World Cup Qualifying Group F Discussion - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Qualifying Group F Discussion

Ak91

2 hours ago, todd said:

Exactly.  Wales draw at home to Georgia and it's described as "A bump in the road".  We draw with Lithuania and "That's it, World cup over.  Let's blood the youngsters and start planning for the Euros, blah, blah, blah." 

Ha yes there is a tendency to overreact at times. But Wales are in a better place than us, so to speak.

2 hours ago, todd said:

Exactly.  Wales draw at home to Georgia and it's described as "A bump in the road".  We draw with Lithuania and "That's it, World cup over.  Let's blood the youngsters and start planning for the Euros, blah, blah, blah." 

There is a wee bit of a difference in the roads that Wales and Scotland have been travelling along in recent years, though. Theirs is a shiny new well tarmaced road with signposts to "Hope" and "Optimism", whilst ours has been full of pot holes and big steaming piles of horse shit. What have you seen in recent years (or what substances have you taken;)) which makes you think we have even the slightest chance of finishing above Slovenia or Slovakia? Did you watch the game last night?

4 hours ago, Ak91 said:

After last nights disappointing draw with Lithuania I'm interested in finding out where everybody thinks we will end up in this group. At the start of every campaign I like to do a prediction for each game in our group and a final table of where I think we will finish. 

From now now until the end I reckon the results will be: 

Slovakia  Away - D

England Away   - L

Slovenia Home - W

England Home -  L

Lithuania Away -  W. Whhhaaattttttt

Malta Home      - W

Slovakia Home  - D

Slovenia Away.  - D

This would leave us with 16 points which I think would possibly be enough for us to sneak into 2nd place however I think 16 points would not be enough to secure a play off position. 

See my whhhhaaaatttt comment above 

12 hours ago, Ak91 said:

After last nights disappointing draw with Lithuania I'm interested in finding out where everybody thinks we will end up in this group. At the start of every campaign I like to do a prediction for each game in our group and a final table of where I think we will finish. 

From now now until the end I reckon the results will be: 

Slovakia  Away - D

England Away   - L

Slovenia Home - W

England Home -  L

Lithuania Away -  W

Malta Home      - W

Slovakia Home  - D

Slovenia Away.  - D

This would leave us with 16 points which I think would possibly be enough for us to sneak into 2nd place however I think 16 points would not be enough to secure a play off position. 

Average though results like those would be, there's no real precedent under Strachan to even be that optimistic.

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Lithuania looked a well drilled team, deserving of their unbeaten status. Worth noting that but for 2 last minute goals they would be joint top with England. 

Don't be so f'ing reasonable. It's a pishy wee poor country with a funny name and a multi coloured flag. We should be putting 5 past them. In the first half.

Like many I thought we would beat Lithuania the other night. When draw was made, I worried about Lithuania away being the Georgia-esque moment in this campaign and I believe this will be a very tough game for us. Scotland still capable of producing surprising results of both negative and positive variety. Would love to beat England and be unbeaten against them but it would be horrendous to beat them and not qualify. 

Bottom line is I now think we will finish second and that will take some great results. I think we will play better away from Hampden when less is expected. Our defending needs to improve as in right now.

17 hours ago, todd said:

16 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

What was even more noticeable, is that the Welsh fans didn't boo their players after, or during, the game either...

:lol: Wales have just been to the semi-finals of the Euros. They've earned enough credit to get some slack after a pishy performance. 

Their manager also accepted it wasn't good enough and said he'll keep pushing his players to be better. Our manager insulted our intelligence by claiming we played well, were unlucky and that our lone striker was outstanding. 

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

:lol: Wales have just been to the semi-finals of the Euros. They've earned enough credit to get some slack after a pishy performance. 

Their manager also accepted it wasn't good enough and said he'll keep pushing his players to be better. Our manager insulted our intelligence by claiming we played well, were unlucky and that our lone striker was outstanding. 

The Coleman interview afterwards highlighted how arrogant, incorrect and frustrating Strachans post match interview was.

When we lose in Slovakia, which I now think we will, his post match interview, which will no doubt be ridiculous again, should and probably will be his last.

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

When we lose in Slovakia, which I now think we will, his post match interview, which will no doubt be ridiculous again, should and probably will be his last.

I doubt it. Put Strachan together with McGhee, and we have perfect storm of oblivious to reality, single-minded, deluded, head in the sand erseholes. Don't forget McGhee is the man who refused to step down at Pittodrie after being humiliated by his beloved Celtic.

Strachan will have to be crowbarred out of the door, and I doubt very much...regardless of results and performances....that there's the mental fortitude or will in the SFA to do that.

Maybe at the point where the Scottish media eventually turn on him, but not before.

Edited by Rossy

18 hours ago, todd said:

Bugger!  So close to being a relatively positive thread.

Jings, sorry, I hadn't realised that only positive responses were allowed on this thread!

It's only my opinion but I don't think the current side is good enough to finish in the top 2 in this group.  I hope I'm wrong, but results in qualifiers over the past ten years tell me otherwise and Saturday night - scraping a draw in what should have been one of the most straightforward games in the group - has done little to persuade me that we've turned a corner.

21 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Wales have shown they can pick up results when it matters. They have given their fans confidence that they can recover from this. When was the last time we beat a decent team when it mattered? As fans (and I'm talking about the fans that have a clue about the game) we have been proved right time and time again that we aren't good enough and no amount of 'positivity' is going to fix that. Indeed, blind faith is probably one of the major reasons we've not improved as we've not demanded it. We follow regardless of how poor the team is, how poor we are treated as fans and how little is being done to change things. 

Quite right!  Negativity is the way forward. No solutions, no alternatives, and a demand that our players just be better.  Sorted!

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

Jings, sorry, I hadn't realised that only positive responses were allowed on this thread!

It's only my opinion but I don't think the current side is good enough to finish in the top 2 in this group.  I hope I'm wrong, but results in qualifiers over the past ten years tell me otherwise and Saturday night - scraping a draw in what should have been one of the most straightforward games in the group - has done little to persuade me that we've turned a corner.

Seriously!

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

There is a wee bit of a difference in the roads that Wales and Scotland have been travelling along in recent years, though. Theirs is a shiny new well tarmaced road with signposts to "Hope" and "Optimism", whilst ours has been full of pot holes and big steaming piles of horse shit. What have you seen in recent years (or what substances have you taken;)) which makes you think we have even the slightest chance of finishing above Slovenia or Slovakia? Did you watch the game last night?

Yeah, you're right mate.  Let's just chuck it and not bother watching.  How can we possibly finish above Slovakia or Slovenia? That's surely impossible!  And yes, I did watch the game but why do you even bother?

9 hours ago, Rossy said:

I doubt it. Put Strachan together with McGhee, and we have perfect storm of oblivious to reality, single-minded, deluded, head in the sand erseholes. Don't forget McGhee is the man who refused to step down at Pittodrie after being humiliated by his beloved Celtic.

Strachan will have to be crowbarred out of the door, and I doubt very much...regardless of results and performances....that there's the mental fortitude or will in the SFA to do that.

Maybe at the point where the Scottish media eventually turn on him, but not before.

I dunno. Give him his due, at Boro he walked when it wasn't working for him, don't recall there being any mutual consent nonsense as the norm. Always thought he deserved great credit fir that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he walks when he admits the ship is sinking, I don't foresee a levein-esque severance saga.