ICT v Hearts off - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ICT v Hearts off

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think Rangers were granted one v Gretna, when there was probably no need given how bad Gretna were and Rangers squad size, which was a factor in their fixture pile up at the end of the season. They then asked for the season to be extended and were told no. (Just off top of my head, may be wrong?)

They asked for an extension to the season which had already been extended...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

One first squad keeper. Why not use a reserve or youth as back-up. 

We've not been able to field a full bench for some games this season and had youth players on bench to make up numbers at other times. 

we didn't have a first squad keeper, just a youth keeper

16 hours ago, deecie said:

Food poisoning after eating at Parkhead.

Some coincidence.

really wish that were true but it started with the U-21 players after they had been away with Scotland 

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, that's right.

Seem to remember Rangers and Celtic playing Dundee United and Aberdeen on a Thursday or something in the end?

Yeah. Rangers lost 2-0 at Pittodrie, despite one of their players talking up the chances of them winning 6-0 (was it Darcheville?)

Nacho Novo got sent off for a shocking challenge on Stuart Duff, prompting @Flat Earth to look disgusted with him...

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Yeah there are plenty of instances of games being moved. There are also others where they are told no.

My point is simply that the clubs cant get together and decide on moving a game. The authorities have the final say in all cases. If one club asks for a postponement for some reason they might ask the opposing club for their views depending on the circumstances. However it's more likely they will make the decision based on the facts presented to them.

PS as a wee footnote, I'm sure both Celtic and Rangers were granted one and denied another postponement in their Uefa cup final runs. In both cases I'm pretty sure the opposing clubs were in agreement but the SPL said no

I can't speak for you boys but you are correct about Rangers. We got our league game with Gretna rearranged in the December to help prepare for the must win Lyon match (pumped 3-0). 

We then got to both domestic cup finals, as well as the uefa cup final, causing a bit of a back log.  After The UEFA  final we had to play Saturday - Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday (Scottish Cup Final). I think we requested that one of those midweek games were moved to the following week, which was refused as the season was actually supposed to finish the Saturday after the Uefa final. Slightly different scenario in that more than one game would have had to be moved on that occasion though. 

Edited by Angus_Young

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I think Rangers were granted one v Gretna, when there was probably no need given how bad Gretna were and Rangers squad size, which was a factor in their fixture pile up at the end of the season. They then asked for the season to be extended and were told no. (Just off top of my head, may be wrong?)

Certainly a factor but I dont think anyone would have expected us to be anywhere near a European final. We also had a game postponed in the Scottish Cup and a replay, which you simply can't predict and all happened afterwards. 

With hindsight, it was a stupid decision, at the time it probably made a bit more sense. 

5 hours ago, slasher said:

Sorry, but you're making it up. The authorities have the final say in all cases.

I am not. 

Only last season we brought a game forward to a free week when both sides were out the cup instead of playing it midweek. 

Clubs also change kick off times if the away sides agree. Happened last year when we played you on a Sunday at 1pm but it wasn't on TV. 

Most of the time the club's accommodate each other. In my example earlier celtic flatly refused. 

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I am not. 

Only last season we brought a game forward to a free week when both sides were out the cup instead of playing it midweek. 

Clubs also change kick off times if the away sides agree. Happened last year when we played you on a Sunday at 1pm but it wasn't on TV. 

Most of the time the club's accommodate each other. In my example earlier celtic flatly refused. 

Aye, but you would need SFA permission to do that. 

So they could have said no.

No game can be played withoot sfa permission. 

a minor point I know.

Widening out this debate from Hearts having the runs.

I notice the at least 2 Championship Clubs unhappy with their final matches being scheduled for early Sunday kick offs.

Always happens in the Premiership but I think its far too prescriptive.

Sunday lunchtime kicks are the pitts. Surely games where there is nothing at stake should be able to revert to the Saturday at 3pm.

Leading on from that why do the SPFL allow our final round of matches to be the starter for the EPL. Would it not be better to have a Friday night finale if all games have to kick off at the same time with all the focus on our league?

8 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Widening out this debate from Hearts having the runs.

I notice the at least 2 Championship Clubs unhappy with their final matches being scheduled for early Sunday kick offs.

Always happens in the Premiership but I think its far too prescriptive.

Sunday lunchtime kicks are the pitts. Surely games where there is nothing at stake should be able to revert to the Saturday at 3pm.

Leading on from that why do the SPFL allow our final round of matches to be the starter for the EPL. Would it not be better to have a Friday night finale if all games have to kick off at the same time with all the focus on our league?

Aye was reading this earlier. Falkirk are one of the Club's involved and is very similar to last season when Hearts - Rangers was being moved to the Sunday for TV, they weren't chuffed then either as they had arranged a Charity thing.

