Patriotic Myth - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Patriotic Myth

Surely we are now the strongest member of the union. The only nation where the people voted for the union. Whilst England , Wales and northern Ireland are locked into a union they never voted for

Nearly half of us wanted out and that number is only going to grow so Nah

Guest faircity

How many times have we heard that the North of Scotland is where the patriotic Scots come from ? I have said it myself as I was brought up there and have now been proven wrong. Well when it came to the crunch they bottled it. The most patriot Scots are from Glasgow, Dundee, west Dunbarton and Croy shire. The proof is in the pudding. Doricland words fail me and to make matters worse it is an SNP stronghold !!!!

At the same time though, the biggest shower of arseholes in Scotland happen to reside in and around Glasgow, as witnessed last night. Difficult to categorise areas in such a way.

Surely we are now the strongest member of the union. The only nation where the people voted for the union. Whilst England , Wales and northern Ireland are locked into a union they never voted for

Iam too worn out to argue with you but think you will find that the rest do not need a vote to stay in the union.

They happy there.

Like it or not it's our country too and we have a right to a say in its future.

You do have that right and I accept the vote.

I find it very hard at this moment to call it a ''country'' though and sorry, if this sounds very harsh, but its because of you voting no (if you did indeed do that).

I know we have debated every issue over last 2 years. I agree we are now tired of the arguments. I am sure some feel sorry for us but over the last few days I have had a genuine sympathy for many yes voters, some family even some on this board. My vision did not agree with theirs but my love of Scotland does.

Like it or not it's our country too and we have a right to a say in its future.

This is true. It is not 1940s Germany. Democracy means that everyone is entitled to their different point of view

The No voters voted for Scotland not to be a country in the proper meaning and they would be respected better if they just admitted that

This is true. It is not 1940s Germany. Democracy means that everyone is entitled to their different point of view

The No voters voted for Scotland not to be a country in the proper meaning and they would be respected better if they just admitted that

That's a great post & I'm sharing that - thank you

So is Dundee the new cradle of scottish patriotism? Is it the spirit of Bannockburn crying out in their hearts or is it possibly just a case of a dismal,squalid, wretched and socially blighted piece of urban wreckage crying out for someone to put it out of its collective misery?

If they want to dream that Dundee will be any less of a shytehole under Alex Salmond's governance than it is under David Cameron then far be it from me to try and shatter their delusions but I'm not going to swallow the fiction of some kind of highminded patriotic idealism on the part of Scotland's bleakest little corner.

They deserve our pity but admiration doesn't come in to it.

Guest Extreme0

Anything is better under Alex Salmond's governance then Callmedave.

...not that I like Salmond. Not a big fan of him but to say Callmedave would be a better choice would be like holding a sign up high in the middle of glasgow with the words "I'm a tory."

“In every Scottish brain, there has been a tiny blue-and-white cell which secretes an awareness: ‘My country was independent once.’ And every so often, the cell has transmitted a minute, almost imperceptible pulse: ‘Would it not be grand, if one day … ’ But this stimulated other larger, higher-voltage cells around it to emit suppressor charges: ‘Are you daft? Get real; we’re too wee, too poor, that shite’s for Wembley or the movies.’ One way of describing what’s happening now is to say that the reaction of these inhibitor cells has grown weak and erratic. Whereas the other pulse, the blue-white one, is transmitting louder, faster, more insistently. This is why the real referendum question is no longer: ‘Can we become independent?’ It is: ‘Yes, we know that we can – but do we want to?’”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2014/sep/16/-sp-is-this-the-end-of-britishness