Belgium v Italy - Page 2 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belgium v Italy

Rossy

I don't  think Italy can keep up that tempo for the whole tournament. Not without drugs anyway. But, I suppose that having won tonight they will be able to take it a bit easier against Ireland and Sweden. Two draws will do them fine. It's the Italian way.

Edited by Orraloon

Italy were impressive tonight. Surprised really, but much like Germany, we should never write the Tallies off. A fantastic first goal - great ball, brilliant first-touch and an excellent finish.

Conte used his substitutions well, and the Italians were clever with their fouling and breaking down of the Belgian build-up play.

Thought Vertonghen was excellent for Belgium, Mertens did alright as well although a poor final ball/third, and Hazard had a pretty good game. KDB was a disappointment - how does he get on with Hazard? Could be nothing in it, but didn't look like they were linking up well when in the same area. 

Saying that, I thought both teams had a good second half. Belgium unlucky not to get a leveler, but is Lukaku, Benteke or Origi good enough to knock the ball in when they need it - today especially.

Going by the other game, Belgium and Italy look the two best teams in the group, but there will be a bit of pressure on them in the next match. It'll be interesting to see them again and if they can put teams away.

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Italy were impressive tonight. Surprised really, but much like Germany, we should never write the Tallies off. A fantastic first goal - great ball, brilliant first-touch and an excellent finish.

Conte used his substitutions well, and the Italians were clever with their fouling and breaking down of the Belgian build-up play.

Thought Vertonghen was excellent for Belgium, Mertens did alright as well although a poor final ball/third, and Hazard had a pretty good game. KDB was a disappointment - how does he get on with Hazard? Could be nothing in it, but didn't look like they were linking up well when in the same area. 

Saying that, I thought both teams had a good second half. Belgium unlucky not to get a leveler, but is Lukaku, Benteke or Origi good enough to knock the ball in when they need it - today especially.

Going by the other game, Belgium and Italy look the two best teams in the group, but there will be a bit of pressure on them in the next match. It'll be interesting to see them again and if they can put teams away.

Hazard had a good game but after all his little runs there was nothing much on for him. KDB seemed to be constantly switching sides depending on what Hazard was doing and looked out of sorts. I guess hazard is the leader in that relationship.

The Belgian fans after the match were pretty much putting it all on Wilmots. They need a manager with a little bit extra and he's been given too many chances now. Considering the players he has to use he should be doing better in tournaments.

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Stick to the computer generated algorithms ;)

Or statistics as they are called.

Very impressed with the Italians tbf, thought they were excellent although they've got no chance of winning it.

Only seen second half, but not convinced Italians were as good as everyone thinks. Italians had to give 100% to beat a pretty flat Belgium team,who actually let them off the hook with at least a couple of shocking misses. Italians also had to resort to at least three professional fouls to stop good Belgium counter-attacks - 4 yellow cards in one game isn't sustainable and is hardly the mark of a top team if you ask me.

No doubting Italy were better team but not convinced they were great.

1 hour ago, thewelk said:

The Belgian fans after the match were pretty much putting it all on Wilmots. They need a manager with a little bit extra and he's been given too many chances now. Considering the players he has to use he should be doing better in tournaments.

On paper they have a great side, some real talent. Can see why eyes are turning to the manager for not getting the best from them.

Perhaps as others have said, a team of individuals, rather than a good team unit? Feillani isn't a team player in my eyes. Very much a David Luiz type "look at me" player.

Bet the Italians for the tournament.

Not based on any in depth knowledge. Just based on the 16/1 price, and their defence and therefore ability to grind out results, which will see them out the group and wins knockout ties....

Will probably look to lay it off if they come up against Germany, France or Spain.

Pretty impressed with their performance though, much of the cynical defending we've come to expect, but with a pace and intensity that's a bit of a change.

Edited by sbcmfc

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Bet the Italians for the tournament.

Not based on any in depth knowledge. Just based on the 16/1 price, and their defence and therefore ability to grind out results, which will see them out the group and wins knockout ties....

Will probably look to lay it off if they come up against Germany, France or Spain.

Pretty impressed with their performance though, much of the cynical defending we've come to expect, but with a pace and intensity that's a bit of a change.

I took them on an each way bet.