Robbie Neilson to Dons? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Robbie Neilson to Dons?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

a decent article by Ewan

Yup. He's able to form logical and insightful arguments and even write in proper paragraphs. Robert Grieve, take note. 

I'd just reiterate that there is a fair element of risk in this. It looks ambitious and even shows quite a bit of vision, I obviously hope it is successful, and it is so much better than having one of the usual suspects churned out again. But he's relatively unproven, and there are a lot out there who will be looking for any opportunity to get on his back, not just brain dead morons like Boyd, Fullarton and that Sun hack. Comparable really to the boners that will have been evidence in the offices of the BBC and The Scotsman when the PISA test report was published today. There are a few regular posters on here too who must be finding it hard to see positive things being said about Hearts.

Edited by Pool Q

On 03/12/2016 at 9:51 AM, Parklife said:

The best thing about was that Fullerton was talking complete shite. Cathro takes training at Newcastle all the time. 

Anyone who thinks a world class manager like benetiz would suffer fools is an imbicile. 

As good a 'trainer' as he might be who's to say he'll be a good manager? A good few of that ilk have failed to make the transition.

Don't get me wrong I know he's got proven coaching skills but there appears to be a wankfest already that he's the next SAF.

18 minutes ago, macy37 said:

As good a 'trainer' as he might be who's to say he'll be a good manager? A good few of that ilk have failed to make the transition.

Don't get me wrong I know he's got proven coaching skills but there appears to be a wankfest already that he's the next SAF.

There's not. You've just made that up. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

There's not. You've just made that up. 

Here along with media are telling us what a fantastic appointment he is and how it's great to see. 

It's a gamble. It might pay off, it might not. He has no pedigree in management yet there is a wankfest. 

11 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Here along with media are telling us what a fantastic appointment he is and how it's great to see. 

It's a gamble. It might pay off, it might not. He has no pedigree in management yet there is a wankfest. 

Its great to see Hearts picking 2 young, well thought of coaches to work under Levein. Hearts were always going to do that as they did with Neilson rather than go with a Houston or a Pressley, they would have promoted Daly or Kirk but Levein thought it was too soon for them.

The Neilson gamble certainly paid off and I remember the same kind of outcry from the same sections of the media when Budge and Levein came in and got rid of Locke and Billy Brown and a lot of the senior players.

20 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Every appointment Hearts could've made would've been "a gamble" as they can't afford to go and hire Pep Guardiola. 

The media are praising the vision and bravery of appointing a young, highly regarded, Scottish coach. One who's worked at a very high level. No one is making him out to be the next SAF. You seem to view things in absolutes and extremes. Not everything is. 

For Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers, 2nd place and a cup would be considered a very successful season.  2nd place for Cathro would be a fair accomplishment this season.

Celtic will win the league comfortably for at least the next 5 years(10 years more than a possibility) as no one has the means to challenge them.

12 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

What would Hearts fans consider a success under Cathro? Its a brave move for him because with Celtic so dominant and a poor Rangers currently second but probably getting better next year, is third place a success?  A bit of silverware? Finishing above Aberdeen?

I would be absolutely delighted with second place and the Scottish Cup.

I would be happy with third place, a cup final, getting the main stand finished on time and bringing in a few new young faces for the first team including a goalkeeper.

14 hours ago, macy37 said:

no there isn't - quite the opposite. He has been slated by most of the media because he doesn't fit the mould of the dinosaurs who are currently doing such a stunning job of producing talented Scottish players.

correct - it might pay off, it might not. like any other young manager.  just cos he doesn't live by the largs book of sh*te coaching doesn't mean he should be slagged off before he has had a chance.

jesus wept.

1 hour ago, hannibal smith said:

I would be absolutely delighted with second place and the Scottish Cup.

I would be happy with third place, a cup final, getting the main stand finished on time and bringing in a few new young faces for the first team including a goalkeeper.

if I was you id be delighted with just consolidating. finishing in top 3 and some good cup runs, while he builds a base of talented youngsters. it will take a bit of time.

