Scottish Cup Weekend - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Weekend

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Do you think that's actually true? 

The bookies disagree. 

Aberdeen have been priced up 19/20 to win in 90 minutes. With Hibs at 5/2. 

Aberdeen are the 2nd best side in Scotland, i don't think many folk would dispute that. They're a better side than Hibs and are favourites to win. It'll be a close game that could go either way, Aberdeen are favourites though. 

None of that takes into account how utter shite we are generally in playing semi-finals. Especially at Hampden.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Rossy said:

None of that takes into account how utter shite we are generally in playing semi-finals. Especially at Hampden.

Yeah, i've only seen us win at Hampden once. We're still favourites to beat Hibs though. 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Aye, fair point..

The team whom Brendan Rodgers said were the bast he has faced in Scotland this year...

The SEMI is a 50/50.   I dont believe any side are favourites....

I think Rodgers was talking about how they set out  [leaving Boyata with the ball]  and maintained there shape for 50 odd minutes , they are certainly not the best team Celtic have faced in Scotland this season.

2 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

League cup v Dundee?

Morton last year :lol: 

I think our last win before that was the 2000 semi final vs Hibs (and i was too wee to go myself and no one took me :lol: )

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Morton last year :lol: 

I think our last win before that was the 2000 semi final vs Hibs (and i was too wee to go myself and no one took me :lol: )

Forgot about the Morton game ! :lol:

48 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It amuses me that people actually take the time to go away and research stuff like this.  There are actually Celtic fans out there not content with winning the league by a squillion points and being light years ahead of Rangers that still need to try and find evidence of some masonic refereeing conspiracy!! 

(PS Sheddy, I know it wasn't you who did this for the avoidance of doubt!!)

Ha ha correct it wasnt.

Hmmm...It might be amusing FB but when you see the stats it's fairly damning. The old incompetence line gets trotted out time and time again but you know what I don't buy that anymore. I've been to too many football matches and seen too many honest mistakes in my time to believe that horse sh*t. 

My club has been on the lucky end of some shocking refereeing decisions in the past (as some thistle supporters will testify) but they are few and far between. With some other clubs this stuff is way too regular so let's just call it as it is. Biased refs cheating opposing teams.

And it's not just your club FB. But they do seem to feature heavily.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Sorry for taking this Gay(ish) thread off topic, but fancy a wee Tenner that the best team that Celtic have played domestically this season pump you in the diddy cup final in 2 weeks.

Loser to pay it to TASA obviously :-)

Accepted. Not because I am sure we will win but because it's a good cause! 

37 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Ha ha correct it wasnt.

Hmmm...It might be amusing FB but when you see the stats it's fairly damning. The old incompetence line gets trotted out time and time again but you know what I don't buy that anymore. I've been to too many football matches and seen too many honest mistakes in my time to believe that horse sh*t. 

My club has been on the lucky end of some shocking refereeing decisions in the past (as some thistle supporters will testify) but they are few and far between. With some other clubs this stuff is way too regular so let's just call it as it is. Biased refs cheating opposing teams.

And it's not just your club FB. But they do seem to feature heavily.

I don't believe there's outright cheating going on. What i do think is that is easy for referees to give Rangers and Celtic the benefit of dodgy decisions. Big crowds can intimidate at the game and the media coverage afterwards makes it easy give them the benefit of any contentious decision. 

Can you imagine the hounding Beaton would be getting in the press if he'd given those 3 contentious decisions all the other way on Saturday? It'd be outrageous. Subconsciously the officials know this and it will impact every single decision they make. 

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't believe there's outright cheating going on. What i do think is that is easy for referees to give Rangers and Celtic the benefit of dodgy decisions. Big crowds can intimidate at the game and the media coverage afterwards makes it easy give them the benefit of any contentious decision. 

Can you imagine the hounding Beaton would be getting in the press if he'd given those 3 contentious decisions all the other way on Saturday? It'd be outrageous. Subconsciously the officials know this and it will impact every single decision they make. 

Ok so get refs from elsewhere to ref those games. England. It's not hard to address. Let's call time on these useless f@ckers if they can't ref a game fairly.

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Garner's assault was ridiculous, but Beaton took the easy way out because he didn't have a few thousand baying huns screaming at him from 30 feet away. I think that's pretty obvious. Pretty much the same as Craig Gordon coming out and flattening an Alloa player outside the box at Parkhead and only being yellow carded.

As to the keeper, Beaton got no help from his assistant referee regarding the handball, and even though the penalty for Rangers was soft it's easy to see why he gave it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on these two.

Edited by Rossy

30 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Ok so get refs from elsewhere to ref those games. England. It's not hard to address. Let's call time on these useless f@ckers if they can't ref a game fairly.

All those excellent referees from England...?!

