Scottish Challenge Cup expanded to include teams from Wales & NI - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Challenge Cup expanded to include teams from Wales & NI

58 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Anything that makes the game more interesting to people should be encouraged.

I think they've made a good decision with this, and with the League cup.

It certainly can't be described as new and innovatived. Someone scoffed at Craig Brown and Walter Smith putting forward new ideas into improving football but this is just regurgitating old competitions that these guys probably played in. OK I'm going back a bit here and it may interest folk who've never experienced it but these set ups were scrapped for a reason - after a short time no one was interested (can I just point out it was the latter years of these tournaments I remember, I'm not old :( Rangers v Chesterfield in the Anglo Scottish Cup sticks in my mind for some reason)

Guest BlueGaz

I like the idea, but I don't think it will work in practice. Too many part time teams involved and they will struggle. Particularly if playing away and they need to leave on a Friday.  

Based on this thread alone it's clear you can't keep everyone happy. Albeit with good reason most of the time, our footballing authorities are pretty much damned by some for anything they do. I like the League Cup changes. Less fussed about this Challenge Cup but can see more benefits than negatives. However, there seems to be some major skirting round the edges here - surely the issue in hand is League reconstruction?  Or are we simply resigned to the monotony of playing each other 4 times a year solely so Sky can get 4 Ugly Sister matches?? 

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Based on this thread alone it's clear you can't keep everyone happy. Albeit with good reason most of the time, our footballing authorities are pretty much damned by some for anything they do. I like the League Cup changes. Less fussed about this Challenge Cup but can see more benefits than negatives. However, there seems to be some major skirting round the edges here - surely the issue in hand is League reconstruction?  Or are we simply resigned to the monotony of playing each other 4 times a year solely so Sky can get 4 Ugly Sister matches?? 

I think it is a great idea and anything that could make football in Scotland better, or more interesting should be explored.  But, we have a lot of part time football here and Wales/NI away games would warrant leaving a day earlier than normal.  I don't see how most part time teams would be able to field their strongest team each week to do that.  Maybe if more games were on a Sunday it could work.  They would also have to avoid mid week fixtures, so hurdles to over come, although early stages I appreciate.

3 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

How will this work in the case of Dundee United / Rangers?

I see that where each team comes in at is dependant upon where they finished last season (e.g. teams 3-10 in league two come in at the first round).

So will it be rangers or Dundee United u20s that enter the tournament? 

Rangers U20s, Dundee United full team. Just as it has worked in previous years where the relegated team plays in the competetion and the promoted team does not.

Edited by theweestevie

The league cup group matches in July look broadly very interesting and this too has a lot of good potential. 

t

Obviously it's a mystery as to how U20s and the wales & NI teams will all do but part of the fun not knowing what might happen !

TV will surely be interested in Scotland . Wales/NI matches bringing in some cash  

Sky has no English games to show on these dates,

A guid idea.. give it a go, why Not?

Well done for trying,,,