I agree with their stance on this, but they signed up to the TV deal like everyone else. It's about time our clubs got together to stop this sort of thing happening in the first place. 

The daft thing is, the league will be done by then, I dont really see the issue with their game staying on the Saturday, however he actually started going on about 'sporting integrity' in the last statement and how all games needed to kick off together. Can't have it all ways can you? 

That's a good point, I'd imagine some casual fans would be put off going to see say Motherwell v Dundee in a meaningless last game if they'd miss the finale of the EPL season on TV.

On your other point, I wonder how many completely meaningless games there are. Most games would probably have the possibility of a team moving up or down a place, which has an effect on prize money.

5 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Aye was reading this earlier. Falkirk are one of the Club's involved and is very similar to last season when Hearts - Rangers was being moved to the Sunday for TV, they weren't chuffed then either as they had arranged a Charity thing.

I agree with their stance on this, but they signed up to the TV deal like everyone else. It's about time our clubs got together to stop this sort of thing happening in the first place. 

The daft thing is, the league will be done by then, I dont really see the issue with their game staying on the Saturday, however he actually started going on about 'sporting integrity' in the last statement and how all games needed to kick off together. Can't have it all ways can you? 

Totally agree.

The clubs need to get together and ensure they protect themselves from some of the nonsense that tv foists upon them. 

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That's a good point, I'd imagine some casual fans would be put off going to see say Motherwell v Dundee in a meaningless last game if they'd miss the finale of the EPL season on TV.

On your other point, I wonder how many completely meaningless games there are. Most games would probably have the possibility of a team moving up or down a place, which has an effect on prize money.

How many fans have said 'I'll move heaven and earth to make the 12.30 game as the club might make £80k"? I take the point that clubs don't think its meaningless but to us fans finishing 8th over 9th is neither here nor there.

Sunday 12.30s particularly piss me off because that boys football time. How many youngsters miss out because they play?

4 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

How many fans have said 'I'll move heaven and earth to make the 12.30 game as the club might make £80k"? I take the point that clubs don't think its meaningless but to us fans finishing 8th over 9th is neither here nor there.

Sunday 12.30s particularly piss me off because that boys football time. How many youngsters miss out because they play?

I think you've missed my point there.

I was meaning in a "sporting integrity" type way.

ie, team x knows if they win 2-0 they move from 7th to 6th over taking team y who lost earlier...

18 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Yeah. Rangers lost 2-0 at Pittodrie, despite one of their players talking up the chances of them winning 6-0 (was it Darcheville?)

Nacho Novo got sent off for a shocking challenge on Stuart Duff, prompting @Flat Earth to look disgusted with him...

A distinct lack of abuse given by Mr Earth and Lamia there. Poor show. 

18 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

That clip probably sums up Novo, an idiot that laps up the adulation of the knuckle dragger element. 

He's pretty much a horrible person. From taking advantage of someone's hospitality and friendship by sleeping with his girlfriend to incidents like the above. A complete khunt. 

14 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I'd debate whether you can actually call them 'fans' of those clubs if they'd rather watch a foreign league on TV than go and support their own team.

It's listed on the spfl site as being postponed due to illness and injury. 

So injuries are being taken into account as well?

What is an acceptable injury list to get a game off or do you only need a couple of keepers injured?

Think one game earlier this season we had 9 first team players injured. We should have said both keepers had pulled a muscle and got the game off...

Edited by iainmac1

18 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

What is an acceptable injury list to get a game off or do you only need a couple of keepers injured?

Think one game earlier this season we had 9 first team players injured. We should have said both keepers had pulled a muscle and got the game off...

That would be a lie.

Edited by SMcoolJ

Perhaps but Neilson said before the game was postponed that he would hope some of those affected would make themselves avaliable. So how many are genuinely unable to play?

Also is having a couple of keepers injured and having to play a youth worse than having 9 outfield players out and having to play a number of teenagers?

Did Raith Rivers not have a keeper crisis back when we were in the first division and had to register a coach to play as they had no one else and he was well into his 40's?

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

Aye injuries are being taken into account. I heard Neilson say they had a total of 17 unavailable. 

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I'd debate whether you can actually call them 'fans' of those clubs if they'd rather watch a foreign league on TV than go and support their own team.

I did say casual fans (meaning they aren't too fussed, rather than wear stone island and fight each other).

There's "fans" that can take or leave a trip to Fir Park, and I presume most other grounds too. As much as they maybe aren't "real fans" I don't think a club that's home crowd has started to dip below 4000 can afford to be snobby about it. Some will always find an excuse not to go, but we should be encouraging folk to get out the pub, off the couch.... And down to fir park or wherever.