Referees have a thankless task with every error highlighted and repeated and until TMO's are employed, it will continue to be the case. I can completely understand why we were awarded a penalty on Saturday and I can equally understand why Foderingham was not reprimanded (any blame lies more with the assistant than the ref for that one, imo). The fact that Sportscene had to zoom in on an apparent stamp on Toral's foot for the former and use freeze-frame for the latter is noteworthy. In real time from my view in the Club Deck, I thought it was likely Toral had been fouled because he suddenly lost his balance and his fall was unnatural and the Foderingham one was so tight it was impossible to tell with absolute certainty so to suggest that either decision was a conspiracy rather than a simple error, is just wrong.

Garner's, on the other hand, was just mind-bogglingly poor from Beaton.

In terms of punishment, send him down to the lower leagues for a couple of weeks to serve his penance (if you think the refs are bad in the top tier, the lower league ones are a whole new stratosphere of minceness).

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That makes me feel old!

:lol:

I was working at that one.

Sat in the segregation between hibs and Aberdeen fans in north stand.

In past experience that had been a pretty cushy number, but was pretty scary that day. Got spat on by a hibs fan and remember Aberdeen's goal celebrations being like a scene from braveheart with a few kilted amongst the dons charging towards the segregation.

aye Hibs have had easy run in the scottish cup last 5 out of 6 years to get to the semi's. :lol:

Last time we had to play an in form, all conquering Aberdeen in a cup tie, we turned them over pretty easily.  That team was better than the current one, likewise I think we arent as good, so should be a decent game. Havent heard any fellow Hibs fans upset about the draw.  I do hope they make it an evening tie rather than mid day, ridiculous to expect Aberdeen fans to come down in their thousands at that time.  Can imagine if its a 12 noon kick off the attendance being no more than 30k, with two thirds of that Hibees.    

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, i've only seen us win at Hampden once. We're still favourites to beat Hibs though. 

I see your once and raise you to twice. 

Im 35,that's a pathetic record :lol:

10 minutes ago, giblet said:

aye Hibs have had easy run in the scottish cup last 5 out of 6 years to get to the semi's. :lol:

Last time we had to play an in form, all conquering Aberdeen in a cup tie, we turned them over pretty easily.  That team was better than the current one, likewise I think we arent as good, so should be a decent game. Havent heard any fellow Hibs fans upset about the draw.  I do hope they make it an evening tie rather than mid day, ridiculous to expect Aberdeen fans to come down in their thousands at that time.  Can imagine if its a 12 noon kick off the attendance being no more than 30k, with two thirds of that Hibees.    

Two seasons ago? Three seasons ago?

I can assure you that the team we have now is a lot better than that one. 

Thats not me saying we'll win easily,just saying you're wrong. 

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

One every 17.5 years. That's a no bad record... I'm 30 this year and have only had 1. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Two seasons ago? Three seasons ago?

I can assure you that the team we have now is a lot better than that one. 

Thats not me saying we'll win easily,just saying you're wrong. 

er, it was last season.

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

All those excellent referees from England...?!

Referees have a thankless task with every error highlighted and repeated and until TMO's are employed, it will continue to be the case. I can completely understand why we were awarded a penalty on Saturday and I can equally understand why Foderingham was not reprimanded (any blame lies more with the assistant than the ref for that one, imo). The fact that Sportscene had to zoom in on an apparent stamp on Toral's foot for the former and use freeze-frame for the latter is noteworthy. In real time from my view in the Club Deck, I thought it was likely Toral had been fouled because he suddenly lost his balance and his fall was unnatural and the Foderingham one was so tight it was impossible to tell with absolute certainty so to suggest that either decision was a conspiracy rather than a simple error, is just wrong.

Garner's, on the other hand, was just mind-bogglingly poor from Beaton.

In terms of punishment, send him down to the lower leagues for a couple of weeks to serve his penance (if you think the refs are bad in the top tier, the lower league ones are a whole new stratosphere of minceness).

I am down other end of Govan and thought Foderingham handled outside the box, so really surprised it wasn't seen clearly.  Agree it was the linesman that should have seen it though.

Agree with you on the penalty.

I think Garners was a yellow at most, therefore ref got it right.  Looked a hell of a lot worse than it actually was because of the big swipe.

What about the obvious pulling of shirts etc, a few times by them?  Ref got a lot more wrong than has been mentioned.  Terrible performance for both teams.

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

I think Garners was a yellow at most, therefore ref got it right.  Looked a hell of a lot worse than it actually was because of the big swipe.

You've got to be at the wind up!

:shocked:

I can see how the midweek red for Kiernan is open for debate, as in days gone by it was a yellow, but Garners would've been a red card in the 70s!

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

You've got to be at the wind up!

:shocked:

I can see how the midweek red for Kiernan is open for debate, as in days gone by it was a yellow, but Garners would've been a red card in the 70s!

Nah, disagree.  He missed everything and his thigh banged into his backside.  Def not a red.  Ref got it right.  I don't think Keirnans was a red either.  Both I thought were a red live, but not once I seen them on the tele.