie at Tanny in the 80s. Vividly remember attending two 7 nil wins in successive seasons. These were the Days. BTW Traveling from Guernsey for a Diddy cup like this no thanks but have been to every one of our Scottish cup finals including replays since 1974(and lost most)

Before my time. I've seen Kris Boyd take 5 off you himself if that's any consolation.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Before my time. I've seen Kris Boyd take 5 off you himself if that's any consolation.

I've seen the fat pudding do it twice!  That 7-1 bumming at Ibrox is possibly the least enjoyable football I've ever been to. 

I was at both those 7-0s though and a few 4-0s around the same time as well. Used to love playing Killie when I was wee. 

Edited by adamntg

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

I've seen the fat pudding do it twice!  That 7-1 bumming at Ibrox is possibly the least enjoyable football I've ever been to. 

I was at both those 7-0s though and a few 4-0s around the same time as well. Used to love playing Killie when I was wee. 

Hey Adam,

on your favourite subject have you seen Iain Ferguson making an arse of himself in The Sun today.

disclaimer - I do not read the Sun. I picked this up from the B&WArmy Forum.

Edited by Marky

The post from B&WArmy cut and pasted. The bits in brackets are obviously the additions of the St. Mirren poster. 

My point though is this. Rightly or wrongly, why is Ferguson claiming the interfering with play rule didn't exist then? That doesn't suit his argument. If that rule didn't exist, then Gallacher was DEFINITELY offside. No question. What thick tube.

4 hours ago, shull said:

Former Dundee United striker Iain Ferguson, crying his eyes out in the Media today. 

He claims his chalked off goal in the 1987 was not offside. 

IT WAS YE DAFTY :lol:

From today's Sun

"A dour game had gone to extra-time when the moment came. Ian Redford crossed from the left and Ferguson hit the back of the net with a left-foot shot, but the linesman flagged Kevin Gallacher offside.

Moments later, Saints’ Ian Ferguson won the Cup for the Paisley men.

Fergie said: “It was a perfectly good goal at Hampden. (no it wasn't) It was claimed Kevin was offside (he was) but he was lying on the ground when I hit the ball. (no he wasn't, he was still on his feet however him being prone or prostrate was irrelevant).

“Ian Redford’s cross had come past him and the interfering with play rule didn’t exist then (yes it did) and I stuck the ball away with my left foot. Referee Kenny Hope gave the goal (no he didn't) but the linesman chopped it off for whatever reason (the reason being there was only one opponent between Gallacher and the goal line).

“It was proved afterwards that the goal should have stood. (proved by whom exactly?)"

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Iain, still bitter 30 years later.

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Hey Adam,

on your favourite subject have you seen Iain Ferguson making an arse of himself in The Sun today.

disclaimer - I do not read the Sun. I picked this up from the B&WArmy Forum.

Which one?  The ex-Utd Barcelona beating one or the Red White and Blue Queen Loving one?  Or the other one that played for Hearts who was an even bigger haddy?

4 hours ago, Marky said:

The post from B&WArmy cut and pasted. The bits in brackets are obviously the additions of the St. Mirren poster. 

My point though is this. Rightly or wrongly, why is Ferguson claiming the interfering with play rule didn't exist then? That doesn't suit his argument. If that rule didn't exist, then Gallacher was DEFINITELY offside. No question. What thick tube.

From today's Sun

"A dour game had gone to extra-time when the moment came. Ian Redford crossed from the left and Ferguson hit the back of the net with a left-foot shot, but the linesman flagged Kevin Gallacher offside.

Moments later, Saints’ Ian Ferguson won the Cup for the Paisley men.

Fergie said: “It was a perfectly good goal at Hampden. (no it wasn't) It was claimed Kevin was offside (he was) but he was lying on the ground when I hit the ball. (no he wasn't, he was still on his feet however him being prone or prostrate was irrelevant).

“Ian Redford’s cross had come past him and the interfering with play rule didn’t exist then (yes it did) and I stuck the ball away with my left foot. Referee Kenny Hope gave the goal (no he didn't) but the linesman chopped it off for whatever reason (the reason being there was only one opponent between Gallacher and the goal line).

“It was proved afterwards that the goal should have stood. (proved by whom exactly?)"

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Iain, still bitter 30 years later.

He was in an offside position but he wasn't interfering with play.  Good goal.