Coffee Machine - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am truly baffled at how popular coffee is. Queues of people standing outside Cafe Nero or holding up the sausage roll counter in Greggs. All I taste is a biiter film around my mouth. Give me a mug of Yorkshire Gold tea any day.

There must be someting in it i suppose, especially if people are willing to pay hundreds of pounds for a machine whilst a multi million pound industry thrives on it. 

I like having a footer. Although I will admit to using the Tassimo if I'm rushing about before work.

Tell me more about the aeropress ? Thinking about our forthcoming holiday.............we have a 'French press' there but I miss my morning espresso and was looking at the hand held espresso things. Reviews suggest aeropress does a good espresso. What like - tits bum fanny the lot ?

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am truly baffled at how popular coffee is. Queues of people standing outside Cafe Nero or holding up the sausage roll counter in Greggs. All I taste is a biiter film around my mouth. Give me a mug of Yorkshire Gold tea any day.

There must be someting in it i suppose, especially if people are willing to pay hundreds of pounds for a machine whilst a multi million pound industry thrives on it. 

Coffee is packed with chemicals, including caffeine, which can create dependency. Like weed. and like weed some folk use a £800 Volcano vaporiser to smoke it, some folk use a can with holes in it.

Apparently the secret to good coffee is in the pressure. That is what you pay for in all these top quality commercial machines, the ability to achieve a certain pressure that then results in a crema blah blah. The aeropress is supposed to achieve this pressure at a low cost but to be honest nothing has ever come close to the coffee you routinely get served in Italy. Those wee capsules are mega bowfin shite that appeal to tastebud dead coffee ignoramuses. I use a Moka Pot at home which gives a decent cup without the pressure hassle.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Apparently the secret to good coffee is in the pressure. That is what you pay for in all these top quality commercial machines, the ability to achieve a certain pressure that then results in a crema blah blah. The aeropress is supposed to achieve this pressure at a low cost but to be honest nothing has ever come close to the coffee you routinely get served in Italy. Those wee capsules are mega bowfin shite that appeal to tastebud dead coffee ignoramuses. I use a Moka Pot at home which gives a decent cup without the pressure hassle.

It's all a matter of personal taste, like many things in life.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I have a metal contraption that cost less than 10 euros and is a pressure based one.

Personal tastes and identity claims get mixed up.

46 minutes ago, fringo said:

By whom ?

Folk with expensive coffee machines (and everyone else)

I'm not being entirely serious either, folks coffee machines costing more than my car (which ran for 3 years and counting) always looks weird, to me. Of course i might be the crazy one.

9 minutes ago, phart said:

Folk with expensive coffee machines (and everyone else)

I'm not being entirely serious either, folks coffee machines costing more than my car (which ran for 3 years and counting) always looks weird, to me. Of course i might be the crazy one.

I'm maybe being overly precious here but you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

I'm the last person to buy the latest or trendiest items and do think it's a pile of w*ank. My mobile is about 10 years old.

However, the coffee maker is one thing I thing is cracking (and it's the cheapest Nespresso on the market).

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

I'm maybe being overly precious here but you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

I'm the last person to buy the latest or trendiest items and do think it's a pile of w*ank. My mobile is about 10 years old.

However, the coffee maker is one thing I thing is cracking (and it's the cheapest Nespresso on the market).

Fringo. It's your money and if you get joy out of it then it's money well spent.

Half the time in these sort of threads I'm just playing about , when i used to mention playing world of warcraft, i got all the "virgin" comments, playing with guys who pretend to be girls etc. basically the south park episode.

I'm poor as feck. I can't afford it. I'm sure if i could i'd have a nice coffee maker as well. In fact the two things i;d get would be a fridge with ice dispenser, and a nice big bath. Then bread maker and coffee maker.

Going to put a lottery ticket on i think.

10 hours ago, neil r said:

I've got a kettle, its a piece of piss. Can be used for making tea too although other hot beverages are available.

No footer whatsoever.

What is this sorcery  you speak of?

4 hours ago, phart said:

Coffee is packed with chemicals, including caffeine, which can create dependency. Like weed. and like weed some folk use a £800 Volcano vaporiser to smoke it, some folk use a can with holes in it.

Bet you more folk are addicted to coffee than weed though.

I just cant get into coffee at all. Tried various types from various places, nice cafes, shiteholes, starbucks the lot. Just meh. Give me tea any day.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Fringo. It's your money and if you get joy out of it then it's money well spent.

Half the time in these sort of threads I'm just playing about , when i used to mention playing world of warcraft, i got all the "virgin" comments, playing with guys who pretend to be girls etc. basically the south park episode.

I'm poor as feck. I can't afford it. I'm sure if i could i'd have a nice coffee maker as well. In fact the two things i;d get would be a fridge with ice dispenser, and a nice big bath. Then bread maker and coffee maker.

Going to put a lottery ticket on i think.

Can I add it was also in a sale..?

I wouldn't have thought about it a few years ago until I visited a friend abroad who also had one of the more basic ones and thought it was great. It's one of my few luxuries but still much less than the majority of the UK spend on smartphones, ipads etc let alone much bigger items.

Apologies if I was being overly defensive, as I'm certainly not one of those people who wastes money on the latest gizmos - in fact quite the opposite.

On 5/28/2016 at 6:29 PM, Brassrubber said:

I only use my aero press now makes a great cup of coffee from ground coffee 

On 5/28/2016 at 9:18 PM, phart said:

I've got two of these but they ain't suited for lattes, my favoured coffee concoction. Also, they just don't come close enough to tasting like the same coffee when made with a beans to cup machine, Illy and Lavazza being the most recent brands i've put to the taste test. 

On 5/29/2016 at 0:54 PM, thewolf_1980 said:

I've got both a Tassimo and bean machine. Stick to the Tassimo, it's less footery.

I was very happy with my Tassimo, until I was no longer able to get my two favoured brands locally. 

On 5/29/2016 at 11:12 PM, Kirk said:

Bet you more folk are addicted to coffee than weed though.

I just cant get into coffee at all. Tried various types from various places, nice cafes, shiteholes, starbucks the lot. Just meh. Give me tea any day.

Your bet's a winner!

Coffee / Caffeine is the world's most consumed psychoactive substance by far! Not too dissimilar to cocaine, both being central nervous stimulants. Both with addiction potential. 

23 hours ago, McExpat said:

I've got two of these but they ain't suited for lattes, my favoured coffee concoction. Also, they just don't come close enough to tasting like the same coffee when made with a beans to cup machine, Illy and Lavazza being the most recent brands i've put to the taste test. 

I was very happy with my Tassimo, until I was no longer able to get my two favoured brands locally. 

Your bet's a winner!

Coffee / Caffeine is the world's most consumed psychoactive substance by far! Not too dissimilar to cocaine, both being central nervous stimulants. Both with addiction potential. 

Cocaine being far more fun occasionaly than coffee every day

On 02/06/2016 at 1:20 AM, McExpat said:

I like this answer. Acknowledgement they taste different by method but no spin about it being better. Fortunately for me my subjective view is the taste is better via the cheaper method.

You might have good Coffee but your cocaine is shit if you think the have a not dissimilar psychoactive affect ;)

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:20 AM, McExpat said:

Your bet's a winner!

you seem to know a lot about drugs, are you expat-ted in peru somewhere?