Dental Implants - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dental Implants

7 minutes ago, antidote said:

But he'll argue that I don't need them :lol:

I do know that getting then done private in Scotland is a significant amount of money to the point that I've know a couple of people who went to Hungary for a week to get the implants done and it was about half the price of getting done here.

51 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I have had three but got them on the NHS due to a previous medical issue. Go to Hungary. Will save you a lot of money.

I'm intrigues as to how you managed to get them on the NHS.

I thought of going oversea, but I wouldn't know where to start, hence the fact I was hoping someone on here had already been and done that.

Don't trust the ads on the internet too much as they can say just about anything about how good they are and what a nice modern clinic they have.

7 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

I do know that getting then done private in Scotland is a significant amount of money to the point that I've know a couple of people who went to Hungary for a week to get the implants done and it was about half the price of getting done here.

Now we're talking.

Yes clinics here charge a lot, I've heard from £1800-£4000 for one plug, don't know if that includes the ceramic tooth/teeth, bone graph (for smokers) or x-rays. Scottish clinics certainly know how the ramp up the cost.

I mentioned to my dentist that I will go overseas to get them done, she nearly had a heart attack and tried every trick in the book to get me to use a Scottish clinic.

Of course I'm sure she's is on a commission for referrals, she would do that.

Do you know what clinic they used?

43 minutes ago, antidote said:

I'm intrigues as to how you managed to get them on the NHS.

I thought of going oversea, but I wouldn't know where to start, hence the fact I was hoping someone on here had already been and done that.

Don't trust the ads on the internet too much as they can say just about anything about how good they are and what a nice modern clinic they have.

I had a chronic illness The treatment to combat it caused degradation of my saliva glands which led to rapid tooth decay. I have a lot of crowns as well.

7 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I had a chronic illness The treatment to combat it caused degradation of my saliva glands which led to rapid tooth decay. I have a lot of crowns as well.

Hope all is well now.

For me I've suffered with abscesses since I was about 12. Lost 2 teeth about 2 years ago eating hard boiled sweets, lemon sherbets.

Crunching them is not a good idea.

i got three teeth knocked out 10 years ago (playing football not a bevy incident I might add). Had the option then of going for dental implants or a plate - dentist pushed for the former and I went for the latter. I broke the plate once when falling (our running I also might add) and other than that have had absolutely no problems with it all and think i made the right choice. Messing about with your gums through implants just seems to me to open yourself up to potential problems further down the line. In saying that a plate probably only best for front teeth and maybe implants for other teeth the better option.......

2 hours ago, antidote said:

Now we're talking.

Yes clinics here charge a lot, I've heard from £1800-£4000 for one plug, don't know if that includes the ceramic tooth/teeth, bone graph (for smokers) or x-rays. Scottish clinics certainly know how the ramp up the cost.

I mentioned to my dentist that I will go overseas to get them done, she nearly had a heart attack and tried every trick in the book to get me to use a Scottish clinic.

Of course I'm sure she's is on a commission for referrals, she would do that.

Do you know what clinic they used?

You walked into somebody's work and told them you didn't value their profession and would rather go abroad to undercut them?

And then followed it up by accusing them of being on commission.

Lovely.

9 hours ago, deecie said:

You walked into somebody's work and told them you didn't value their profession and would rather go abroad to undercut them?

Lovely.

they will be on commission - my dentist was advising me to go to their preferred dental surgeon rather than go to a a NHS Dental Surgeon who was available with a wee bit longer wait

I think South Africa can be reasonable prices as well  

Dentis keeps wanting me to have a Bridge in ZA to replace plate, and quotes around GBP 500

I think my friend got 2 teeth impants for about  GBP 500 each 

I'm considering an implant for a front tooth.   Came off recently and have been told to wait between 4 and 6 months before going back.  

Private hospital in Malta want €2400 for one tooth...  however have seen it as low as €750 in Gozo for the same treatment. 

Looked at Latvia for the treatment, but I think an implant would take more than one visit?    That would take up all the 'savings'. 

Also considering a bridge as I'm not keen on all the work done before and during an implant...  shit-scared of the dentist after a bad experience years ago with root canal.  

On 13/04/2016 at 11:02 AM, antidote said:

Anyone had any Dental Implants?

Lost another one of my chewing teeth (abscess) and I'm thinking of getting dental implants.

Got any ideas on costs and any recommendations for clinics in the central belt?

I have one implant, cost me £1500 but needed done sadly. Currently having issues with mine but its due to having a small mouth and an overbite. It just needs tightened up which doesnt take long. 

My one piece of advice if you do go for it is get knocked out when getting the metal put into your gum. I was awake for the surgery and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. An hour and a half of them cutting my gums and bone etc, although I was numb I could definatley feel them tearing the gums, was horrible. 

My face was also swolen for about a week after and felt a bit shite for a while.

Would also request to havet the screw in as if you have any trouble they can jist unscrew it and sort it very easily. My current one isnt a screw and wont come off as the cement wont break ? waoting to get it drilled off this week and changed to scree again.

Worth it though.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Would also request to havet the screw in as if you have any trouble they can jist unscrew it and sort it very easily. My current one isnt a screw and wont come off as the cement wont break ? waoting to get it drilled off this week and changed to scree again.

Worth it though.

I really wouldn't fancy that.

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

I really wouldn't fancy that.

Ive had so much work done over the years im not too fussed. Not because ive had bad teeth or anything but because of having a small mouth I had to get four teeth surgically removed that werent coming through properly,then I had one thst was 180 degrees the wrong way that they turned around when I had a bottom brace ? good times. Its not pleasent in any way but Im not terrified of the dentist at all the way some are.

On 4/13/2016 at 3:30 PM, deecie said:

Lovely.

Yes.

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

I have one implant, cost me £1500 but needed done sadly. Currently having issues with mine but its due to having a small mouth and an overbite. It just needs tightened up which doesnt take long. 

My one piece of advice if you do go for it is get knocked out when getting the metal put into your gum. I was awake for the surgery and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. An hour and a half of them cutting my gums and bone etc, although I was numb I could definatley feel them tearing the gums, was horrible. 

My face was also swolen for about a week after and felt a bit shite for a while.

Worth it though.

Thanks for the advice on screw plugs, I never thought of asking that question.

I've been speaking to the guy from the clinic Larky recommended. He said that they give you a Valium which knocks you out and freeze your gums up so you'll not feel anything.

I am expecting pain for a good few days after though. 

12 hours ago, deecie said:

I recommend the mastrick dental practice.

Believe it or not I knew a guy who got 1 implant in Aberdeen and it cost him £1800 all in, which is pretty reasonable for Aberdoom.

It could have been Mastrick