League Cup 2016/17 - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Cup 2016/17

21 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

One of the quirks of newco TAMB is that it doesn't show you messages that were posted as you typed.

I'd include neutral venues, as it makes the stats worse!

Easter road, Ibrox and Hampden x4?

So only left Glasgow once? Presume you got "the Rangers end" at Hampden all 4 times? I hope Peterhead lay claim to "the Peterhead end" if they ever play Celtic at Hampden, after all, they've always had that end....

(random bug bear shoehorned in...)

Lost at Easter Road, Ibrox and twice at Hampden. Regardless of whether it's in Glasgow or not, our results at neutral venues haven't suggested that we've had any kind of 'home' advantage. If one of the neutral venues was Celtic Park would you consider that a 'home' game for us?

Not sure what point you're trying to make when including the neutral venues, to be honest. The question posed was following the suggesting that Rangers tend to get more than their fair share of home cup ties. Not sure the facts back it up. It's like the myth that Rangers get hunners of penalties when we went almost a calendar year without getting one.

Edited by thewolf_1980

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

The question posed was following the suggesting that Rangers tend to get more than their fair share of home cup ties. Not sure the facts concur with that insinuation.

Surely 23/16 is more than their fair share?

:lol:

I have no point if I'm honest. Rangers got a piss easy draw in Peterhead at home (no offence Peterhead fans) and I'm jealous.

The neutral venue thing is more of a general bugbear of mine. Particularly Rangers and Celtic having their own ends at Hampden.

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I have no point if I'm honest. Rangers got a piss easy draw in Peterhead at home (no offence Peterhead fans) and I'm jealous.

The neutral venue thing is more of a general bugbear of mine. Particularly Rangers and Celtic having their own ends at Hampden.

I'd have happily had Motherwell away again. Almost a bye this season. ? 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'd have happily had Motherwell away again. Almost a bye this season. ? 

Like 15 out the last 16 seasons!

Excluding the play off victory, our record v Rangers is utterly honking!

Fortunately we'll always have that 6-1.

:P

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That's why I said, "not sure". ;)

I'm not denying that 23/16 is a decent home/away split but I don't think it's ridiculously biased to one side. Some were suggesting that they couldn't remember when we last had an away cup tie when it was as long ago as... February!

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

We've had two away cup ties this season already...! ;)

As a sadsack, I thought I'd research our home/away record in cup ties since season 2012-13 when, of course, football actually begun for us Rangers fans (apparently). Excluding cup ties held in neutral venues but including replays, the record is 23 home ties and 16 away. you can deduce your own conclusions from those facts; some will think there is an obvious and suspect bent towards home fixtures whilst the sane ones will consider that it's just the luck of the draw.

Surprised that the normally reliable factmeister Sevco Sheddy has forgotten a certain cup tie against the lower-league Dundee Irrelevant FC back in the 2013 glory days when we suffered a humping. That, as far as I could tell, was an away cup tie.

On a serious note, is it 23/16? Fair enough. Need to heat that ball a bit more in future! 

Edited by ShedTA

Just saw the draw for the last 16 and thought "Where the feck are St Mirren"?

I assumed 9 points would have been enough for top 2, should have paid more attention.

3 wins out of 4 and still get knocked out, p!sh competition this.:mad:

What I've noticed about Rangers cup draws, and I might be imagining it, is that they were rarely drawn away to a top league team. I can remember Dundee Utd and that's it. I don't know if the challenge cup was included in those stats but it would be interesting to see just scottish cup and league cup stats. Also their home and away draw ratio to top league teams. Might just be in my head but it seemed very lop sided against top league teams.

To be fair, it is just the luck of the draw.

I don't think anyone can seriously suggest it's fixed?

(Although there is an impression that they have made the betfred cup up as they go along, from the initial week after the draw to announce the fixtures, and then the last 16 seeding, which appeared to first be mentioned when Rangers went 2-0 up v Stranraer. :lol: )

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair, it is just the luck of the draw.

I don't think anyone can seriously suggest it's fixed?

(Although there is an impression that they have made the betfred cup up as they go along, from the initial week after the draw to announce the fixtures, and then the last 16 seeding, which appeared to first be mentioned when Rangers went 2-0 up v Stranraer. :lol: )

Hasn't the last 16 always been seeded,when European teams enter?

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Hasn't the last 16 always been seeded,when European teams enter?

It's been seeded for years.

Just this time, other than the European entrants, they've given preference to group winners rather than simply basing it on your league position from the previous season.

Yeah it's always been seeded with European teams being seeded no matter their league position. It seems a fair enough way to seed the draw and gives teams some incentive to win their group well, makes it interesting.

Since I'm on holiday, and not due to me being a sad case, I had a look at the Scottish and League Cup draws since Rangers reformed in the 3rd division. I don't think that the draws were fixed, maybe Rangers just got very, very lucky in the draws and beat the odds. But as I thought they have been drawn away against a top league team once and that was in their first season. Didn't happen again.

In the main cups they have had 18 home ties and only 8 away.

It is their draw record against top league teams which is even more unusual. They have been drawn at home 8 times compared to just 1 away!

Edited by iainmac1

Just now, iainmac1 said:

Yeah it's always been seeded with European teams being seeded no matter their league position. It seems a fair enough way to seed the draw and gives teams some incentive to win their group well, makes it interesting.

Since I'm on holiday, and not due to me being a sad case, I had a look at the Scottish and League Cup draws since Rangers reformed in the 3rd division. I don't think that the draws were fixed, maybe Rangers just got very, very lucky in the draws and beat the odds. But as I thought they have been drawn against a top league team once and that was in their first season. Didn't happen again.

It is their draw record against top league teams which is even more unusual. They have been drawn at home 8 times compared to just 1 away!

I'm not sure the European teams have always been seeded as such. Just that their league position from the previous season has meant it has worked out that way.

12 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye it's out of order mate. We should start a petition and see if they will allocate a Motherwell section....... 

2 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

You're all looking at it the wrong way, the authorities doing there best to make sure the diddy teams in the top league get as much of the blue pound as they can. Home tie for the Gers mean all of these smaller teams get the money without which they wouldn't survive ;)

Since I'm on holiday, and not due to me being a sad case, I had a look at the Scottish and League Cup draws since Rangers reformed in the 3rd division. I don't think that the draws were fixed, maybe Rangers just got very, very lucky in the draws and beat the odds. But as I thought they have been drawn away against a top league team once and that was in their first season. Didn't happen again.

Seems like a good opportunity to bring up this stat, but Killie were drawn at home in the League Cup 14 times in a row between 2008 and 2015 (apart from semis and finals obviously).

Those stats were for the seasons they were in the lower leagues

So now that you've reduced the sample to just those games that support your false assumption you're happy that you've been proved right?

You'll never make a scientist. ?

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So now that you've reduced the sample to just those games that support your false assumption you're happy that you've been proved right?

You'll never make a scientist. ?

Not sure what you're blabering on about. It's not a false assumption. The stats back it up. 

Now they are in the top league for the first time they can't avoid playing teams from that league away from home. When in the lower leagues they miraculously avoided away ties to top league teams. 

If you want me to include this season then it's 20 home to 10 away.

And 8 home ties to against top league teams compared to 2 away. 

Doesn't really change much eh?