Muhammad Ali - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Obviously not deserving of his own thread so I'll just tag it on here - Kimbo Slice deid at 42!

Steroids related and God knows what else I'd wager.

"Kimbo Slice"? Is that not a cake from the Mr Kipling range?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mox said:

The Thrilla in Manilla was on More 4 last night, what a ##### Ali was to Frazier.

It is almost certain that 99% of the vitriol between the two was staged and intended to promote the fights.

George Foreman admitted this himself

Ali took it way too far with the "Uncle Tom" remarks and yes Frazier was raging

However it was a visibly completely ludicrous accusation considering Ali's trainer was white and his entourage composed of more white people than any other black boxer of the time.

What you have to remember is that Joe Frazier was just as amibitious as Ali

Joe pushed the boat out to get Ali's suspension lifted. Not because he was his best buddy (although they were friends) but because he respected him, believed that it was unjust and wanted to prove that he was better than him.

Joe was the Champion of the World when Ali was suspended and then gubbed him in the fight of the century when Ali made his comeback.

Yet even after that Ali got more attention than him and was still seen by most people as the best of all time

Joe hated Ali much more for that than for any hypocritical name calling

He did come to realise later in life that they all needed each other

Edited by Ally Bongo

In fact i dont even think he hated him at all

It was just an act to continue the myth

From 1978 after Manilla

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's amazing how try and spin things to suit their own viewpoint. 

Isnt it

Im afraid there is plenty evidence to suggest it was all one big act

So the only people left that really hated Ali are the KKK, a couple of his ex wives and you 

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Isnt it

Im afraid there is plenty evidence to suggest it was all one big act

So the only people left that really hated Ali are the KKK, a couple of his ex wives and you 

There's also plenty to of evidence to suggest it wasn't and that you're just spinning things to attempt to paint the picture you want to see. 

I never said i hated him, you just made that up. :ok: I merely said the deifying of him bemuses me. Given your inability to read an understand simple posts like mines on this thread, it's no surprise to me that you have a strange (to me) interpretation of Ali's interaction with Frazier.  

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

There's also plenty to of evidence to suggest it wasn't and that you're just spinning things to attempt to paint the picture you want to see. 

And you arent ?

If Joe Frazier really despised Ali would he have appeared on his This is Your Life AFTER Manilla and give the impression that he really liked him ?

If Joe Frazier really despised Ali would he have went on numerous talk shows around the world with Foreman and Ali in the 90s

If Joe Frazier really despised Ali surely he would have given instructions that he wasnt invited to his funeral ?

Think how much more money and interest this myth has made both of them and those that wrote books about it

Ali did worse to Ernie Shavers yet it is barely mentioned

I never said i hated him, you just made that up. :ok: I merely said the deifying of him bemuses me. Given your inability to read an understand simple posts like mines on this thread, it's no surprise to me that you have a strange (to me) interpretation of Ali's interaction with Frazier.  

Yes i understood it

You want to be the most unpopular person on the board and go against the grain on most subjects

Were you even alive before Ali's last fight in 1981 ? 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

You want to be the most unpopular person on the board and go against the grain on most subjects

:lol: 

Absolute belter. I think what it think, regardless of whether guys who think wearing a glengarry with a big feather in it to fitbaw is a good idea, agree or not. 

You've started using words like "hate" and "despise" and attributing them to me. I never used those words. I have said that the deifying of Ali bemuses me and scoffed at the claim that he is the greatest human being who ever lived. If you're desperate for an argument, then try and argue against what i've actually said, not just what you wish i'd said. 

As for the comments about my age - :lol: Aye because it's impossible to learn about stuff that happened before you were alive... :unsure: 

15 minutes ago, phart said:

Joe Frasier hated Ali.

IMO there is far too much contradictory stuff to believe that 100%

I think we have all been conned hook line and sinker

Sure in the lead up to the fights and during the fights they wanted to beat the crap out of each other but that was their sport

One minute Joe Frazier is saying he hates him and the next he is saying he doesnt

Perpetuating the myth makes money for a lot of people - not just the two of them

As far as im concerned the "This is Your Life" episode pretty much nails my theory

Image result for ali joe frazier love

Edited by Ally Bongo

He consistently said he hated him, unless he was doing shows to make money.

He said he wished he had pushed him into the Olympic flame and killed him when asked about Ali's lighting of the Torch at the Atlanta Olympics , the backlash taught him to keep it quiet and just smile and wave to make cash.

Frasiers answering machine message on his phone is him boasting about giving Ali Parkinsons. Or was rather.

Edited by phart

5 minutes ago, phart said:

He consistently said he hated him, unless he was doing shows to make money.

He said he wished he had pushed him into the Olympic flame and killed him when asked about Ali's lighting of the Torch at the Atlanta Olympics , the backlash taught him to keep it quiet and just smile and wave to make cash.

Frasiers answering machine message on his phone is him boasting about giving Ali Parkinsons. Or was rather.

Aware of all this but still convinced it was all engineered

For years i believed it was genuine and wanted it to be true

Im also not one for conspiracy theories either

It's just that you see articles written last week saying things like "Dont expect any well wishes from the Joe Frazier family"

And then you say to yourself - "Wait a minute - Joe Frazier's daughter was at Ali's funeral with her daughter and Ali was there for the Frazier family when Joe died and also attended the funeral

Its mince

34 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

For years i believed it was genuine and wanted it to be true

Im also not one for conspiracy theories either

It's just that you see articles written last week saying things like "Dont expect any well wishes from the Joe Frazier family"

And then you say to yourself - "Wait a minute - Joe Frazier's daughter was at Ali's funeral with her daughter and Ali was there for the Frazier family when Joe died and also attended the funeral

Its mince

Or he had conflicting thoughts, vacillating between trying to forgive and his feelings.

I reckon he could never let it go, but tried(probably more for his own sake so hate wasn't eating him up.). Obviously the relationship is much more complicated , and i reckon the inconsistencies is more to do with the changing moods of the men than any co-ordinated public relations scheme.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

Or he had conflicting thoughts, vacillating between trying to forgive and his feelings.

I reckon he could never let it go, but tried(probably more for his own sake so hate wasn't eating him up.). Obviously the relationship is much more complicated , and i reckon the inconsistencies is more to do with the changing moods of the men than any co-ordinated public relations scheme.

Suppose

Foreman said that Frazier hated Ali because he loved him and vice versa (obviously in a plutonic fashion)

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Suppose

Foreman said that Frazier hated Ali because he loved him and vice versa (obviously in a plutonic fashion)

They spent over an hour locked in hellish combat with each other. Those fights especially the third were brutal affairs. Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti became almost soul mates after their equally brutal trilogy. So that respect tainted with the memories of the promotion, it'll create complex feelings towards another.

It's a super interesting relationship, Frasier probably both hated and loved Ali. Ali would say a "joke" Frasier would take it as a slight and they'd start all over again.

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

He definitely did hate him for a long time. But according to his family the pair did reconcile a few years back. 

Thanks- that was a great wee film

He was alright was Joe

It does give the impression that the two of them never spoke until much later but we know that Joe did appear on Ali's This is Your Life and went touring with Ali and George before Ali couldnt do it anymore

I can remember watching the TIYL show as a wee boy and i felt a bit cheated when it came across that they were "friends"

I guess he did have a grudge and kept it hidden but also that he did kinda love Ali too

Ali seemed to have that impression on most people he met seemingly

There is no doubt though that neither of them would have been as famous without the other

Joe Frazier is the integral part of the Ali story and the one that most people are interested in just as Ali is the integral part of Joe's story

When you see some of the bums that are going around today in that division ;)