Terry Pratchett - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Terry Pratchett

The end of an era has come. Death has finally knocked on the door of terry Pratchett's. Loved his books his vision of disk world sucked me in. I think ever commander vimes will have a tear in his eye

I've been reading his books since they first appeared in paperback. My favourite author bar none.

Knew he was ill but still shocked that he's gone.

I will think of him every time I start a new book now.

Sad to say, I've never read one of his books.

Put off by the thought of goblins and gnomes - I can't stand Lord of the Rings for instance, but he seemed like a good lad and said to be a good read.

Where should I start?

Was thinking of Truckers: First book of the gnomes (despite what I said).

Gutted at this news. I met him when I was 13 in Waterstones in Bath. He was infectious. Bought Mort that day.

Such a great writer, with a unique outlook to life and in his writing.

He will be sadly missed.

Brilliant tweets even at the very end.

@terryandrob: AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

@terryandrob: Terry took Deaths arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

@terryandrob: The End.

RIP

J

Put off by the thought of goblins and gnomes - I can't stand Lord of the Rings for instance, but he seemed like a good lad and said to be a good read.

Where should I start?

Start at the start mate. The Colour of Magic.

J

Where should I start?

Start with "Guards, Guards!!". It's not the first discworld book but it's one of the early ones and it's a magnificent story which will make you laugh out loud. Be careful reading it on public transport, you'll get odd looks.

Start with "Guards, Guards!!". It's not the first discworld book but it's one of the early ones and it's a magnificent story which will make you laugh out loud. Be careful reading it on public transport, you'll get odd looks.

Good shout. Very good story and introduces you to one of my favourite characters, Sam Vimes.

J

Where should I start?

I've got tonnes I could lend you but, although I've read Guards Guards! I must have borrowed that off my sister - or I've given it away in one of my clear outs. He was an incredibly prolific writer - last book was published last summer I believe. All are totally brilliant!

Cheers folks, I've been struggling with testing myself on intellectual stuff like Kafka (something about a lazy creepy crawly) and Henry Miller (filth), not yet tried Dostoyevsky - probably 'cause they were all free downloads, so now in need of a laugh. You'll know what I mean Jen!

RIP T.P. you obviously gave a hell of a lot of people great pleasure.

Cheers folks, I've been struggling with testing myself on intellectual stuff like Kafka (something about a lazy creepy crawly) and Henry Miller (filth), not yet tried Dostoyevsky - probably 'cause they were all free downloads, so now in need of a laugh. You'll know what I mean Jen!

RIP T.P. you obviously gave a hell of a lot of people great pleasure.

I do indeed! And just to clarify for anyone still swithering...Terry Pratchett's novels are absolutely nothing like Lord of the Rings. They are totally bonkers, laugh out loud, works of genius!

I can still remember the moment I fell in love with the mans work. At the recommendation of my creative writing teacher, I trotted off to the library to lift out 'The Colour of Magic', but when I got there the lovely librarian, a friend of the family recommended I start with 'Mort', as the first two books follow on from each other, and the next book 'equal rites' was in her words "a bit of hard work for a young boy like you, it's all about girls!". Off I popped back home and devoured the first few glorious chapters until I reached the exchange between Mort and Death that made me want to read every single word the man had written, and would ever write:

“What are we going to do now?”

BUY YOU SOME NEW CLOTHES.

“These were new today—yesterday, I mean.”

REALLY?

“Father said the shop was famous for its budget clothing,” said Mort, running to keep up.

IT CERTAINLY ADDS A NEW TERROR TO POVERTY.

Where should I start?

As folk have said start with guards,guards or Mort first. Both are great books and easy to read. They also introduce some of the best characters in the books from death to Sam comes to carrot. And yes be very careful reading them on public transport as you will laugh out loud as you read them

I have The Long Mars sitting on my bedside table in my "to read" pile and I've just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep.

I can't bring myself to start on Long Mars now despite really looking forward to it. It's the only STP book that I haven't read yet.

Every birthday and Christmas has been marked by me getting the new STP book. I'm going to miss the great man's mad view of our strange world.

Brilliant tweets even at the very end.

@terryandrob: AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

@terryandrob: Terry took Deaths arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

@terryandrob: The End.

That is absolute class.

Got into his books in a big way in my teens............. I actually preferred the Nome Trilogy (Truckers-Diggers-Wings) to Discworld, but some of my all time favorite books are in that series (Though mainly the Death series, with Mort my personally favorite, but also love Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Maskerade etc....)

Remember I did Mort for my book review in school..... still recall my teacher rolling her eyes into the back of her head when I sat down to tell her what I had picked, and moaned "oh God, not a Terry Pratchett book!".... though when we got a new teacher a few weeks later he was different (he was a bit hippy-ish) and was like "Wow!!! a Terry Pratchet book.... Mort? Fantastic choice! Good stuff" :-))

RIP Terry