Scotland Players In Action - Page 71 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally if he got himself into a goal scoring position then strikers instinct would take over..... but his job that night was to hold the ball up, and let the midfielders get forward.

This doesn't only apply to Griffiths, as Fletcher is being asked to do the same job..... since Strachan took over how many of our strikers have scored? Nasimith was playing behind the main striker in Poland, so does not really count, but Fletcher, Griffiths, Martin etc have all yet to find the net under Strachan, and also this is part of the reason Rhodes is out of the picture.... and why Strachan is trying to sell us Chris Martin on the basis he can hold the ball up, make space and set things up for others (but I have yet to see this of him while in a Scotland shirt.........)

I'd argue that Steven Fletcher hasn't scored because we lacked a cutting edge up front and the team didn't create enough chances against Georgia; he also has only one foot so couldn't take his chance against Ireland.

Likewise I'd argue the Chris Martin missed a sitter against Ireland and was too laborious in general to take up good attack positions to get another chance in the games he's played.

That's the reasons they've scored 0 goals this campaign, as opposed to how Strachan wants them to play.

I'm sure Strachan wants them to score goals as well as link-up with the attacking midfielders, not instead of.

I'd argue that Steven Fletcher hasn't scored because we lacked a cutting edge up front and the team didn't create enough chances against Georgia; he also has only one foot so couldn't take his chance against Ireland.

Likewise I'd argue the Chris Martin missed a sitter against Ireland and was too laborious in general to take up good attack positions to get another chance in the games he's played.

That's the reasons they've scored 0 goals this campaign, as opposed to how Strachan wants them to play.

I'm sure Strachan wants them to score goals as well as link-up with the attacking midfielders, not instead of.

But Fletcher has that link-up play about him. It was his cracking through ball that set up Anya V Germany and I am sure he has set-up another goal for us in this campaign already. That puts him above Chris Martin and is playing at a higher level.

But Fletcher has that link-up play about him. It was his cracking through ball that set up Anya V Germany and I am sure he has set-up another goal for us in this campaign already. That puts him above Chris Martin and is playing at a higher level.

Yeah the long switch to I think anya? before he squared to maloney against Poland. I'd personally stick with Fletcher and as I've said before, I'd love to see just a 45 minute period of him and Gauld to see how they'd do together, both extremely intelligent footballers. This isn't a criticism of Steven naismith, he's my favourite player of all in our squad at the moment. Second name on my team sheet after Brown

Well however Gordon plays it is up to him but surely he must be concerned by the lack of goalscoring from our strikers. For some time now we have relied heavily on goals from attacking midfielders such as Maloney, Anya, Snodgrass, Morrison etc etc etc. Perhaps he should contemplate playing Fletcher AND Naismith up front.

Well however Gordon plays it is up to him but surely he must be concerned by the lack of goalscoring from our strikers. For some time now we have relied heavily on goals from attacking midfielders such as Maloney, Anya, Snodgrass, Morrison etc etc etc. Perhaps he should contemplate playing Fletcher AND Naismith up front.

In these 2 games, that would work. However, we want to give the players as much experience playing the usual system as possible. I don't think we'll struggle to score in either game.

But I would love to see 45mins of Watt, Gauld, GMS and Armstrong, as they might end up being our front 4 in the next few years.

I've not seen an awful lot of Hearts this season but is Danny Wilson starting to look like he could he called up again?

I'd start Martin & Berra in the upcoming games. Hanley in the squad with one other option. Greer or a younger option. Souttar? Wilson? Cooper?

Somebody needs to explain the little love affair that appears to be growing for Griffiths on here...............desperation possibly?

Well we are desperately short on the ground for in form strikers hence he comes into the reckoning on form alone. Martin has had his chances and not taken them so that eliminates him (as far as I am concerned) so who else is there yelling to be called up as striker for us who is in form?

Well we are desperately short on the ground for in form strikers hence he comes into the reckoning on form alone. Martin has had his chances and not taken them so that eliminates him (as far as I am concerned) so who else is there yelling to be called up as striker for us who is in form?

What has he scored this season? 10 in 25 maybe? Form? He's playing up front for a team that naturally creates a damn sight more than other clubs so I wouldn't call that form really.

We are short but calling up a guy who's not exactly belting them in at not a great standard is one thing but his play during games does not fill me with confidence.He is no Pele that is for sure. :)

What has he scored this season? 10 in 25 maybe? Form? He's playing up front for a team that naturally creates a damn sight more than other clubs so I wouldn't call that form really.

We are short but calling up a guy who's not exactly belting them in at not a great standard is one thing but his play during games does not fill me with confidence.He is no Pele that is for sure. :)

Well feel free to offer up otions of other Scottish strikers in better form. And I do see where you are coming from as I don't see him as the answer either but all it shows is how weak we are in that department at the moment.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I don't think we need 4 top class strikers. We need 1 on the park at any given time and we've got Fletcher and Naismith who both fit the bill.

Behind them we need good attacking players, and we're actually pretty well stocked for them. That attacking midfield role has a bunch of contenders for it..

Maloney, Russell, Naismith (if not playing up top) Gauld, Snodgrass and Mossison. You can throw in Dorrans, Byrson and Bannan too, while some have said Cairney as well.

Edited by andyD

Well feel free to offer up otions of other Scottish strikers in better form. And I do see where you are coming from as I don't see him as the answer either but all it shows is how weak we are in that department at the moment.

He doesn't, for me, fit the way WGS plays. Hell even a Hooper would mange ten times better but sadly he's one of them.

It does certainly highlight our shortcomings and I fear it will be a shortcoming that will cost us.

He doesn't, for me, fit the way WGS plays. Hell even a Hooper would mange ten times better but sadly he's one of them.

It does certainly highlight our shortcomings and I fear it will be a shortcoming that will cost us.

And in that answer you have answered my question really that there are no other options out there. I do agree I don't see Griffiths as being the answer to our problems but we are so thin on the ground that is why he is in the reckoning.

Donald Love playing for Man Utd 21s tonight. Looks decent on the ball, have seen him playing right back but in the middle as Rafael is playing right back.

Profile on the United website

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/Reserves/Donald-Love.aspx

Seems highly rated enough but very injury prone.

At 20 years old with no first team football experience, he should be looking for a loan move very soon. Will be interesting to see how he gets on if he can beat the injuries.

Jamie Mackie scored both goals for Reading last night.

He's now scored all 4 of Readings goals in their last 5 games.

Bradford cup game he was used more as a winger (actually didn't play all that bad, and the Reading fans were cheering his every touch and chanting his name throughout the game).