Next Poll - Page 31 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, because it ends up being run by the Murdochs of this world and a non stop run to the lowest common denominator.

Even with a state broadcaster that has already happened.

Of all the meetings that cabinet ministers had with News International executives (on average, a member of the cabinet met a Murdoch executive every three days), it is Michael Gove's that are the most eye catching. The Education Secretary listed 11 meetings at which executives from the company were present, including seven with Rupert Murdoch. Gove met the News Corp head more times than any other minister and had dinner with him twice last month.

Here's the full list:
It all suggests, as Andy Burnham said, a rather strange set of priorities. The shadow education secretary noted that in his first seven months, Gove "didn't manage to visit a single sixth form college, further education college or special school.""

People 65+ represent just 22% of the electorate. I noticed in one recent poll Yes was ahead in every age group except 65+. I guess pollsters weight the results to take account of this the same as they do with previous voting patterns?

They should do as polling companies. Point is a facebook poll won't do that so you'd expect 'yes' to be higher.

Cheers fadiator, it was a related question, not specifically on the back of the Facebook numbers. I was trying to establish in my mind if its really that much of a problem that we seem to be behind with age 65+ if they only represent 22% of the electorate. I get that they maybe have a higher propensity to vote in regular elections but feel that may be negated a bit in the referendum as overall turnout is likely to be much higher anyway.

Cheers fadiator, it was a related question, not specifically on the back of the Facebook numbers. I was trying to establish in my mind if its really that much of a problem that we seem to be behind with age 65+ if they only represent 22% of the electorate. I get that they maybe have a higher propensity to vote in regular elections but feel that may be negated a bit in the referendum as overall turnout is likely to be much higher anyway.

I'm no expert on polls, but agree the higher the turnout the more chance of the 65+ vote being diluted. It might even be the key determining factor...

My old dear at the age of 75 got tore into one of her pals.Telling her she planned to be around for another few years and she had her grand kids to think off thats why she is voting YES. She is currently cutting about with a bag of YES car stickers putting them on bus shelters.

Edited by Jacobite

Yeah the main reason the 65+ vote is feared is because they get out and vote when other demographics can't be arsed or become disenchanted. This is not particularly relevant this time as most demographics can be arsed and are super up for it.

Aye, but obviously if the other age groups end up marginally 'yes' and the +65 2:1 'no' then there's a problem...

Aye, but obviously if the other age groups end up marginally 'yes' and the +65 2:1 'no' then there's a problem...

Assuming turnout was the same under and over age 65, it would need to be about 55% Yes for the 'unders' to mitigate the effect of a 2:1 split for the 'overs'.

(55% x 78%) + (33% x 22%) = 50.16%

Its only one strand of the overall picture, though.

My old dear at the age of 75 got tore into one of her pals.Telling her she planned to be around for another few years and she had her grand kids to think off thats why she is voting YES. She is currently cutting about with a bag of YES car stickers putting them on bus shelters.

Good for her. :ok: That's the kind of attitude that is going to win this. I hope you enjoy celebrating with her after we win.

Edited by Orraloon