For this season and next I'd have thought 2nd and a decent cup run (final or semi-final) would be a reasonable goal. Not saying we should in any way expect this, but it's what we should be aiming for and working towards. Neilson leaving and being replaced by Cathro could be unsettling, but that seems to have been handled pretty well by Levein and Budge. Clearly only time will tell if Cathro is the right choice. Off the field, it's all about getting the new stand built and securing the financial base of the club, and that at least looks to be in good hands. There's a lot going on, but it feels like it is being well managed.

An imaginative appointment by the jambos. From what I've seen they're well placed to finish above a gutless Aberdeen side and  maybe Sevco but Cathro will need time to put his own stamp on it.

The January window might actually be interesting for once!

8 hours ago, ShedTA said:

no there isn't - quite the opposite. He has been slated by most of the media because he doesn't fit the mould of the dinosaurs who are currently doing such a stunning job of producing talented Scottish players.

correct - it might pay off, it might not. like any other young manager.  just cos he doesn't live by the largs book of sh*te coaching doesn't mean he should be slagged off before he has had a chance.

jesus wept.

Your media reading is clearly different to mine. This place apart that is.

Im a Dunfermline fan, but really, really hope he's a success at Hearts. Cannot abide the parochial and archaic attitude of some in Scottish football and it would be great if he can prove them wrong. It's obviously a risk but no more so than any other management appointment these days IMO. There's a pretty high turn over of managers these days most of whom with vast experience so I think too much is made of experience when it comes to success and failure of a management. 

Heard him talk or read an article (cant remember) where he outlined his plans for the team and he certainly talks a fantastic game. Wants his team to press high, go for the win, expects players to be incredibly fit, etc. Was certainly better than the usual cliche-ridden, meaningless guff you get from "experienced" managers.

Biggest risk is something that others have pointed out - what would constitute success at a club where (with all due respect) they are pretty close to hitting a glass ceiling already? I think a decent stab at it would be stability for the next 3/4 years - consistent top six finishing, some decent cup runs - but Im not sure others would see that as success. Where he could make a huge difference is bringing through younger/unknown players and selling them on at a profit for the club. If he can consolidate the youth system them have and take it to next level, I'd argue that's just as important as short-term wins.

And that's where he and McPhinn might have a bigger impact on Scottish Football than as SFA Performance Directors. Had they gone to the SFA, there's a danger the ambition and impact would be strangled out of them and they'd really struggle to make it work in an organisation that, let's be honest, is not fit for purpose but is untouchable. If they can make it work at Hearts and challenge the orthodoxy in Scottish Football, it would hopefully be a blueprint for others to follow in Scotland.

It has been interesting following this over the past few days. The appointment of Cathro and MacPhee seems to have been broadly welcomed by the supporters of many clubs (even if they dislike Hearts) as a forward thinking appointment that might (just might) be the start of some sort of effort to move our club game as a whole out of the footballing dark ages. It might not work of course, but most people seem to view it as, at the very least, a worthwhile effort. Not everyone will be able (or want) to put club rivalries aside enough to wish Cathro and wish Hearts well, why should they? But just about everyone can see something really has to be done with our game. What is obvious is that those most opposed to Cathro are those in the footballing establishment here, notably the journeymen players and ex-players who like things as they are and fear change, and see people like Cathro as a threat to their existence in the game. It feels like the pals of this lot in too much of our media are very much still on their side too, and I'd say they will go after Cathro hard if he doesn't get off to a good start. Much of the commentary from sundry experts and pundits has been arsewateringly poor, short-sighted and just plain dumb. We are used to that, but the past few days have brought it into sharper focus.

25 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

No, damn I missed it. I try to catch everything Kris says. do enlighten me?

"Fur me, it disnae mat'r how good ye ur at any hin, if ye cannae communicate, it's a massive problem"

:lol:

Boyd actually comes across relatively well up to a point and is normally relatively articulate on the tv and radio, if not amazingly insightful.

Until the bit about him being Leveins "boy" Boyd was probably winning the argument, at that point it starts to make him sound a bit bitter.

20 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

"Fur me, it disnae mat'r how good ye ur at any hin, if ye cannae communicate, it's a massive problem"

:lol:

Boyd actually comes across relatively well up to a point and is normally relatively articulate on the tv and radio, if not amazingly insightful.

Until the bit about him being Leveins "boy" Boyd was probably winning the argument, at that point it starts to make him sound a bit bitter.

thanks. not really sure if I am glad I missed it now or not.